What's new

Emergency! Season #6 and beyond (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not familiar with RTV or their airing of these series, but the Emergency! movies were part of the syndication package of the show 10 years ago and were regularly aired on TVLand. I suspect they probably just finished season 6 and moved on to the movies?

I think we'll get these next year.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i like the greatest rescues and would love that copy, because it closed out the series. The other movies were ok, but, due to fact they show seattle/san franscisco and their paramedic programs.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
RTV is notorious for showing episodes out of order, episodes in order but skipping some, or the same episode 2 days in a row. That's why I was surprised to see one of the movies. Now will they show part 2 on Monday? Who knows. RTV allows affiliates some flexibility - since Emergency! may air over the weekend elsewhere they may show the 2nd part today. Anyway I didn't remember the movies as part of the syndication package.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I enjoyed them all except the airplane crash one. Didn't get much enjoyment out of that and you barely even see Johnny and Roy during it. It was almost like it a test for the pilot of a Emergency! spin off to test the waters for the characters they used.

I liked the ones like when they're up around Puget Sound and help fight the ferry fire and such.

Originally Posted by younger1968

i like the greatest rescues and would love that copy, because it closed out the series. The other movies were ok, but, due to fact they show seattle/san franscisco and their paramedic programs.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Looking at the Emergency! season 4 episodes on Hulu, seven of the episodes are the remastered versions with original opening credits. We did not get these versions on the season 4 DVD. Audio quality is very poor also on a number of episodes on the season 4 DVD. Universal should correct these errors and reissue the season 4 DVD to include these remastered versions, and improve the audio quality too.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Lecagr

Looking at the Emergency! season 4 episodes on Hulu, seven of the episodes are the remastered versions with original opening credits. We did not get these versions on the season 4 DVD. Audio quality is very poor also on a number of episodes on the season 4 DVD. Universal should correct these errors and reissue the season 4 DVD to include these remastered versions, and improve the audio quality too.

Not surprised - the episodes of IT TAKES A THIEF on Hulu were better than the prints RTV is airring. :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have S1-S6 and have notice the quality has been much better as the series was released. I have some particular episodes that i like more than other. However, i still love this show because it is tribute to firefighters/paramedics. My dad was fireman for 30+ years and i watch it as tribute to him.

I am hoping the movies come out in the new year. I really like to see the best rescues of Emergency.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i am hoping that in the next few months we will hear whether or not the movies will be reduce in January 2010.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Keep in mind that Emergency was reslotted to a April release for season 6 and wasn't rumored until December and confirmed until January.

I wouldn't really expect an announcement in October of a late January or early February release like we saw for seasons 2-5. I suspect we'll be hearing about it sometime early in 2011 for a spring release.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Don't know if anyone else has gotten the email, but Season 7 of Emergency! is up for pre-sale at Amazon right now!!

There's not a release date, but they have it priced at $27.99, and they don't usually do that until they have a pretty good idea it's coming. Still might be April, but it does look like they will finish the series out. This made my weekend!!

Edit:

Here's the link for those who are interested: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JAHQ0M/ref=pe_11480_17180950_emwa_email_title_1

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by rayman1701

There's not a release date, but they have it priced at $27.99, and they don't usually do that until they have a pretty good idea it's coming. Still might be April, but it does look like they will finish the series out. This made my weekend!!

Edit:

Here's the link for those who are interested: [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JAHQ0M/ref=pe_11480_17180950_emwa_email_title_1]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JAHQ0M/ref=pe_11480_17180950_emwa_email_title_1

Seems to at the same price as the tv series. There were only a few emergency movies, like 6 movies. I wondering if there will be some extra like a reunion done on Good Morning America. The actors are in their 60s and 70s now and two are deceased (Julie London Bobby Troupe).

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
It would be nice to have a bunch of special goodies to top the set off. Or, since it's so far out with no official release date yet, they simply used the others as a guide and once the actual retail is announced they will adjust down. I have seen them do that with stuff before at Amazon that they put up for pre-sale with the "no release date yet" tag and when the release date is official the price is significantly different. Then there's the cynic in me that whispers "maybe we'll get hosed on the price", but I try not to listen to that voice until I actually know the release date

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They sold season 1 with 13 hours worth of content at a MSRP of $39.98, so under $30 doesn't seem like such a bad deal for 12 hours worth.

Still hoping for some extras though, such as at least the crossover episode of Sierra.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm thrilled that we're getting these movies (I loved most of them except for the jetliner crash movie that barely even has Johnny and Roy in it), but I'm a bit disappointed. There's a nice cartoon and a nice spin off series that even has a crossover episode to draw from for possible bonus material. I hoped for a bit more if they were going to sell this at this MSRP. And the fans clearly let it be known at communities like this one that they wanted to see things like that crossover episode of Sierra included in this set.

It's almost the same amount of content as season 1 had which everyone willingly paid full price for at the time, but I was hoping for a nice discount on the MSRP if it was going to be a barebones package, or some nice extras if it was going to stay at a higher price point.

They better look nice and pristine if we're just getting 6 two hour movies at this price.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'm not sure yet if I'm going to order this or not, I've never really been that fond of the post series films. It would round out the collection, but those movies lack the high quality, chemistry and energy which made the series episodes so great. There is something lacking without the other guys from station 51, Cap, Chet, Marco, etc. "Steel Inferno" is probably the best of the six movies. The two from San Francisco and the one from Seattle contain routine rescues and dull dialog scenes which serve as padding to fill a 2 hour time slot. It would have been better if they had continued the main series for two more seasons instead of making these movies. "Emergency's Final Rescues"- a release of mild interest, I might order it if I find it at a discounted price.

I've mentioned this before, but what Universal really needs to do is remaster and reissue season 4. I can live with the less than stellar video quality, but some episodes of that seasons DVD have terrible audio quality which sorely needs to be corrected.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am looking forward to the movie released, especially the greatest rescues. I like the final scene with the saying their goodbyes and talking about moving on and they will still stay in contact. We all know that statement as part of our development both personally and professional that you tend to changes friends over time.

The convention episodes were ok, but, nothing to write home about. The sub plots with fireman and his GF, who was a paramedic along with the paramedic that had a nice house/pool.

The Steel Inferno had the beautiful young Anne Lockhart. I had a crush on her while watching her as Sheba in the original battlestar gallactica.

I will be purchasing this set to complete my collection. I love Original Emergency! and do have some fav episodes, like the following

1. Snakebite

2. Isolation

3. Computer Error

4. Welcome to Santa Rosa County

5. The promotion

6. Old Engine

7. Frequency

8. Insomnia

9. Brushfire

10. The Boat,

I welcome people thoughts and/or concerns.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I love The Old Engine. It's one of my favorite episodes. None of the other episode names ring any bells, but I'm sure if I saw a episode description for each that several of them would be among my favorites, too.

As for the movies, the two that happen in San Francisco and the Puget Sound one have dull rescues? Much of it were things like that ferry fire in the Puget Sound movie, a person trying to jump off the Space Needle, someone stuck on the top of the Kingdome, a worker injured on top of the Golden Gate, etc.

Not exactly routine and they're more memorable and exciting than most of the rescues in the regular episodes. If anything, they're so unroutine that they're terribly unrealistic compared to the regular episodes. It's almost like they felt they had to have something happening at each notable tourist location in each city.

I love The Steel Inferno (And we get the doctors and Dixie from Rampart in it as well) and I love Most Deadly Passage.

I also enjoy the highlights movie that felt like the finale, even though it actually wasn't the final movie to air. It bugs me everytime though when I watch it when they get their promotion at the end to see the annoying Craig Brice from the show be mentioned by name getting promoted, even though it's a different actor that quite clearly isn't the same person. I don't like discontinuity, especially when they didn't even try. It should've just been a generic name instead of a name belonging to a reoccurring character throughout the series that had featured prominently in several episodes.

I also enjoy What's a Nice Girl Like You Doing... and The Convention (The two San Francisco movies).

The only stinker of the bunch, in my opinion, is Survival on Charter #220. Although some of the Rampart staff are in the movie, there's barely anything featuring Roy and Johnny during the entire movie. It almost felt like a test for a spinoff like the 905-Wild episode during the regular run of the show. It just isn't a very entertaining movie and I really think it was a test to continue making similar movies to these in the future that wouldn't of been Emergency! moies.

I'll never understand why the Engine 51 crew isn't present in the Survival on Charter #220 and The Steel Inferno when both movies take place in LA. I guess they were too cheap or the actors weren't available at the time?

The movies certainly have a different feel, but I think that was necessary for them to succeed. People wouldn't of wanted to watch two hours of the same thing they had just gotten from a cancelled 6 season series. I think they succeeded for the most part in retaining the atmosphere of the show and important elements of it, while also making an interesting tv movie. It succeeds just like the pilot movie for the series did, even though it has a significantly different feel to it then the regular episodes did,

I do agree that the lack of Engine 51 is certainly detrimental to several of the movies, but I think they're entertaining and I imagine most Emergency fans enjoy them even though it feels a bit empty at times without those familiar faces. They're fun episodes just like things like the Adam-12 two parter where they're spending their time in a police helicopter are. I think it's too bad you don't like them much and I sort of hope you end up being surprised and enjoy them if you buy this set and revisit them.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

I love The Old Engine. It's one of my favorite episodes. None of the other episode names ring any bells, but I'm sure if I saw a episode description for each that several of them would be among my favorites, too.

As for the movies, the two that happen in San Francisco and the Puget Sound one have dull rescues? Much of it were things like that ferry fire in the Puget Sound movie, a person trying to jump off the Space Needle, someone stuck on the top of the Kingdome, a worker injured on top of the Golden Gate, etc.

Not exactly routine and they're more memorable and exciting than most of the rescues in the regular episodes. If anything, they're so unroutine that they're terribly unrealistic compared to the regular episodes. It's almost like they felt they had to have something happening at each notable tourist location in each city.

I love The Steel Inferno (And we get the doctors and Dixie from Rampart in it as well) and I love Most Deadly Passage.

I also enjoy the highlights movie that felt like the finale, even though it actually wasn't the final movie to air. It bugs me everytime though when I watch it when they get their promotion at the end to see the annoying Craig Brice from the show be mentioned by name getting promoted, even though it's a different actor that quite clearly isn't the same person. I don't like discontinuity, especially when they didn't even try. It should've just been a generic name instead of a name belonging to a reoccurring character throughout the series that had featured prominently in several episodes.

I also enjoy What's a Nice Girl Like You Doing... and The Convention (The two San Francisco movies).

The only stinker of the bunch, in my opinion, is Survival on Charter #220. Although some of the Rampart staff are in the movie, there's barely anything featuring Roy and Johnny during the entire movie. It almost felt like a test for a spinoff like the 905-Wild episode during the regular run of the show. It just isn't a very entertaining movie and I really think it was a test to continue making similar movies to these in the future that wouldn't of been Emergency! moies.

I'll never understand why the Engine 51 crew isn't present in the Survival on Charter #220 and The Steel Inferno when both movies take place in LA. I guess they were too cheap or the actors weren't available at the time?

The movies certainly have a different feel, but I think that was necessary for them to succeed. People wouldn't of wanted to watch two hours of the same thing they had just gotten from a cancelled 6 season series. I think they succeeded for the most part in retaining the atmosphere of the show and important elements of it, while also making an interesting tv movie. It succeeds just like the pilot movie for the series did, even though it has a significantly different feel to it then the regular episodes did,

I do agree that the lack of Engine 51 is certainly detrimental to several of the movies, but I think they're entertaining and I imagine most Emergency fans enjoy them even though it feels a bit empty at times without those familiar faces. They're fun episodes just like things like the Adam-12 two parter where they're spending their time in a police helicopter are. I think it's too bad you don't like them much and I sort of hope you end up being surprised and enjoy them if you buy this set and revisit them.

Hi Leo,

It has been years since i have seen the movies, so, i am looking forward to re-watching them when the set comes out. You make some excellent points around the movies and premise with each one. I think the network was trying to do something different in 1978/1979 with the movies, especially after emergency just ended after S6. Ideally, the greatest rescues should have been part of S6, so it could have ended the show, but, that was not the case. Plus, the (2) San Fancisco and (1) seattle episode are a disconnect from the rescues, because they still show gage/desoto as paramedics. So, one can only guess that the conventions happen before gage/desoto were promoted to captain.

The promotion to captain is a little contentious with me, because they would have only been in their early 30s and normally captains are usually a few years older, like in their 40s. My dad was a fireman for 30+ years and rarely did i see a captain was in their 30s. They are usually a firefighter that has 20+ years of experience and has taken the courses to become a captain.

I also glad you brought up the old engine episode. There was two good parts with the old engine and that is when they found it and then repair it. The episode where they are on to a fireman's parade and they go to a fire and wall collapsing on the truck is another good episode.

There are other episodes i liked as well, especially around the grass fire when DeSoto and Gage are buried in the ground and Engine 51 rescues them. There are some excellent co-stars in the show. I still have Emergency! as one of my ultime classic shows.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Paul's list of favorite episodes contains some of my favorites also.

Leo- It won't be a high priority for me, but eventually I'll probably get the final rescues DVD to finish off the series. I saw the post series movies on TV Land about 10 years ago, overall I wasn't too impressed. It made me wish they had continued the main series for a 7th and 8th season instead of making the movies. At least in one of the films, Gage and DeSoto get a proper send off when they get promoted.

Why was the main series discontinued after the 6th season? Did those involved think they had gone as far as they could with it? Obviously there still was demand for Johnny and Roy because the series of movies was made. So I don't understand why the main series wasn't continued for another season or two.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not sure, but I assume the ratings declined enough to make a full time production not worthwhile, but still good enough for the occasional movie to garner attention and bring back the fans that might've stopped tuning it every single week during the latter seasons of the show.

A few movies after the regular end of production seemed to be a somewhat popular way to send off shows in the latter 70s and early 80s. Two of my other favorites (Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons) did something similar 5 years later or so, and there are other examples as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks