What's new

Emergency! TV Series (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ron1973 said:
Many thanks! I wasn't aware of that one and just did a join request. I bet my kids would like it, too. My oldest (17) loves Adam-12 and Emergency! both. I don't want to trash modern TV for those who like it but I'm certainly proud that all three of my teenagers gravitate toward the classic stuff.

Ron, No problem! I will not trash all new shows as their are some decent ones. I think TV is different today as there are more options for people to watch shows, i.e. on demand, mobile devices, etc.

Spacecast in Canada is also re-inventing itself along with HBO by linking up with shows that put different spins on History, i.e. Boardwalk, Atlantis, ROME, etc. I would love to see TV series on Napoleon or the crusades or Moors or Sir Francis Drake or other historical figures.

Emergency! has staying power even after 40 years. The rescues along with paramedic responses are so surreal.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I completed watching S5 last week as I like to watch Emergency! from time to time. I break up my viewing to specific shows over a 2 week period. S5 of Emergency! was very good and had some great episodes!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Radioman970 said:
Season 5 has that awesome tin can pull tag story. I can't wait to watch that one. I'm on Season 4 now
It is also very neat to see the platform and foam trucks from that era as well. My dad was a fireman and I remember the snorkels, pumpers and ladder trucks.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Much respect to your dad. I'm sure so many were glad to see him in times of trouble. A lady I used to work with (up until recently) her husband worked with EMS. And she talked about how he had to "turn the job off" when he got home. I rode passed a one car accident and saw the EMS worker comforting the driver. Shows there is so much more to the job.

Oh! I know I prob already said this (but not this page, haha!) on the pilot episode they show exactly what the firehose looks like, the front of it mainly. I remember being amazed at that when I saw the pilot for the first time in a long time. I'm sure I saw that originally when it aired and fire hand when the fire guy did a demo for my school class in the 70s.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
I remember watching this show with my Dad growing up. Dad was a medic at our local fire department, later an arson investigator.

Dad was constantly pointing out the unrealities of how they handled situations and what should really be happening. Sorta put a damper on the show for me. :)

I have tried to watch it on one of the channels showing classic tv in our area and can't watch it without hearing my Dad over and over in my head pointing out this and that....

As a nurse, I think I ruined Grey's Anatomy for my family in the same way. :D

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
bretmaverick2 said:
I remember watching this show with my Dad growing up. Dad was a medic at our local fire department, later an arson investigator.

Dad was constantly pointing out the unrealities of how they handled situations and what should really be happening. Sorta put a damper on the show for me.

I have tried to watch it on one of the channels showing classic tv in our area and can't watch it without hearing my Dad over and over in my head pointing out this and that....

As a nurse, I think I ruined Grey's Anatomy for my family in the same way.
Brett,

My dad was FF for 30 years and has the same take. I think it is hard to duplicate exactly what the FF/Medics faced on the job. Hollywood has to do their own spin for ratings/plot developments/sensationalism/etc. My dad did say it was the only show that was close to what FF/Medics did face on a call.

There are many examples that you dad was probably referring too as well

1. Going into a burning building - Many scenes showed the FF going into a building in reality that would not happen

2. Entry to a building would not be direct without venting the building first. FF would also be on the lookout for flashback. Some scenes seen the FF going into a building without venting it

3. Chemical accidents were also not handled properly as FF would need to understand the contents of the truck/plant before attacking the fire.

I am sure there are other examples as well, but those are few my dad discussed with me over the years!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My dad doesn't watch much TV and not many movies. He just not a fan of make believe nonsense. I asked my mom if she remembers if our mail man was a mega huge movie/TV show fan. (tee hee)

But if he watching something, realistic stuff like Emergency! he likes okay.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
I was wondering if Season 1 was ever re-released on single sided disc or are the flippers the only thing available? I know the issues that can crop up with Universal flippers, and I think I had issues with e DVD player I had when I first got the set, but it's been a few years. I'm setting down to watch it again with my Oppo 103 and had forgot they were flippers, but I don't remember hearing about a new set, and the Amazon listing doesn't really help, and since it says only 2 discs, I'm guessing nothing has changed.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Radioman970 said:
The whole thing on blu would be nice. Although I'd sure loved them cleaned up, at least alittle. :(
The series is already beautifully restored in HD on Netflix. I marvel at how great they look.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Yeah blu-ray would be nice, who knows maybe in the UK like Battlestar is getting, I mean if one is gonna hope, might as well hope for the whole enchilada!I forgot season 2 was on flippers too. Thankfully I only had one instance of freezing watching season 1 this morning, it froze for a bit on the next to last episode, finally got past it, but lost a couple of minutes. Sucks that they can be so unreliable those damn flipper discs, is it too much to ask for a product that won't self destruct over the years? Was Divx/Circuit City behind flippers since they seem to slowly die ;-)

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I would love for this show to be released in a complete set, with single sided discs. I'd buy it in a second.

I'm unimpressed with the current packaging and flipper discs.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
phenri said:
I would love for this show to be released in a complete set, with single sided discs. I'd buy it in a second. I'm unimpressed with the current packaging and flipper discs.
Thankfully the flippers end with season 2, but yeah I'd like at least those to be reissued on single sided discs.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A complete series set would also be welcome for the fact that Universal post-fire did remaster some of the earlier seasons that in their DVD releases look very ratty. Only Season 6 and the post-series movies were released on DVD in remastered quality.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
rayman1701 said:
Sucks that they can be so unreliable those damn flipper discs, is it too much to ask for a product that won't self destruct over the years? Was Divx/Circuit City behind flippers since they seem to slowly die ;-)
They've been around since the dawn of dvd.

The earliest flippers I can think of offhand, were numerous movies released by MGM, Columbia/Sony, Warner, etc ... back in the late-1990's, which had the 16x9 widescreen version on one side and the 4x3 "fullscreen" version on the other side of the disk. Back then, most of them were dvd-10 type of flippers.

The earliest dvd-14 type flipper disc I have, is Terminator 1 released back in 2001. It had the movie on one side and the special features on the other side. (No idea what the first dvd-14 flipper disc title was).

No idea what the first dvd-18 flipper disc title was. But the earliest one I can think of offhand, is the first MGM version of the original Outer Limits released back in 2002. (IIRC, it was a 4 disk set where all four discs were dvd-18 flippers with four episodes per side).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Just noticed out of sync audio during the connecting segment at 1:06:30 in the movie, Greatest Rescues of Emergency.

I wonder if that was always there.
Jack P said:
A complete series set would also be welcome for the fact that Universal post-fire did remaster some of the earlier seasons that in their DVD releases look very ratty. Only Season 6 and the post-series movies were released on DVD in remastered quality.
Was a lot more than just that. All of season 1, for starters.

The DVD releases were ahead of much of the remastering work for whatever bizarre reason. I think some of us thought it was a consequence of the fire so other priorities led to a lot of old transfers being used that were not long afterwards done.

But a good percentage of these episodes on the DVD sets are the remastered versions, with several sets being a mix of the two as I recall.

But at least at its worst, it's always watchable and uncut (Other than the wrong intro from time to time),

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Some episodes of S1-3 looked okay but only those which had been remastered for release on the Columbia House Video Club in the early 90s. The rest were old transfers that went back to the early 80s I think and even seemed to come from 16mm elements at times. The fire took place after 5 seasons had been released on DVD so I guess its possible those old bad transfers went up in in the fire and Universal decided to just go back to the 35mm masters for the last two releases and then go back and remaster earlier seasons for on-line viewing.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
At one point, Netflix was showing the old masters for the earlier seasons. All of a sudden, they stopped and we had fresh, clean transfers that look excellent!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It has been a few years, but I'm almost certain that every season 1 episode looked pristine with the only flaw being the Universal flippers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks