What's new

emotion... (1 Viewer)

* Amanda

Auditioning
I just wanna express what in feel... I hope it's not forbidden... My brother and I recently bought a new car audio but a week ago we were stolen it... I feel terrible... we enjoyed it so much... Does anybody know the way to protect oneself from being robbed?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sorry your stuff was stolen, if I'm in a questionable place I take off my HU face and lock it in the glove compartment. Still no substitute for a decent alarm system. I don't know much about them but Viper is a popular brand.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
-Don't advertise ....... loud booming stereos are a give away.

-LOTS of stickers, or ANY for that matter, tell people what you have.

-Make the install very stealth, as in hidden from view.

Sure feels like crap, but most of us have had that feeling at least once.

Brent

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Also be well insured. I have coverage on my car that anything permanently attached to the car (speakers, sub, headunit, etc) is covered by my $50 comp deductible. It's well worth the piece of mind. However, I agree, don't blast your system near where you live or park for work, take the faceplate WITH you, and try to hide any amp/sub setup if possible.

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
There's no sure fire way to guarantee that your car will never be broken into but you can atleast cut down by doing a couple of things:

1. Turn down your stereo in residential areas.
2. No "Steal Me" stickers. Meaning no vendor stickers all over your car with the exception of an alarm sticker maybe.
3. Pull off the faceplate all the time.
4. Get a good alarm system with a 2 stage external shock sensor and possibly a proximity sensor.
5. If an alarm is not in the budget, get an l.e.d. that ingages when you turn off the ignition.
6. Make sure you always lock your doors even if the car is in your own driveway and you will only be away for a short period.
7. Check with your insurance co. to see if your policy covers such things or if you need to a seperate policy for the stereo esp. if more than a HU is involved.
8. Most importantly, get a Louisville Slugger and a mean dog!!

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Actually, I'd reccomend not even putting Alarm System stickers on there.
I learned in my Soc class (Deviant Behavior) that most of the time, putting those stickers on there just alerts a thief which system you have so they can be better prepared as to how to disable it. I agree though, don't put vendor stickers on your car. My big worry is that someone might see the XM antenna on my car from a distance and single me out just because of that. I'm still not sure if I can find a better stealthier way to install it but worse comes to worse, atleast I'm well insured.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I just had my stereo stolen as well. it was one of the kenwoods with the hiding face, but if you know to look for it you know what it is. It was ripped out of my car in broad daylight in my own Apt Complex. Pissed me off. But my insurance is covering everything, but still.

I thought about an alarm system as well, but thinking that it really wont do much unless someone is trying to steal the car. I mean, you can rip a stereo out of a car in less than a minute if you want to, so what good is the alarm then? The illusion of safety?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Dang that sucks dood. If my stuff got stolen I'd have to get an alarm. Either that or create some custom contraption that will keep the HU bolted to the car even through a nuclear attack.

Look at getting a detachable face, you think that would have deterred the thief if it was totally off?

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
in the past we have had customers come in to replace a radio and sometimes the thief couldn't get the radio out so they destroyed it by ramming a screwdriver into it. Bolting it in somehow may keep it from getting stolen but not from getting vandalized unfortunately. I've seen people bust every panel in the car with a hammer because they were pissed. I've actually seen one vehicle get urinated in all over the interior. NASTY!! Some people have no common sense or morals these days.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I play my stereo loud occasionally, even keep my windows rolled down sometimes when I park it in public areas so my cue stick doesn't warp if I leave it in my car.

Why am I not as worried about my sub being stolen?

Maybe because I painted it Bright Glowing Orange and it weighs over 100 lbs.

My Sub

One solution is to hide or camoflauge things so people won't want to steal them.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Actually its 350 watts rms bridged with the PPI amp according to the manual, the description I wrote is wrong. It pounds plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks