What's new

Ellery Queen (Hutton) now on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm immensely relieved by the news about the pilot and am looking forward to the set. That said, I'm not thrilled with the package art, because for one thing the show was simply called "Ellery Queen" not "Ellery Queen Mysteries." It makes it look too much like a British series release IMO.

Real Name
Håkan Andersson
The name "Ellery Queen" means very little to today's audience, hence the addition of the word "Mysteries", I would presume. But that could have easily been solved in another way, for instance "Ellery Queen - The Complete Classic Who-Done-It TV series".

I also would have liked another cover, with Hutton and Wayne on it. And I think David Wayne's name should have been mentioned on the cover!

So I guess that the U.S and Australia edition of E.Q. will be identicial?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Agreed, leaving the pictures of Hutton and Wayne off is another thing I don't like about the cover.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

Boy, I loved that opening. I'd sure like to have seen one of the many Columbo dvds offer that opening as an "extra" somewhere in the set.

Gary "still hoping Neil's source is right on about Hec Ramsey - I want that series badly" O.

You won't get the guy with the flashlight, but Mancini recorded that theme on his "Big Screen, Little Screen" album. It's available on CD at Amazon at a rather pricey $23, or you can download the Mystery Movie Theme along for 99 cents.

MadmanTV

Grip
Real Name
Grant
Hi mystery fans...

Maybe someone on the forum could help solve the mystery of who provided the voice-over at the start of each of the Ellery Queen episodes?

It sounds a bit like Billy Bletcher but can't find any confirmation in any of my history of the series, nor in reference material.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Actually, it's William Woodson, who also did the narration on "The Invaders" and "The Odd Couple" ("On November 13, Felix Unger was asked to remove himself from his place of residence......")

Woodson in fact is still alive at age 97 and still active apparently in voiceover work.

MadmanTV

Grip
Real Name
Grant
Thanks Jack! That's so helpful. That voice is so familiar - apart from Odd Couple and Invaders, also recognise him from 1980s Super Friends cartoons.

Cheers

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I thought it was Ted Knight doing the Super Friends voiceover.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
It's now up for preorder on Amazon - $53.99 list with a 9/28 release date. The price will probably drop closer to release. I already preordered.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have pre-order this show. I have always been a big fan of murder/mystery tv shows.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And the preview clip confirms we will be seeing the "Match Wits" teasers with William Woodson's narration. Looks like they're going to do this gem right!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm wondering whether to pre-order the Region 1 complete series set of Ellery Queen, because E1 release film and TV DVD titles in the UK and Ellery Queen: The Complete Series might be released over here.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i have order the Ellerly Queen series. I am big fan of sherlock holmes and other similar shows. So, i am wondering if this series is similar to Sherlock Holmes.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi all,

I have pre-order Ellery Queen Mysteries, which is due out on Septembe 29, 2010. Can anyone shed any light around the quality of this show? I was too young to remember the show in its original run.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
On disc episode runtimes are 49m 30ish seconds. Veddy nice set. Much enjoyed Hutton and Wayne as well as the 18 minute interview with Link. Highly recommended.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Jack P

Here's an equally disconcerting thought to the idea that the pilot may not be there. Assuming the pilot is in the set and the running time is correct, that would mean the running time for each episode would only be 46.5 minutes. And that is way too short for a series from the mid-70s by at least 2-3 minutes.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Jeff Swindoll

On disc episode runtimes are 49m 30ish seconds. Veddy nice set. Much enjoyed Hutton and Wayne as well as the 18 minute interview with Link. Highly recommended.

Cheers.

I am looking forward to this released. I have pre-order the show.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
My set came today and I just had a major dose of cold water poured over the excitement I felt as I loaded in the pilot movie. But first, the good news. The remastering is beautiful. I have never seen the episode look better. And the "Match Wits" teaser is intact as promised.

BUT, and this is a big one. The opening credits music has been altered. Instead of Bernstein's theme music which always plays over the credits of "Too Many Suspects" in every version I have seen, the producers of this set have instead substituted the NBC Mystery Movie music and as the credits end we hear the announcer's voice about "Tonight, Ellery Queen etc." that's been referenced before in regard to the first ever showing of the Ellery Queen pilot film as a Mystery Movie in place of Columbo, McCloud etc. But this Mystery Movie music and announcer's voiceover would have played over the traditional NBC Mystery Movie open with the lantern and the rotating titles of "Columbo", "McCloud" etc. While this audio is thus authentic from the original broadcast it DOES NOT BELONG OVER THE TITLE CREDITS IN PLACE OF BERNSTEIN'S THEME. The effect is very jarring and distracting especially when it fades out and we pick up Bernstein's music entering the first scene.

Now keep in mind, Bernstein's theme is not replaced on the regular episodes, it's only been improperly changed for the title credits of the pilot. The episode itself looks perfect, but this Mystery Movie open and announcer's bit belonged as a supplement of some kind (I can understand not using the original video of the lantern etc. since that would have required showing titles of shows they are not licensed to use like Columbo, McMillan And Wife, McCloud) not over the actual film's beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks