What's new

Engagement Rings.... (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
An update for potential future readers.

Several posts back Tim K recommended buying
The Diamond Buying Guide. I should have followed his advice.

Instead, I read a few reviews of that book, and it seemed that How to Buy a Diamond was closer to what I wanted and I bought it. That seems to have been a lesser purchase.

Cuellar's book receives strong reviews, and it seemed very informative as I first began shopping. But as I've done more research and talked with a local Gemologist, I'm finding important weaknesses, even important errors, with this book.

My gemologist has now also recommended The Diamond Buying Guide. I wish I'd bought that, rather than Cuellar's book. I'd have been better educated. And I'm thankful for my gemologist for going above and beyond in educating me. His time and expertise will justify the higher cost compared to, say, Blue Nile.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

I have this book. I thought it was pretty good, but I would like to issue a word of warning. I'm sure you noticed in the book that the author puts a high emphasis on cut (as he should). You will also notice that he has a toll-free phone number to call and ask for advice. This is where things get interesting. Try calling and giving him specifications (the ones used to determine the cut quality) of a diamond you are considering. Chances are, they will tell you that there is something wrong. You may end up doing this several times to the point of exasperation. That is when they will try to sell you a diamond from them.

This has happened to many people. Check out the Diamond Forum at www.diamondtalk.com and search for Cuellar. You may surprised what you get back.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hmmm. I couldn't figure out what his angle was. He presents himself as a consumer advocate, which was credible since I didn't see him trying to sell anything. I'll check out the link.

Fred Cueller provides some quality information. His emphasis on cut is well-placed, as everyone agrees it's the most important contributor to a diamond's appearance.

Explaining that a VVS clarity diamond is not the best choice for worn jewelry was helpful and confirmed by other sources.

Recommending to "buy shy" (0.49 ct instead of 0.50 ct) is a handy tip, and saved me some money while getting the look I want.

His relationship advice, stories of crooked sellers, and anecdotes are interesting, amusing, and can be helpful.

However, there are problems.

His explanation of the proper cut for the Round is essentially correct, but more research show's his understanding is becoming outdated and may mislead people. The "ideal" is based on a 2D ray-trace of a diamond which ignores some aspects of dispersion. Today, full 3D models of diamonds can be performed -- I could probably do a decent one given a month and a particular piece of software. With that, his disagreement with GIA's new recommendations for "ideal" may well be incorrect and misleading people from good purchases.

Worse, his recommendation for choosing proper proportions of a Princess cut seem to be plain wrong. I'm still looking into this, but right now my understanding is that if had bought my Princess-cut diamond according to his proportions, I'd have a poorly cut stone.

While buying shy is a money saver, I'm not convinced it is nearly so useful today as he suggests. Prices I've seen don't jump dramatically at the round carat weights.

His recommendation on fluorescence are not universally held. My jeweler recommends some degree of fluorescence for non-colorless stones to mask the yellow and improve the perceived whiteness of the stone. This is a matter of taste and I'm choosing to believe my jeweler over Cueller.

For anyone looking for diamond buying advice, be wary of Cueller's book. While he provides a lot of useful information to the ignorant (like me), that is also what makes it so risky. The ignorant can't readily identify the weaknesses and errors in his book without further research.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I don't think price-matching really works too well in with diamonds. Sure, if they both have GIA certs you can, in theory, compare color, clarity, and carat. However, the cut is what is probably the most important of the C's. It would be very easy for a store to price match Blue Nile, but be offering a lower quality cut since the GIA doesn't have a set rating system for cut.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

I had this problem. My wife really wanted a princess cut, so I went looking for one with the specified proportions. I could not find one anywhere. Worse, all of the stones that I looked at were so far off from the book's recomendation that I figured they must be cut very poorly. Eventually I came to the conclusion that the only place in the world to buy a princess cut meeting his specifications was from him. That is when I started to wonder why he was the only person in the world who knew how to cut a princess.

I ended up finding some other sources for princess cut specifications from the AGA certification website based in Philadelphia. It was the only other source I could find anywhere that had a princess cut grading spec. I cannot seem to find their website anymore, and I suspect they are no longer in business.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you find it, please post.

I did some research last night and my jeweler emailed some info about the Princess cut. It's very confusing and seemingly no agreement.

He is using software from the American Gemological Society (AGS) which rated a diamond I like as AGS 0, or Ideal. However, its proportions would merit it a lesser rating by Cueller's, Blue Nile's, and GemAppraiser.com's standards. And, those three don't agree with each other.

Since cut drives cost, this is very unsettling to me as a consumer. Not knowing how to identify a good gem, and lacking confidence in the rating system, how do I know if I'm getting a fair price or the quality gem I want?

What if the software changes next year and my stone is no re-rated as AGS2 or worse? Can I get a refund for having paid too much?

Stick with rounds. Much easier. :)

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

I agree. Unfortunately, the wife wanted a princess cut. I guess it all worked out in the end: I supposed I got a fair price (though I have the same conerns you do), my wife loved the ring, and I really haven't given any thought to the whole thing since (almost 2 years now).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You want easy? Buy the ring at Tiffany. They're very expensive, however
  • You have no doubt as to the diamond quality in any of the "C"s
  • You have no doubt as to the diamond's legitimacy
  • You can bring it in for resetting, cleaning, maintenance with absolutely zero chance of getting flim-flammed or having the rock changed out without you knowing.
  • The styling and fashion, if that's important to her, is beyond reproach. Women with larger rocks will be envious of a smaller rock from Tiffany.
  • Insurance and pricing for insurance is easy to deal with and beyond doubt.
Is she the kind of girl who likes a loaded Honda Accord or a stripped Mercedes C230 coupe?

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Check out costco. I wonder if their return policy is the same as on other items. If something comes up you may be able to get a full refund?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No Tiffany's out here. Probably too rich for my blood :D

I'm working with a great jeweler, and I've pressed him to understand and explain Princess cut to me. He's responded with new and interesting info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks