What's new

Ellery Queen (Hutton) now on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Go right ahead. This is something they should fix if they can do it.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I agree about the theme music for the pilot film. Now maybe that's the way it aired originally, but I doubt it. The arrangement of the theme that plays over the open of the syndicated version of the pilot is not the same as heard in the series, so I think it's likely that it was composed for the opening credits of the pilot, and then altered a bit for the series proper. Yeah, they should fix it, but on a minor release like this (compared to the much bigger sellers) it probably won't happen. I don't like it, but the rest of the set is so superb that I can live with it.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mark-edk

I agree about the theme music for the pilot film. Now maybe that's the way it aired originally, but I doubt it. The arrangement of the theme that plays over the open of the syndicated version of the pilot is not the same as heard in the series, so I think it's likely that it was composed for the opening credits of the pilot, and then altered a bit for the series proper. Yeah, they should fix it, but on a minor release like this (compared to the much bigger sellers) it probably won't happen. I don't like it, but the rest of the set is so superb that I can live with it.
No, Jack P has got it correct. I remember watching it when it originally aired and it had the Bernstein music in the intro. I e-mailed E1 about the issue and we'll see if we get a response back. Just for giggles, Jack P, would there be an alternative audio track situation, by any chance? If you select it one way you get the Mystery Movie theme and intro and if you select it another way you get the Bernstein Ellery Queen music? Just curious.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
LOL, afraid not. What's bizarre is that the Mystery Theme and the annoucer bit does synch up without a hitch to the credits but the problem is the theme clashes with the visuals on all levels. I find it ironic that for years we have wished we could hear the Mystery Movie theme and announcer on releases of Columbo etc. but the first time it gets put on DVD in such a fashion its done in the wrong way!

I really think what happened here is that because E1 would not have the rights legally to use the Mystery Movie flashlight open which would have meant plastering the titles of "Columbo" etc. on-screen they thought they'd be doing fans a favor by sneaking in the audio this way and thinking the fans would like hearing it instead of the traditional opening.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Jack P

LOL, afraid not. What's bizarre is that the Mystery Theme and the annoucer bit does synch up without a hitch to the credits but the problem is the theme clashes with the visuals on all levels. I find it ironic that for years we have wished we could hear the Mystery Movie theme and announcer on releases of Columbo etc. but the first time it gets put on DVD in such a fashion its done in the wrong way!

I really think what happened here is that because E1 would not have the rights legally to use the Mystery Movie flashlight open which would have meant plastering the titles of "Columbo" etc. on-screen they thought they'd be doing fans a favor by sneaking in the audio this way and thinking the fans would like hearing it instead of the traditional opening.

I should be getting my copy in the next day or so. I am looking forward to this release. I love mystery series and this is one i was looking forward to adding to my collection.

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
An Amazon reviewer reports that his six discs will only play the first episode on each disc and each freezes halfway through the second episode.

Any such glitches among anyone here? (remember to audition deep into each disc) Thanks!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I watched "Veronica's Veils", which was the third episode on its disc, and the Bill Link interview, which came at the end of its disc. Both played through with no problems, for what it's worth.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I had no problems, but used the "play all" selection. Don't know if that makes a difference, Amazon reviewers can be somewhat unreliable (did they try multiple players or is it their player??) and apt to complain about lots.
Originally Posted by TheGreatOz

/forum/thread/295435/ellery-queen-reportedly-coming-in-2010/60#post_3733977

TheGreatOz

Second Unit
Real Name
Rod
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Agreed Jeff - I'd sooner trust our Community here than ax-grinding Amazombies. LOL

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watch a couple of episodes last night and love this show. I really like how Ellery comes on the show as says do you know who has done it. This show keeps you focus on the evidence gathering and/or other points about the case, like phone booth, being left handed, etc.

The quality of the image is very good! I would recommend this series do anyone who likes those shows about who's done it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have watched several episodes, because the show is like the game clue. I love trying to figure out the subtle clues and i really like how Ellery comes on an says i know who did it, do you?

I love shows that keep you as a prisoner and have you thinking about who did it.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have watched all the episodes and the show is great. I like having the ability to solve the crime. Sometimes the clues are very hard and you need to pay attention to what is happening through out the episode.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have been so busy that I've only slowly been making my way through the set. I'm just starting disc three this week. What a pleasure to get to see these again looking so wonderful! I had not forgotten how marvelously produced this show was, but it's great to see that my early impressions of it were not wrong.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by MattH.

I have been so busy that I've only slowly been making my way through the set. I'm just starting disc three this week. What a pleasure to get to see these again looking so wonderful! I had not forgotten how marvelously produced this show was, but it's great to see that my early impressions of it were not wrong.

Hi Matt,

I agree with you. I have watched many of the epsides. I never seen this show as a kid, so it was like watching it for the first time. Back in 1970s there was only one color tv in our house and a black white set upstairs, but, it did not have cable, but just rabbit ears. The old converter was push button conveter and i had share the set with my brothers and parents. You also add into the fact that i was outside playing most of the time then there was little time between playing and homework to watch tv. I think i may watch 2hrs of tv a night and that could be a stretch.

Real Name
Håkan Andersson
According to Wikipedia the Australian edition of Ellery Queen also contains the earlier TV movie Ellery Queen: Don't Look Behind You which Levinson and Link co-wrote under their pseudonym 'Ted Leighton'. This filmed was based on the book "Cat of Many Tails" (1949) which many consider to be their best book. Although the TV-film is supposed to be rather poor. It was rewritten by others and inspector Queen was replaced with an uncle... Strange that the person from Madman who wrote earlier in this thread didn't mention this?

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Originally Posted by Hakan Andersson

According to Wikipedia the Australian edition of Ellery Queen also contains the earlier TV movie Ellery Queen: Don't Look Behind You which Levinson and Link co-wrote under their pseudonym 'Ted Leighton'. This filmed was based on the book "Cat of Many Tails" (1949) which many consider to be their best book. Although the TV-film is supposed to be rather poor. It was rewritten by others and inspector Queen was replaced with an uncle... Strange that the person from Madman who wrote earlier in this thread didn't mention this?
I have this set and can confirm that it is an extra on the last disc. I have not had a chance to sit down and watch this set yet, but it looks as if it's another great job from Madman.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The supporting cast for Ellerby Queen is very good with people Tom Bosley, Joan Collins, David Hedison, Dick Van Patten and even Higgens from Magum PI plays in a few episodes.

If you like games like Clue and/or shows that you have to solved the crime then this is rate up your alley.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Just saw Van Patten today in his season 2 Cannon appearance, I mostly know him as a more comedic actor but he's absolutely brilliant here in a very dramatic vengeful low-key character part, looking almost like Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lector...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks