What's new

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released? (1 Viewer)

Rusty_W

Auditioning
I personally wouldn't miss musical changes as long as they put in any similar sounding 70s rock as it rarely contributed to the episode and it all sounded pretty much alike. Until reading this thread, I had thought that the show had nothing but generic 70s rock which was created just for the show by some third rate bar band. WKRP was a music generation before me and I've only caught it in mid 80s reruns, so I did not enjoy the music aspect of it at that time and I doubt I would today. The comedic interactions and relationships between the characters is what had mattered to me at the time and probably still will today.

Anyway, on a side note, how did the VHS releases fair with edits? I have only one VHS with ep 1 and 2 on it and it's been about 10 years since I have watched it, but it seemed to have plenty of the 70s music on it. I know, it's a 1992 video tape and that was a different time and era in contractual law and contract rights are much harder now on these matters, but if you had experienced any edits on the VHS tape releases, then those are probably the same ones you'll get on the DVD release.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
According to that link, there is music replacement.

If true, and it's hard to imagine otherwise, this will now be my official most disappointing release next year. :angry:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's very disappointing, but not surprising, that this release will involve music replacement. The music was so integral to WKRP that I cannot imagine that it will be the same show that I loved when it originally aired. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach with this one.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Everyone should be pleased that they are going through what lengths they have to to get Hugh Wilson to do the replacements. This is one of the best sitcoms of the past bar none. I hope that all fans of the show go out and purchase this set and stop worrying about a few changed songs. As someone else pointed out, most of the episodes haven't been seen in so long that it probably won't even be noticeable if something has been changed here or there.
Bring on DR. Fever & Herb Tarlek!!

THANKS FOX!!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
With this good news, maybe Fox can address some other classics in their vault- namely Batman, Peyton Place, and The Green Hornet!!!!

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Hold on there Dan...As has been pointed out already, we don't know the extent of the music replacement yet. Since there is SO much music in WKRP and it is quite integrated into many of the episodes, you can't just assume that we shouldn't worry about it.

To counter Rusty's previous statement, the music often did contribute directly to the episode or at least a specific scene. Few shows have this strong a tie to the music (hence the reason the show hasn't been released yet). A few cases jump to mind (I think they've been mentioned previously or in other threads):

- "Tiny Dancer" (in the episode with the Russians defecting)
- "Hot Blooded" is key to the scene where Les dresses up with the ascot and wig
- "Caravan" when Johnny is singing directly with the song
- "Dogs" when Arthur Carlson walks in and asks "do you hear barking?"

There's more...Those episodes would lose a great deal without those songs and couldn't simply have a dubbed over track. There are other instances where, they could get away with it, but for those of us familiar with the show we would still notice a different song showing up.

What I'm hoping for is that they get all the rights to "important songs" and those that have large chunks in the show (eg. "The Long Run", etc.). If Hugh Wilson is simply supervising what music they slip in - to replace "incidental" music that may be playing as people enter and leave the booth or that you may hear on the loudspeaker in the lobby, etc. - then I might understand and may consider buying...I can't imagine he would approve of a set that didn't include the songs I mentioned above, but I think a cautious approach is warranted so no one gets their hopes dashed.

Though I understand those who demand 100% music and no edits whatsoever, I'm willing to bend a bit in a case like WKRP because of the sheer amount of music and the reality that it might never come out. If they can do it by keeping 90-95% of the music and never lose context or create a jarring effect for those of us who loved the show way back then, I would indeed buy it.

But instead of telling people "not to worry about it", let's wait until we hear more...And then we start bitching and throwing random "rolleye" icons at each other...:)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
On that 70's show, they replaced music when it was not crucial to the scene. For example, the Pilot had them going to see Todd Rundgren in concert. Well, they had to get the rights to his music (Hello it's me, I Saw the light). Also in the career day show, Kitty is singing Bad Blood while it plays on the car radio. They really can't sub those scenes. While another kitchen scene had Lord's Prayer by Sister Janet Mead . No one was interacting with it, so they just put in some generic ligh rock instrumental.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I'd be happy if they would at least restore the episodes to match the original syndicated rerun package, since most of the music survived there.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Best sitcom ever made. Period. Other than the (few?) song changes, it's uncut I assume, hopefully no syndication junk. Not with Wilson's okay. I'm over the Moon, buy it folks! Or we'll all be sorry. BUY IT!!!!!! :D

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I am curious to see how this will turn out. If the replaced music is still effective and respects the tone of the show, I would consider getting it. Not one I will buy on the first day of release, but if after reading reviews and seeing reaction from fans, I feel the music substitution isn't too damaging, I would certainly consider getting it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

My feelings are pretty much the same as Bob's. While I'm willing to give the release some leeway if some non-essential background music is replaced (knowing how difficult it was to clear the music), if critical songs are replaced -- even with something that attempts to capture the same mood -- I will pass on the package. The original music was just too important to many of the stories for me to accept changes.

I will be another person waiting to see reviews before buying.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The same could be said about Lucas and Han shooting first.

This is a very easy call for me - unless ALL the music is intact, I wouldn't spend 2 cents on this set. If it all is intact, I'd gladly spend hundreds of dollars on it.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
But you read the newsletter, things have been replaced. Hmm, suit yourselves guys, I think you'll be sorry later.:frowning: C'mon, surely the jokes, the lines - those hilariously funny lines - is what's most important here, not a few seconds of some old songs. To me anyway. :D

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Just curious, but where is everyone getting the info about Hugh Wilson's actual participation in this set? All I've read is the one item at TSoD, and the only mention of HW there is:

Has more information been posted elsewhere?

Based on the above TSoD item, it sounds to me like HW hearing the music replacements could very easily have been a very informal or unofficial event, rather than denoting any sort of official participation on his part, or at the request of the studio.

I would love for someone to provide info to show otherwise!

Randy_Cre

Agent
The other question I have is this.... Does Hugh Wilson have a financial interest in the success of these sets?

If so, it's quite understandable that he would have some positive things to say about the edits (sorry but music replacements are edits as much as some people would like to pretend they're not).

Personally, for me, keeping an open mind regarding the set means waiting until we KNOW exactly what has been edited and replaced, and what has been left untouched. Not making a determination months in advance based on a guess of what might be worst case... or imagining through rose-colored glasses how unnoticable the changes will be.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
- "Tiny Dancer" (in the episode with the Russians defecting)
- "Hot Blooded" is key to the scene where Les dresses up with the ascot and wig
- "Caravan" when Johnny is singing directly with the song
- "Dogs" when Arthur Carlson walks in and asks "do you hear barking?"

so lets start a list of music essential to the show.

there's a start.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
After the Love Is Gone - when Johnny stands up Bailey for their date
Take the Long Way Home - when Andy is upset about the station's ratings

From the Christmas episode I can remember a Brenda Lee song, the barking dogs, Della Reese's "Merry Christmas Baby" and Venus starting to sing "White Christmas" and suddenly changing it to "Jingle Bells".

Incidentally, Jennifer's doorbell plays "Fly Me to the Moon" - I wonder if that's safe?

Randy_Cre

Agent
Don't forget the Theme Song, since it sets up the premise of the show.

Also another that stands out in my mind that I think was significant to the story, the theme from Patton on Young Master Carlson (I think that was the title of the episode) when Carlson's son arrives in his military school uniform.

Though I think I'd consider significant any song that would require other actors to come in and recite the lines (or even new lines) to be edited in. I consider replacing the original actors' voices and dialogue to be a serious change from the original (even if the actual episode times equal the original run times).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks