What's new

Emergency! Season #6 and beyond (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I see Universal is starting to roll out announcements of early 2010 releases, hope we hear something later today or at least sometime this week about season 6 of Emergency!

Hope they toss in the crossover episode of Sierra in there and test the waters to see what fans think of it in preparation of perhaps including that series with the 6 tv movies to form a 5 DVD set in 2011.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i am also interested in the release of emergency!. I have the 1-5 season and like to have them all to complete my collection.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Considering the shabby episode quality in the seasons 4 and 5 DVD, I'm concerned that the 6th season won't be issued. Emergency! doesn't seem to be a high priority show for Universal. It would be just like them to abandon the series with one season left to go. Hopefully I am wrong and soon there will be an announcement for season 6. But at this point I'm not very optimistic.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The work has already been done for season 6, they just need to buy materials, press the DVD's, print boxes, etc.

So I think even if Universal decides not to do it in-house, it will at least be licensed out elsewhere, such as to Shout!. It's production ready and just needs to be be manufactured.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi Leo,

I hope you are right, because i like the sixth and final season (ex movies). It would be nice if they included the Emergency Best Rescues (when gage/deSoto get promoted to captain).

I like to see them package Sierra as well, but, i am suspecting that one may never be released.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

The work has already been done for season 6, they just need to buy materials, press the DVD's, print boxes, etc.

Well, that sounds to me like there is still a lot of work left to be done! LOL

Hopefully they will issue the 6th season but I'm glad I already have the season 6 episodes recorded from the TV Land airings. At least I can watch those if all else fails.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Originally Posted by Lecagr

Well, that sounds to me like there is still a lot of work left to be done! LOL

Hopefully they will issue the 6th season but I'm glad I already have the season 6 episodes recorded from the TV Land airings. At least I can watch those if all else fails.
What I meant to say if it was unclear is that the masters (Or syndication copies in some cases like we've seen a bit with this series, though always uncut) have already been transferred and the limited restoration undertaken with the past couple season sets has been done to season 6.

In fact, I've been told it's been made available through digital releases (Netflix) and was planned to be made available on Hulu (I suspect that's changed though, season 5 was never uploaded and the entire series is slated for removal now).

My limited understanding of how this stuff works tells me that that is the expensive part of developing a release, not modifying the template they've utilized for menus and artwork for a new season. That's why I said it was production ready and just needed to be manufactured. If Universal doesn't proceed, I think the work that has already been undertaken would make it an attractive licensing opportunity for a company like Shout.

As for season 6 being released, there's still hope I think. Although a announcement is late compared to season's 4 and 5 and they've already announced some releases for next year in the timeslot that Emergency! was being released each year, remember that season 2 and 3 weren't announced until towards the end of November.

And going back to the movies that have seen some discussion here, I revisited 4 of the 6 (I'll watch the other two soon) after seeing people saying they weren't very good. While it's sad to not see Engine 51 anywhere besides the highlight show (Even in the movies that take place in LA) and the doctors and Dixie in just two of the specials besides the highlight show, I enjoy these.

Was cool to see other interesting locations like San Francisco (What's a Nice Girl Like You Doing...? and The Convention) and Puget Sound (Most Deadly Passage) and to see differences in the paramedic program and how it was evolving in other locations. And they did a good job casting interesting characters for the two San Francisco and the Puget Sound episodes.

I didn't care much for Survival on Charter 220 though, the two paramedics aren't even in most of it and it doesn't pick up until the last half hour or so when it starts to get interesting. I remember The Steel Inferno and Greatest Rescues of Emergency! being good and think I'll enjoy those when I rewatch them just like I remember doing the first time.

I really hope we get a DVD release of these. I had forgotten how cut they were when aired on TVLand. There's scenes in the part 2 teaser summarizing part 1 in some of them that you don't even see in part 1, and they're missing key scenes that make a few things don't make sense (Such as an individual being trapped in his apartment in Survival on Charter 220, you see the man's dog get the fireman's attention and them start trying to clear debris to rescue him, and then they cut to another scene and the next time you see the man, he's walking into his wife's hospital room to visit her at the end of the episode...).

They seem to have had 15-20 minutes cut when aired on TVLand, though 1 of them (I forget which) ran a bit closer to what it should've been for a 2 hour episode.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I think the original run times of those post series movies is about 96 minutes. When the movies ran on TV Land, they were edited down to about 90 minutes. So only 6 minutes or so is missing. Sometimes TV Land would also speed up or time compress their shows. They applied different methods in the programs to allow for ample advertising time. The TV Land airings of the regular Emergency! episodes also run about 5 minutes short, it looks like most of the scenes they cut was minor stuff, like street scenes while on their way to a rescue, etc.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I watched both of the last two today, and noted that Greatest Rescues of Emergency! ran for approximately 86 minutes without any cuts to things like the end credits to part 1 or introduction for part 2 (In otherwords, I didn't modify it to run as a single seamless movie).

I might be a minute off or so since I was sloppy putting these together years ago with editing the commercial breaks, so I have a few seconds left in many of the commercial breaks.

That's without any cuts to what TVLand broadcast. So I'd say you're probably right, somewhere around 6-10 minutes is missing. I could swear one of the ones I watched earlier only ran around 1:15 with a few seconds of commercials here and there still left, maybe I'll pull them all back out and check.

Have to say though they did a decent job if they had to cut The Steel Inferno and Greatest Rescues down, there weren't any obvious cuts that are immediately obvious. So at least some thought like you said went into it so as to not make it completely obvious. Maybe they're even complete and just time compressed like you said.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Originally Posted by younger1968

it is looking more and more like this release will not happen in February.

I am thinking this release isn't going to happen at all. Hopefully I am wrong. It seems that Universal is indifferent about this series, shabby episode quality in the seasons 4 and 5 DVD, even in the 3rd season set there are syndicated unrestored prints of some episodes.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I agree, it's not looking good.

Hopefully a company like Shout licenses it and finishes it out. They seem to be doing well with Adam-12, so there's still some hope I'd say.

Emergency! must've been somewhat more popular back when season 1 hit to have been the show Universal continued over Adam-12 (Both sufferred from the same DVD issues). So if they're making Adam-12 work, I would think season 6 of Emergency! and it's 6 movies would be a even more attractive prospect for Shout.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I see another Universal show was announced today for release in March (Tremors).

Perhaps they've just shuffled things around a bit and adjusted their release calendar, affecting this series. So maybe there is still some hope.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm just happy that we have the first five seasons. Even if they don't release the rest of the series, I'm happy that we got the five seasons. :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Emergency! - Don't Call For an Ambulance; Sources Say the Paramedics ARE On the Way!
Rumors say that the Emergency! - Season 6 DVDs are indeed en routePosted by David Lambert
blackpixel.gif">

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I want to see an offical announcement from the studio including a release date. Until that happens, I won't get excited.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
This is good enough for me, thanks for bringing us this news TVShowsonDVD.com

It's a good enough confirmation for me, it indicates all Universal has done is adjust their scheduling and that Emergency! hasn't flat lined like we all feared. :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
With the problems NBC/Universal is having these days, I want to see an official release date for season 6 before I get my hopes up. Show me a release date, then and only then will I believe that this DVD set is coming out.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Don't look forward to an announcement anytime soon. I doubt that they'll be announcing release dates for shows as I suspect that Comcast may have something to say where NBC is spending its money. While TV Shows on DVD announced that it was coming, the lack of any defined release date makes it evident that season set releases may be on hiatus from the company for some time.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Emergency! - Paramedics Have Been Dispatched: The 6th (and Final) Season is Announced!
5-DVD set is coming in mid-March, with the final 24 regular-season episodesPosted by David Lambert
blackpixel.gif
1/13/2010
blackpixel.gif
A month ago we let you know that there was no reason to worry: DVDs full of paramedic adventures were on the way for 2010, per our industry sources. That was made good this morning, with Universal officially announcing an April 13th street date for Emergency! - Season 6 on DVD. This final regular season of the classic series, featuring 24 episodes that originally aired in 1976-77, will come on 5 discs for just $39.98 SRP. Running 1138 minutes long, the set is presented in full frame video, English mono audio, and with English subtitles.

Package art hasn't been made available yet, but stay tuned and we'll bring that to you just as soon as we can. While the studio hasn't officially said anything yet, we're hearing that they are considering a 2011 DVD release of the six post-series telefilms which aired in 1978-79, reuniting DeSoto and Gage for a number of feature-length adventures. Chances are good that we will see that, probably with a title along the lines of "Emergency! - Movie Collection".

On the other hand, there's been no indication yet about whether we should expect any part of the short-lived (11 episodes) 1974 spin-off series Sierra, or the animated version of the original series, the two-season-long 1973 series Emergency +4 (which featured the voices of live-action stars Kevin Tighe and Randolph Mantooth). We know that passionate fans are hoping to see both of these on DVD, but right now we just don't know either way. We'll let you know if we hear anything, though, so stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks