1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Connoisseur C-9 Speakers. Any good?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohMabe, Nov 24, 2003.

1. JohMabe

JohMabe Well-Known Member

People in Brazil are talking so much about this pair of speakers. It's relatively cheap here ($700) and it's a full range pair with lots of bass and arguably good midrange. The Soundstage review is raving, it even compares this speaker to the marvelous B&W Nautilus 804, giving the edge to these overachievers in some aspects. Has anyone ever listened to these beauties? What's it comparable to? Will it give me tight, low bass?

2. Joe DC

Joe DC Active Member

Just purchased a pair of C9's for my HT. I'm currently using the CC1 center and CR3 dipole surrounds. The C9s will give you a very warm soundstage without being overly bright as compared to the 3-way C7s. They will also provide you with ample midbass than the C7s, however the C9s are set to small on my receiver, with most of the LFEs going to the subs. Hope this helps.

3. WayneO

WayneO Well-Known Member

4. JohMabe

JohMabe Well-Known Member

Tight low bass is what the manufacturer and the reviewer claims. And one of my main doubts on the speaker.

5. zangler

zangler Member

i too auditioned them...the bass was average...but the main thing i did not like was that it seemed a bit muddier in the mids.

6. Jose T

Jose T Well-Known Member

I auditioned these a few months back and was leaning more toward the C-7s. Bass was not an isse from what heard. The matching surrounds is what runed me off as to the bulit quality. Despite that I enjoyed the sound !!

7. MikeKeck

MikeKeck Member

Joe DC, I have the SAME setup as you, the C-9's in front with the c-c1 center, and c-r3's in the back, and a Klipsch RSW-15 sub, and I LOVE it. My question to you is how much power are you feeding to your speakers? I would like to get a comparison on how much i should feed them and what A/V receiver you are using. I am using a Harman/Kardon A/V now and no way am I switching brands, i'll only upgrade to a higher wattage model if needed.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Well-Known Member

9. MikeKeck

MikeKeck Member

Thank you for your post. Even having skimmed that review before I purchased the speakers, I never realized the actual info it contained. That was very helpful, "a healthy 100w" is all i need..

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Well-Known Member

Cool. They also have a review of the C-3s there too. I had Energies for a while, and then went to Mirage. In general, I really like API stuff (Energy, Mirage, Athena).

11. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Well-Known Member

I heard them in a home theater set-up including a subwoofer (don't recall if that was an Energy sub or not). As a package it sounded pretty good, but I didn't get to audition it for music.

12. zangler

zangler Member

i too auditioned the c-9's before buying my speakers...i am in no way going for a knock fest here, but i found the mids and lows muddy...i liked the paradigm m11's better...did not buy either brand though.