What's new

Endless Computer Boot Loop (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
My brother is having trouble with his PC. It's been randomly shutting off and that itself I am pretty darn sure is the PSU. Money is tight so he is not getting a new one till it goes out. But the problem I am writing about is something new. The powering off problem is getting worse, so i am sure it's a factor. But now the computer gets to windows xp loading screen, and then freezes and the PC resets. it happens every time at the exact same moment. A BSOD appears so fast i had to record it on my phone and pause the video to see what it says. All the message says is "Windows encounter a problem when loading and shut down to prevent damage blah blah blah." i swapped out a PSU I had just for fun, just to test it. Tried another video card. Changed the ram. Same issue every time. About the only thing left to check is the motherboard or maybe the hard drive. Or maybe this is just a windows install problem due to the computer shutting down improperly too many times?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Try booting into safe mode and running a system restore.

If not, find someone who has an UBCD (or google for ubcd4win) and boot to it. If it boots and runs, run a system restore from there.

Good luck!!

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Oh i tried safe mode, forgot to mention that. It starts loading the list of drivers and stops on the same one every time and resets. I will try that ubcd4win tonight when I get home. I didn't know about that. Thanks! Not sure his PC has recovery turned on. He games too much. WAY too much. Dude knows how to go through PCs....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, UBCD4Win is your best option then.

Boot it up, run basic tools, and definitely run a full chkdsk c: /r /x on the drive

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Just for fun I took my brother's hard drive, put it into an external enclosure I have and plugged in into my computer. Immediately my computer (windows 7) saw a problem on the drive and asked to fix it. I let it and then put the drive back in his computer and it booted up just fine. Hours of time...saved. =)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Adam,

Perhaps it's also wise to tell your brother that a next time his PC suddenly shuts off, the drive may get in a worse state. It's an inconsistency that may happen while it was either writing, or cached content has not been written to the disk in full - and then the computer stops. Sudden deaths that frequently are almost identical to a machine gone fully broke. It either has to be repaired or the machine retired.

Cees

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Not that it matters now, but I believe when safe mode "stops on the same" driver, that driver is not the one causing the problem but is actually the last one that loaded correctly. If that's indeed the case, it is a little unhelpful that Windows doesn't tell you which is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks