What's new

Blu-ray Review Enemy Mine Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

A touching story of friendship and love almost gets overwhelmed by an elaborate production and prosaic storytelling in Wolfgang Petersen’s Enemy Mine. Boasting fine performances and intricate and expensive surroundings, Enemy Mine gets its points across rather well before a final third of the film morphs into a predictable and not very suspenseful search and rescue scenario. Before then, though, the film holds some special, treasurable moments.

Enemy Mine (Blu-ray)
Directed by Wolfgang Petersen

Studio: Twilight Time (Fox)
Year: 1985
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 108 minutes
Rating: PG-13
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0, 2.0 stereo English
Subtitles:  SDH

Region: 0
MSRP: $ 29.95

Release Date: October 9, 2012

Review Date: September 29, 2012

The Film

3/5

In the midst of a long-standing war with Dracon, Earth space pilot Willis Davidge (Dennis Quaid) crash lands on distant planet Fyrine IV where he finds that a Drac ship carrying an alien has also crashed. Attempting to get the jump on his enemy, Willis is instead captured. Over the course of days the natural enemies learn they must work together even grudgingly to survive the hostile planet with its fiery meteor showers and sand-dwelling flesh eaters. Willis learns the alien’s name is Jeriba Shigan (Louis Gossett Jr.), and he dubs him “Jerry.” With winter approaching and no signs of rescue imminent, the two first built a hut and then later take to a cave to wait out the winter. While there, Willis learns that the Drac species are a combination of male and female, and Jerry is with child and due very soon.

Edward Khmara’s screenplay sets up all the expected postures: the human’s arrogance and sense of entitlement, his tendency toward aggression and hot-headedness, and then one by one he punctures them as the willful Willis Davidge begins to learn something about humanity from a non-human. The scenes in the film’s middle section where Willis and Jerry bond and learn mutual respect through communication and then later scenes with Jerry’s offspring Zammis (Bumper Robinson) and his guardianship by Willis are by far the film’s strongest and most interesting. Director Petersen maximizes those scenes with generous views of the elaborate planet surface sets and the really impressive cave where a good portion of the film’s middle third occurs. But that need to inject violent action into his sci-fi saga breaks the spell the director has woven with a fairly unsatisfying final third as Zammis is captured by scavengers who enslave Dracs and after being shot, Willis is left for dead. Then, with an unconvincing and too speedy recovery, he’s off to find and save his charge. These final sequences aren’t very well directed; Petersen stages a climactic fight and its aftermath that’s pretty unimpressive and rather sodden, and the climax isn’t milked for its maximum warmth or sentimentality either. The film seems to simply run out of steam in the final quarter hour.

All of the scenes with rambunctious Dennis Quaid and more measured but quietly sardonic Louis Gossett Jr. are special, and their relationship is what gives the movie its flavor and its real reason for existing. Each actor morphs into a different personage by the end of the film, and that’s always impressive to witness. Bumper Robinson does well as Zammis showing his restlessness over his differences with his “uncle” and a desire to see others more like himself. Brion James makes a decidedly one-dimensional villain but is certainly utilitarian for the simplistic needs of the film’s final third.

Video Quality

4.5/5

The film’s original 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio is faithfully rendered in this 1080p transfer using the AVC codec. Sharpness is generally excellent with the film though there are certain shots which seem a bit softer than those surrounding them. Still, you’ll be able to see the incredibly intricate detail on the masterful make-up job on Louis Gossett Jr. with the many close-ups and notice further details in garments and the terrain of the planet. Color is nicely handled and never blooms out of control. Black levels are good and shadow detail is fine if not outstanding. The film has been divided into 12 chapters.

Audio Quality

4/5

The disc offers two English tracks, both in DTS-HD Master Audio. The 2.0 stereo track seems to have a bit more low end than the 4.0 track (which is the default track) which seems a bit thinner. Both offer excellent reproduction of the well recorded dialogue and good clarity in Maurice Jarre’s sometimes sweet, sometimes sweeping score and the sound effects for the opening scenes of warfare, the planet’s many perils, and the later scavenger mining scenes.

Special Features

2.5/5

Maurice Jarre’s score for the film is offered in an isolated music track which is presented in DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 stereo.

The film’s theatrical trailer runs 2 minutes and is in 480i.

The enclosed six-page booklet contains some excellent color stills from the movie, the film’s poster art on the back cover, and film historian Julie Kirgo’s generous appreciation of the film’s strong points.

In Conclusion

3/5 (not an average)

Enemy Mine might not rank high in the annals of sci-fi, but it does have its merits, chief among them its outstanding performances, incredible make-up design (unbelievable that this didn’t score an Oscar nomination), and a sweet story at its core making it a film that’s often more soulful than it is stirring. There are only 3,000 copies of this Blu-ray available. Those interested in it should go to www.screenarchives.com to see if copies are still available. They're also available via Facebook at www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies.

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
My copy arrived today (a little early) so I am glad the audio and video got a thumbs up. Thanks for the review, Matt.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I haven't seen this in years and am really looking forward to this release. Glad it passes the test! Thanks Matt.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I wonder if any footage from the scrapped first shoot of the film under a different director will ever see the light of day? Louis Gossett Jr. described the original Drac makeup in Starlog magazine, but I've never seen a photo of it anywhere to this day.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
SilverWook said:
I wonder if any footage from the scrapped first shoot of the film under a different director will ever see the light of day? Louis Gossett Jr. described the original Drac makeup in Starlog magazine, but I've never seen a photo of it anywhere to this day.
Kinda wished you hadn't mentioned the existence of an alternate version, which we'll probably never see. This is one of my favorite films and am excited to have it on blu finally. But if there's another version I want to see it!

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Sorry about that. I was hoping somebody might know more than I did. Stuff would have probably leaked all over the net had it been made today.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Stunning!
Absolutely beautiful transfer of a great sci-fi film.
Thank you Twilight Time.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
In honor of the passing of Director Wolfgang Petersen I revisited ENEMY MINE (1985). This tale of two enemy soldiers thrown together for a battle of survival on a hostile planet was a troubled production that Director Wolfgang Petersen took over from a fired Director after having made his mark with DAS BOOT and THE NEVERENDING STORY. It's a solid, very well made film with Peteresen's trademark attention to craftsmanship while never forgetting the human element.

Dennis Quaid plays Davidge who encounters a Drac (Louis Gossett, Jr.) after a space battle. Sworn enemies at first, they forge a bond beneficial to them both. In some ways, this is a classic Star Trek set-up with two species overcoming bias to become friends rather than rivals. It's all handled quite well in Edward Khmara's screenplay based on Barry Longyear's Hugo and Nebula winning novella of the same name.

Quaid is good here, and Gossett is simply excellent with his “Drac” voice remaining memorable. The movie famously didn't do well in theaters, but has grown into a genuine cult favorite. The “gimmick” in the film didn't help as too many dismissed it as such - but, it's quite effective, and, yes, even touching.

It's currently also streaming on Starz and you can rent it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks