What's new

Emmy Nominations 2006 (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
No one was working on Sunday, everything had probably been rehearsed saturday and left lined up for Sunday. Let's presume it would be the production staff of the emmy's responsible for editing it. yeah it's a matter of 'one little cut' but if you put it in a dubbing bay you're going to get a harsh transition that will probably not be very good, plus a chance you're downgrading your quality from either DVD, DVCam or DigiBeta to BetaSP, though you'd probably just go from DVCam to DVcam if you had that option. but you can't put in a cut like that on DVD to DVD. And again, it would look bad and the sound would be a problem.

So why not just set up an avid? That's presuming they have an avid; unlikely. First they have to capture to the computer, then they have to make the cut in Avid, then they have to reexport it. If they're going to DVD first they have to recompress the video and audio and then burn it. Then you spot check for problems, get at leasts five VIPs to also sign off on it as an okay, call the editor of the Lost sequence (I only saw the 24 bit) make sure he's okay with you cutting his work so that he doesn't raise a stink and then you make the changes those six people suggested and repeat the process.

You're right, it's incredibly easy, I dunno why someone just didn't pop it onto their macbook pro and whip out a new version in ten minutes. Ridiculous.

almost as ridiculous as people whining that we need more PC censorship to preserve the delicate feelings of the humorless and easily offended.

Adam

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

You're right. I mean, the Emmys are SOOOOOO much more important than 49 people dying in a fiery plane crash. Hell, if something doesn't happen in Hollywood it doesn't really matter anyway, right? :rolleyes

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
More like the rest of the world shouldn't have to dance around whatever tragic headline the media has grabbed onto at the moment.
A plane in Kentucky launched off the runway. The results are tragic for the families and friends of the 49 casualties. But just as with the average 19 motor vehicle fatalities in Kentucky during the last week [Source and the average 119 vehicle fatalities that happened nationwide on the day of the plane crash itself, life goes on. If I was on that plane, I wouldn't have cared what NBC did on the Emmys - I'd be dead. Horrible things happen around the world every single day. If everything which touched upon any of those horrible things was off-limits, comedy would cease to exist.

For what it's worth, NBC apologized. Had the crash happened in southern California or New York City, their spines might have melted quicker. But Conan's intro was filmed before the crash. It was parodying a well-known event from a popular TV series. It was not graphic; it was not particularly intense. I'd watched the news about the plane crash earlier that day. Frankly, I didn't even make a connection. But then, I'm not particularly inclined to look for things to be offended from.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The other thing that occurs to me is, I can easily imagine the people involved might not even be aware of the crash. I can imagine that they would be entirely focused on the logistical preparations for a rather large live show, and maybe never checked out the news just in case something like this happened. And if they did know that it happened, they may not have actually made the connection with the opening sketch.

Despite watching the Oscars every year, this was the first time I watched the Emmys. And I quite liked the show. Didn't like Conan's opening monologue, but otherwise thought he did really well. In particular, I thought the whole Bob-Newhart-in-a-container thing was brilliant. Loved Colbert and Stewart's presenting, thought Greg Garcia's speech was wonderful, thought most of the lead-in routines were painful (but that's just a standard for all award shows). The big problem with the Emmys is just the fact that for one category (say, Best Actor), you've got awards for Comedy Series, Drama Series, Mini Series or Movie, Comedy or Musical, etc, which just leads to general confusion (at one point, my flatmate asked me "Didn't they already give this award"). On the whole, it was a good night.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They should pull "snakes on a plane" from theaters because the image of an airplane might bring back memories of the Kentucky crash.

They should also digitally remove all images of airplanes from all movies. That way people wont be offended.

Sigh.

I am so tired of the "Politically Correct" police state we live in now.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Best Presentation: Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert (as funny as their funniest moments)

Best Acceptance Speech: Helen Mirren (especially her nod to the writers)

Best Low-Key Acceptance Speech: Andre Braugher (got in everyone quickly and quietly)

Worst Acceptance Speech: Julia Louis-Dreyfus (who could not remember to thank her husband—or even manage a coherent sentence)

Way Too Long Segment: Remembering Aaron Spelling

Way Too Long Speech in a Way Too Long Segment: Kate Jackson

Issue Blown Way Out of Proportion: Opening Airline Crash Bit (bad things happen every day and life goes on—why would anyone think that this shows disrespect?)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
There's a difference between censorship and being "politically correct" than showing a little tact for a tragic situation. I guess because the crash occurred in Kentucky it doesn't really matter, but you can damn sure bet something would've changed had it happened in NY or LA. Oh well, I'm done arguing about this as it obviously affects everyone differently.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Thinking that the Lost parody should have been cut from a montage that was most likely filmed weeks before the airing, on account of plane crash on the day of the airing, is about the most absurd thing I've read in a long while.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It seems as though you are more concerned that Kentucky is being disrespected than the airline incident (and BTW, I graduated from HS in Owensboro). Both of your assumptions (that Kentucky is being looked down upon and that if this happened in NY or LA, things would have been different) tell me that you have more preconceptions and contempt for those making Emmy decisions than they did for those who died in the accident.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I am so tired of the "Politically Correct" police state we live in now.

I don't think you know what the term means- we aren't talking about ethnic jokes here. And nobody is saying NBC should be fined, just that it was bad taste to air the skit the way they did.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Really. Because for a second there, I thought we were on the hometheaterforum, where no day goes by without some sort of complaint about self-censorship from the land of self-involvement.

--
H

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

What I meant is the current mentality that led to the outcry by the PC Police that all images of the World Trade Center be removed from movies, ads, promos, etc. Or the mentality that censors cartoons because it shows an animated cat smoking, or a coyote falling from a cliff.

Even cartoons that were ok in the 40's are now banned because times have changed. Attempting to erase history by hiding it from us is not a good idea.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, but like I said before I'm done arguing about this.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the opening skit - I don't think the Emmys team even thought at all about the Kentucky accident. I think a bigger problem was with the NBC affiliate in Kentucky. They should have been paying attention. From what I understand they were doing wall to wall news coverage of the accident and the Emmys broadcast was the first thing they showed after the news coverage. Going right into that skit without some kind of notice was a mistake. Was someone at the station aware of the contents of the skit? If so, they made a big error in judgement. If not, then perhaps they should have been or at least have removed one local advertisement and apologized during the broadcast.

Neil

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Going right into that skit without some kind of notice was a mistake. Was someone at the station aware of the contents of the skit?

No, the local affiliate didn't know the broadcast was going to have a tasteless skit that mocked the news of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks