What's new

Empty Nest (1 Viewer)

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
Now that The Golden Girls are being released on DVD, I sure hope Empty Nest will start to be released. It was equally hilarious as Golden Girls!!

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I hope Empty Nest is coming on tv box set very soon because that's like my favorite show back in the day to watch.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I'm surprised this hasn't already been released. It ran for seven seasons,so it's not like it did poorly (like many other spin-offs of hit tv shows have). Does Buena Vista,or whoever holds the rights, think the people who made The Golden Girls a big seller don't want to see the adventures of Dr. Harry Weston on DVD?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Intelligent, adult sitcoms often don't seem to sell very well on DVD. Just ask the poor folks still waiting for Mary Tyler Moore to finish it's run on DVD. Or all the fans waiting for more Murphy Brown.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I hate saying it, as I am a tremendous Empty Nest fan, but the prospects have always seemed unlikely to me because the show was such a monumental failure in syndication. Generally, an older show's network success is irrelevant to its DVD chances, but its syndication and cable rerun success between, say 1980 and 2000, is a very good indicator. There are exceptions, but usually that calculation works pretty well. (Your Mary Tyler Moore and Murphy Brown examples illustrate the rule...fairly successful network runs and poor syndication results.) Alas, that leaves Empty Nest in a bad spot. Worse, it is a Buena Vista show, and they are notoriously bad about older show releases.

But I hope I am wrong!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Rain

Intelligent, adult sitcoms often don't seem to sell very well on DVD. Just ask the poor folks still waiting for Mary Tyler Moore to finish it's run on DVD. Or all the fans waiting for more Murphy Brown.

It's not just sitcoms. Serious, intelligent dramas, such as Family don't do as well as things like The Dukes of Hazzard (insert perjorative adjective here). I'm amazed that we are actually getting shows like Room 222 and Paper Chase released but I'm not holding my breath (or dumping my TNT records) for Mr. Novak any time soon. It's an unfortunate reality that great lawyer shows like The Defenders won't appeal to the majority of the DVD buying public while hokey, formulaic lawyer shows like Perry Mason and Matlock do.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by FanCollector

I hate saying it, as I am a tremendous Empty Nest fan, but the prospects have always seemed unlikely to me because the show was such a monumental failure in syndication. Generally, an older show's network success is irrelevant to its DVD chances, but its syndication and cable rerun success between, say 1980 and 2000, is a very good indicator. There are exceptions, but usually that calculation works pretty well. (Your Mary Tyler Moore and Murphy Brown examples illustrate the rule...fairly successful network runs and poor syndication results.) Alas, that leaves Empty Nest in a bad spot. Worse, it is a Buena Vista show, and they are notoriously bad about older show releases.

But I hope I am wrong!!
When was Empty Nest in syndication? It never played here after its network run.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I remember Empty Nest playing briefly in syndi (on Lifetime, I think) then being pulled and basically not being seen again. That's a very bad sign.

Murphy Brown has always had a hard time getting viewers in syndication. Nick@Nite & TV Land have scheduled and pulled the series more times than I can count. It's a shame because the first half of this series run is more than worth owning on DVD.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by Elena S

When was Empty Nest in syndication? It never played here after its network run.
It appeared in some local markets briefly in the 1990s. It was not successful, generally showing in very weak timeslots. Subsequently, it was aired on TBS, again briefly. Some shows get another chance, as The Golden Girls did, for instance. Not a big syndication hit (though bigger than Empty Nest), it really skyrocketed on cable showings. Empty Nest never seemed to catch on. My private theory is that the show damaged its own syndication potential by running too long. The first season of Empty Nest is as good as any show there was. The next couple of seasons were also good, though not as consistently so. The precipitous decline in the show's quality after that, however, created some bad associations in people's memories. By the last couple of years of the series, the ratings had plummeted and the once-prestigious show was critically reviled. That was the atmosphere into which the show was released in syndication, and I suspect that people who had caught some episodes from the last few seasons of the series were in no hurry to revisit it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I like to see this show released as well. I liked Park Overall in this show along with David Leisure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks