What's new

Empire, Long Hot Summer (1 Viewer)

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
For years I've watched a few of the surviving episodes of these two dramas from the sixties, and hace wondered why they've never been released officially.
Empire is a 'modern western', with Richard Egan as the administrator of a big ranch owned by the rich Garrett family, and among the regulars in this 32 episode one hour drama from 1963 are future superstars Ryan O'Neal and Charles Bronson.
If The Wide Country and Stoney Burke have been released, there's no logical reason for Empire's non appearance, specially since it was filmed in color.
Long Hot Summer, based on the fifties Paul Newman movie (but also inspired by current hit Peyton Place), is a one season serial (30 one hour episodes) from 1965 also filmed in color, starring future The Invaders star, Roy Thinnes.
There's 13 episodes available in the collector's market (and in YouTube),
I would say there should be a lot of interest, specially due to Thinnes status as a cult star.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
There's a very good reason they haven't been released. Firstly, LHS is owned by Fox so you can forget about ever seeing it. By the way, I have all 26 episodes and its in black and white. As for Empire, that's owned by Sony and its never been transfered to tape so you won't be seeing that either. Unfortunately, the only place we have them from is from the CBN run and they were cut to 44 minutes. Still, better than nothing.

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Any idea of where I can watch the Empire or the full Long Hot Summer set?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
jperez said:
Any idea of where I can watch the Empire or the full Long Hot Summer set?
UCLA has the full run of Long Hot Summer. Empire, best bet would be find someone who recorded them off of CBN and trade with them.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
There's a very good reason they haven't been released. Firstly, LHS is owned by Fox so you can forget about ever seeing it. By the way, I have all 26 episodes and its in black and white. As for Empire, that's owned by Sony and its never been transfered to tape so you won't be seeing that either. Unfortunately, the only place we have them from is from the CBN run and they were cut to 44 minutes. Still, better than nothing.
When did CBN run EMPIRE?

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Yes, I've seen them in YouTube. Of course they are in black and white: maybe I was somewhat confusing them with the Empire episodes I've seen, which are mainly in black and white although the series was filmed in color.
It's strange, anyway, that Long Hot Summer was shot in black and white at such a late date (1965).
Anyway, where are the other 13 episodes?

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
You should'nt be so sensitive... I've been asking that question during this whole thread. Anyway, I traded for the available 13 copies a few years ago, before seeing them on YouTube.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
LHS in black & white isn't so strange when you think of the times. First, it was on ABC, a network ambivalent about color due to cost. The network wouldn't kick in any extra money to a production company for color. Second, Fox produced "Peyton Place", "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and "12 O'Clock High" in b&w that season for ABC. (All 3 went to color in the fall of 1966.) Third, color wasn't an issue at the time for international sales - most European countries would not go to color until almost the end of the decade.

I've liked what I've seen of the show on YouTube, but wish it had been more of a serial like "Peyton Place".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks