What's new

Emergency! Season #6 and beyond (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
So yellow it is. Not a bad choice for a color I suppose. I wonder if the discs will be yellow too, like the 5th season discs are green and 4th season discs are purple. The season 3 discs didn't match the color on the box as the box is orange and the discs are white. Really looking forward to this DVD set as it will finish off the main series.

I noticed with the DVD boxes in these Emergency! sets, Universal screwed up with the first two seasons and the slip cases slide out from the left side of the box. Starting with the third season they corrected the error and the slip cases slide out from the right side, which is proper.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
6th season is a good season, because it has episodes like isolation, santa rosa county, etc. I am looking forward to this set.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Lecagr

I noticed with the DVD boxes in these Emergency! sets, Universal screwed up with the first two seasons and the slip cases slide out from the left side of the box. Starting with the third season they corrected the error and the slip cases slide out from the right side, which is proper.
I wouldn't say they screwed up. Adam 12, Simon and Simon, and probably other Universal series had the same set-up, as did Sony's later seasons of All in the Family and WB's Smallville sets.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

I wouldn't say they screwed up.

Yes they screwed up. Otherwise they wouldn't have made the correction starting with the 3rd season to have the slip cases slide out from the right side of the box.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
DVD companies change packaging styles all the time, causing some TV shows to have inconsistent packaging in the seasons. For example, Gomer Pyle seasons 2 thru 5 are packaged different from season 1. Seasons 5 and 6 of The Flintstones are packaged different from seasons 1 thru 4. That isn't a good thing either. But all I'm referring to here is Emergency! and the correct change Universal made starting with the 3rd season box to have the slip cases slide out on the right side. Another good change they made was to go with single sided discs as the first two seasons have dual sided discs.

Interesting thing about the season one box for Emergency!, I have seen photos of it (including the one posted here on HTF) that shows the box as being correct with the flap on the left side. But the actual box is not like this, the flap is on the right side and the slip cases slide out on the left. This is wrong, it is like having a book with the pages upside down.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
At least they didn't invert the artwork on the end of the box on the right hand side to match their odd idea of what the front and back sides of a DVD box are with season 1 and 2.

So it looks just fine on the shelf with later releases, despite the front artwork being where the back normally would be and so on.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Leo, what is your opinion of Emergency! on DVD so far? Overall the discs are adequate, but recent season releases have had their issues. I wasn't pleased to see the syndicated, unrestored versions of episodes starting with a few in the 3rd season set and then exclusively in seasons 4 and 5. If you look at the Emergency! episodes available on hulu, some episodes which are syndicated prints on the DVD are in their original versions on hulu, including the original opening titles. One example of this is the episode Quicker Than The Eye. It's a travesty these original and better quality versions were not used for the DVD's.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I have seen some of the season 6 episodes placed on Netflix and the quality seems similar to what we saw with the past several releases. So sadly, I see no reason to expect that they changed course this time and went back to the original masters for this release and did any restoration work, which isn't much of a shock for anyone I expect.

I've been very disappointed with the transfers of the past several releases after seeing the excellent transfers and restoration we saw with season 1 & 2 that went back to the original masters. But despite the defects such as dust, scratches, and the sometimes incorrect introduction and Mark VII/Universal closings, at least the episodes are complete and the experience is still enjoyable. The colors remain fairly intact and the defects are no where close to the level of something like Room 222 on DVD. Between their uncut nature and the quality of the program, it's been well worth the purchase price for each release despite the releases not looking any better than you'd see on a station like TVLand.

That's odd about the Hulu uploads. I'd love to get an explanation for that. The only thing I can think of is they were careless when selecting the best quality prints they have available for the DVD release. And when they lost one of their archives to fire, perhaps by accident the alternate archive at another location had better quality prints that then ended up on Hulu and were replicated to replace what was lost in the fire.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am looking forward to season #6, especially the episodes: isolation, Santa Rosa County, etc. I also think this season had the episodes where Dr Brackett gets into accident and father is killed.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Great news for Emergency! fans: After suffering through ugly, unrestored prints and muddy audio for the last several seasons of Emergency! on DVD, I was truly surprised to see that with the new Season 6 release, it appears the prints have been remastered and the audio has also been cleaned up, a la the quality seen on other remastered DVD releases such as Hawaii Five-0 and Mission: Impossible. Better late than never, I guess. However, it appears they crammed 24 episodes onto 5 discs instead of 6, but they still look amazing!

Thanks for putting out a quality set for a change, Universal! Now please bring on the TV movies in equally fantastic shape.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Jeff*H /forum/thread/292856/emergency-season-6-and-beyond/60#post_3680627

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Hope we see them do rereleases of season 1 and 2 eventually like we recently saw with season 1 of Dragnet. Would be nice to replace those sets (Especially season 1, season 2's double sided disc seemed to have been better manufactured) with single sided releases.

Originally Posted by Regulus

And Please toss in the Spin-Off Series Sierra while you're at it!

Great news for Emergency! fans: After suffering through ugly, unrestored prints and muddy audio for the last several seasons of Emergency! on DVD, I was truly surprised to see that with the new Season 6 release, it appears the prints have been remastered and the audio has also been cleaned up, a la the quality seen on other remastered DVD releases such as Hawaii Five-0 and Mission: Impossible. Better late than never, I guess. However, it appears they crammed 24 episodes onto 5 discs instead of 6, but they still look amazing!

Thanks for putting out a quality set for a change, Universal! Now please bring on the TV movies in equally fantastic shape.
Haven't gotten this yet so I'm very pleased to see that more effort has been put into the season 6 set then we've seen with the past few seasons.

The number of disc hasn't changed. 5 disc has been the standard for Emergency! releases since they left double sided disc behind after season 2.

I think some of the Emergency! fans here that have pretty much disowned the movies as not being part of the series will be quite pleased and surprised if they purchase the movie set hopefully in a year. It was a fitting way to end the series by showing us the paramedic programs elsewhere on the West Coast, and I thought they were great with spectacular settings like Puget Sound and a interesting cast of characters. They might be surprised revisting the movies after never having seen them or not seeing them in at least a decade when TVLand last aired them.

Of course, I do deduct points for Engine 51 not being present when they're in LA (Like the airliner crash movie). But it hardly ruins them.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Yes, the video/audio quality on season 6 is superb just like it was on the seasons 1 and 2 DVD. Too bad Universal didn't come through like this for seasons 4 and 5. But the season 6 quality is a pleasant surprise. One goof I noticed, the Santa Rosa County episode starts off with the opening credits instead of the beginning teaser scene. But nothing to fear, the episode is complete, nothing is missing. For whatever reason the opening credits got placed in front of the beginning teaser scene. It's great to now have the main series complete on DVD!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
So is the original opening back in place, or are they still using the syndicated opening?

I'm dying to get my hands on this, but I'm in the middle of moving and will have to wait.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The opening credits on the 6th season DVD are correct. A new opening credit was created for season 6 replacing the more familiar one from seasons 1-5. When the episodes went into syndication, the 6th season opening credits were placed on all the episodes.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
What a difference! I have gotten so accustomed to seeing dirty, faded prints of "Emergency!" that to suddenly see it all bright and clear again is like discovering a new series (even the audio is cleaner, enabling me to hear music I hadn't noticed in the S6 opening). It's too bad the earlier seasons can't be fixed but it does look like Universal is finally updating the masters as a result of that fire that took place wiping out earlier tape transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks