What's new

Encroaching Neighbor (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
It sounds like she was clearing brush. Everyone keeps focusing on these trees she cut down. Come on, its a single lady out there alone. I doubt she cut down 40 foot tall trees. I'm not saying she wasn't wrong, but making her replace the trees seems extreme. I grew up on a farm with a woodsy area and there were hundreds of little sapplings on the boarders of our property etc. I'm not sure whether we're not getting the whole story hear or what. Are you telling us that when she said she knew it was off her property it didnt occur to ask you WHY she was doing it then? Because it doesnt look like you posted her response. Just because you and your neighbors think she's nutty doesnt mean she has no sense of logic at all. SHE must have had a reason why she was cutting the trees down. What was it?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Just saw your post. How big/old/mature where the fir trees. If she damaged your designed landscaping etc. that is different. I thought this sounded like a wooded area on large adjoining acreages like the farm I grew up on. Are these trees that someone planted or wild specimins, how large, etc.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
She's not a single lady. She has a husband who was wielding the chainsaw. Although from the sounds of the chainsaw when he's using it he's an accident waiting to happen. They shouldn't sell those to just anyone. He bogs the thing down like crazy. Kickback waiting to happen. She was just the one that was home when I went over. The trees she cut down were actual trees, not brush. 4" - 7" in diameter, 20' to 30' high. Even if she was cutting just "brush", she was cutting my brush. The brush that I paid for and pay taxes on. And she knew it was mine. If she wanted it cut she should've asked, no? And there are other pieces of information supporting the fact that she is "off" that shouldn't be discussed here.

So, she isn't a poor single lady. And no, I won't make her replace them, as long as she stops like she said she would. And the reason she's doing it is she doesn't like the fact that she only has 130' of frontage onto the driveway and she wanted more. And she is planning on taking out every tree on her property for her horse she plans to bring there.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Holy crap, forget what I said then. That is nuts! How MANY did they cut down. Because I'm in a development and we have suburban sized lots that are bare when you move in its an issue of spend several hundred dollars a tree or wait YEARS for them to mature, so I would definately flip out as well. It sounds like you live on a wooded lot in a more rural area (like my parents). If that was the case I would be a little more understanding about it but I would still make it known that if it happens again I would take legal action. The size and number of trees would have been the first thing I posted as it makes a big difference.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Cool. A horse! Maybe it'll stray onto your property looking for carrots. You sitting at home and a horse strolls by your window ... Wouldn't that be cute?

- Colton

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Your post gave the impression that she may do it again. Wanting to avoid confontation is understandable, but it must be made crystal clear that you will not tolerate this kind of trespass.

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
Mark - you wanted privacy, and you only went with 6 acres?! :D Don't you know you need at least 20 for any privacy? I don't know what I'm ever going to do...I grew up on a farm, and have just lived in apartments at school. I can't see how I could ever put up with neighbors even half as annoying as this one sounds. Good luck.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm sorry but for those of us that don't own that kind of land, it's just hilarious.

I think you're done enough for now. Just wait and see if it happens again. If it does, then you can unleash your introvert madness on them :D. Sound to me you handled it well and now she's aware you're pissed ( you said you were steaming the whole time so I think she sense the change in humidity ;)).

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd talk to the "other" neighbour, and get a property line made(new survey) on bothe sides. Get the trees replaced, and get the other neighbour to put a fence up with the NEW trees within that boundry.

The new survey cost, if any, should be paid by the physco.

She "knew" what she was doing? and she was upset about the size of her frontage?? Does that mean she never saw the property before she bought the place?

Brent

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Have you priced fir trees recently, especially mature ones? Have you priced removing the stumps? You could easily be looking at a couple of thousand dollars to restore that area. She needs to get the message loud and clear that she has no business on your property. You have every right to contact the police and file a report, since what she has done is vandelism to your property.

Break out the unwelcome wagon!

Tim L

Second Unit
man oh man- I am biting my tongue just reading this thread- I'm all for giving someone the benefit of the doubt- but this has gone too far-infact as I am typing this my neighbor is walking the property line again! (he does it every night-hes another nut job-I) my point is you can't let someone do this to your property and get away with it, they will continue to think they can get away with anything Trees are very expensive ( I am pricing them out now)-if you don't charge them for trees or stump removal or surveying your nuts- or your a candidate for sainthood.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Yes.
Earlier someone recommended against this and I disagree. Police, sheriff, constable...whatever you've got, you NEED to call them because otherwise this incident NEVER HAPPENED!
You need to establish a paper trail on this. How about getting the neighbor's insurance company involved?
All the good times conciliatory talk is wonderful, but you have a neighbor who is seriously out of touch with the norms of societal interaction and needs a symbolic 2x4 across the the side of the head.
Of course, I'm a sociopath so I may be on the wrong track here. ;)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
This is so immature of me but LOL LOL LOL. I hope you meant if you dont charge them, [comma] you're nuts. If you can get someone to pay to survey YOUR nuts, send them my way!

Dave Farley

Second Unit
The fact that she knowingly did it and mentioned that she wanted more frontage shows me that she's inconsiderate, a fool, and a thief with no respect for private property rights.

I live in a house that has older, established landscaping. A friend of mine had a new house built five years ago but didn't get the landscaping done until almost eighteen months later. I always thought that was strange until he showed me the bill. Having no experience in that area, I was truly shocked at the total expense involved.

Considering the replacement cost of those trees and the fact that she knowingly did it, I would call the police immediately and go after her for the cost of replacing them. Get a survey done and put up a fence or stone wall as already suggested.

Tell her that further encroachments will prompt a call to the police for trespassing and vandalism. I can't believe that she knowingly did it and had the nerve to say she wanted more frontage. You need to nip this in the bud now. Get the police and the town authorities involved. Get the money that is owed to you. No offense, but what you said to her is not enough. Her reasoning, previous knowledge of the line, and removal of the pin constitutes theft in my opinion. Any person who knowingly steals from or damages your property is not the kind of neighbor that you want to waste time mending fences with, no pun intended.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

This is a good idea. Her homeowners would pay for full replacement of the cut down trees. You will be very surprised at what you will get in insurance money for full grown trees.

Years ago, my parents old neighbor started a brush fire (he was burning leaves) which spread out of control and wiped out a mature hedge row, a couple holly trees, a couple other largish trees and the grass on their property. My parents were shocked with the money insurance provided for the trees as they expected to only to get enough to re-plant with smaller replacement trees.

J

Tim L

Second Unit
Surveying your nuts! Good one Charles J P- I laughed my ass off after I went back to read what I had typed- I guess I was distracted by watching my own goofy neighbor while I was typing-but lets get it straight now- I don't think anyone should have their nuts surveyed-but on a serious note- alot of good advice here and contacting the right authorities and Insurance company etc. will only help you in the long run-I had to jump through a few hoops (lawyers etc) but it turned out in my favor in the end because I did my homework on the issues- good luck.
Tim

Tim L

Second Unit
Surveying your nuts! Good one Charles J P- I laughed my ass off after I went back to read what I had typed- I guess I was distracted by watching my own goofy neighbor while I was typing-but lets get it straight now- I don't think anyone should have their nuts survyed-but on a serious note- alot of good advice here and contacting the right authorities and Insurance company etc. will only help you in the long run-I had to jump through a few hoops (lawyers etc) but it turned out in my favor in the end because I did my homework on the issues- good luck.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks