What's new

Elizabeth Taylor DVD? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
While I am happy with the news of the DVD of Doctor Faustus (starring Elizabeth Taylor) to be released in March, I still wish there was a higher output of her films coming to DVD. Such important movies of hers that are still not availible include:

- Jane Eyre (1944 version, uncredited)
- The White Cliffs of Dover
- Ivanhoe (1952 version)
- Elephant Walk
- Beau Brummel
- RAINTREE COUNTY (high on my list)
- The VIP's
- Reflections in a Golden Eye (co-starring the great Brando)
- Cleopatra DIRECTORS CUT!!!!

These would look great along with her other films on DVD such as Giant, A Place in the Sun and the current Cleopatra.

Andy

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Have you actually seen Doctor Faustus, Andrew?

Taylor's role is a non speaking bit part. Columbia's cover leads one to expect Taylor has a major role. Talk about misleading!

As for Taylor's output yet to see the light of day on DVD, I'd love to see Elephant Walk, Reflections In A Golden Eye, X Y & Zee, The VIPs, A Little Night Music and Ivanhoe

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Not to mention upgraded transfers/special editions of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe. Shouldn't be unthinkable since Warner's has been releasing new transfers of their earlier DVD releases.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Image Entertainment was to release "A Little Night Music" on DVD but the film elements were in pretty bad shape and the release was cancelled.

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love Ivanhoe as well (and Jane Eyre, though I certainly wouldn't think of it as a Liz Taylor movie). Other than that, I think Liz has been pretty well-served on DVD, at least in terms of work she should want people to see. Some of the others mentioned here are howlingly bad - Reflections in A Golden Eye? One of the funniest bad movies ever. The VIPs and X, Y and Z are pretty much in the same boat, and what's that other one? (runs to the IMDB)...oh yeah, Secret Ceremony. MST3K material all! Liz was in a run of truly horrific stuff after "Virginia Woolf".

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see them on DVD, but not for polite reasons.

And complaining about the non-availability of a likely non-existent movie (Cleopatra director's cut) is probably not fair to Fox. Whether or not anyone needs an even longer mediocre epic is another question.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Darrell, but major disagreements regarding John Huston's Reflections In A Golden Eye and X Y & Zee. Even the severely critical, legendary Pauline Kael, not a Taylor fan, considered Taylor's performance in X Y & Zee superior to her work in Virignia Woolf and called Huston's Refelctions, "sensuous and intense" and regarding Brando said "this is one of his most daring performances".

Still, if you don't get it, you don't get it.

obscurelabel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry

:emoji_thumbsup:

Does anyone need more of a recommendation than that? ;)

Seriously, I have a VHS copy of this taped off of AMC from years ago, it is fascinating, even if it's not "good" in a convetional sense. Maybe it is "good", I certainly enjoyed it!

Just as a point of interest, my understanding is that the original film was released in a sepia or reduced color version, with a "golden" tone broken up only by touches of red. Another experiment with color from John Huston, following "Moulin Rouge" and "Moby Dick". The tape copy that I have is full color, which was how TV prints were made. This is interesting enough to warrant a DVD release. If anyone in charge is reading, we need an SE with both versions, plus commentary from Julie Harris, Marlon Brando, and Liz! ;)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I'm not complaining of the lack of a director's cut for Cleopatra, I would just LOVE to have it someday. I think that with the extra 2 hours added back in, and split into two parts (Caesar and Cleopatra; and Antony and Cleopatra) this could truly be a great film.

Andy

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas,

All I can say is:

1. Rent the VHS
2. Put your Crow T Robot hat on
3. Press play and let the fun begin!

Extra shout outs for the whip-pan final shot, the silliest idea John Huston ever had (or at least was willing to commit to film).

Yes, it is a daring performance by Brando. We are very much on the same page there.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"I'm not complaining of the lack of a director's cut for Cleopatra, I would just LOVE to have it someday. I think that with the extra 2 hours added back in, and split into two parts (Caesar and Cleopatra; and Antony and Cleopatra) this could truly be a great film."

A director's cut would be interesting but I don't think we can assume the film would be great - I some what doubt it, but the fact is that it would be longer.

Don't forget "The Taming of the Shrew" another post "Virgina Woolf" film which is also very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks