What's new

Elementary - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
On the Line was a mixed bag for me. I liked that the show acknowledged the real world implications of someone like Holmes being resented by some on the force; seeing him as an interloper and the embodiment of a criticism of their ability to resolve cases. Shows like House and The Mentalist have dealt with similar circumstances so it was no surprise to see this element explored, but I liked how various facets of the issue were examined. (Exceptions being made for someone exceptional, to use Holme's phrase.)

I thought the pacing was kind of off on the episode with the resolution feeling perfunctory. The protagonists had been aware that some time passed between the disappearance of the victims and the eventual discovery of their bodies so the revelation that a location was needed as it related to the studio felt a little forced.

Not a bad episode by any means, just a little off for me.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For me, last night's episode was about the relationship between Holmes and Watson and to a lesser extent Holmes and the Captain. As to the type of person Holmes is and how those other two people deal with him going forward.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, the relationship stuff was the primary fodder for this episode, and I did like Holmes-Watson and Holmes-Gregson very much in defining the core relationships of the show.

The case was creepy and unsettling enough, but the ending did seem too abrupt and arbitrary. And that blonde assistant of the killer's at his studio: she didn't figure into his activities at all? With the girls being kept there? Troy Garity did a wonderful job etching such a weird, undesirable character.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The return of Moriarty, and I have to admit I was surprised she didn't make an escape. I assumed when I read she was on this week that the whole point was going to put her at large again.

Also nice surprise with the kidnapped girl. I certainly didn't see that coming!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I like that Watson can hold her own against Moriarty, mainly because M. doesn't quite know what to make of her yet and of her relationship with Holmes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cameron Yee said:
I like that Holmes can hold her own against Moriarty, mainly because M. doesn't quite know what to make of her yet and of her relationship with Holmes.
You mean Watson holding her own. Moriarty feels threaten by Holmes/Watson's relationship and it clearly irks her. Also, Watson has a pretty good read on Moriarty.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, with Holmes alone, Moriarty felt she could manipulate him through his emotions, but with Watson as a buffer/sounding board, she has a lot less potential power over him, and that has to irk her immensely.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Surprised to see no posts about this show for awhile. Anyway...

I really liked the interaction with Holmes and Lestrade in this episode. It may have been just a bit of stretch that Lestrade was so heavily invested in the case of the week, but not implausible. The 'cock' jokes were a little juvenile (as Joan indicated) but they were fun. In particular, Sherlock's comment regarding tombstones and epitaphs as the payoff to Joan's exasperated reaction to the rooster outside her bedroom door. I believe it was fairly obvious that the fighting birds were a metaphor for Holmes and Lestrade, so one can assume that the relationship between Holmes and Lestrade is in a better place than it was at the start of the episode.

I have previously commented upon the writing of this series and I thought that the dialog in this particular episode was really well done.

- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not one of the more baffling mysteries of the series but an enjoyable episode nevertheless.

I enjoyed seeing Lestrade again and hope he'll recur from time to time.

The tears in Jonny Lee Miller's eyes as the roosters played nice with one another was very touching, I thought, leading to their keeping the birds. Let's see: with the turtle and the bees, they're collecting quite a menagerie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
Not one of the more baffling mysteries of the series but an enjoyable episode nevertheless.

I enjoyed seeing Lestrade again and hope he'll recur from time to time.

The tears in Jonny Lee Miller's eyes as the roosters played nice with one another was very touching, I thought, leading to their keeping the birds. Let's see: with the turtle and the bees, they're collecting quite a menagerie.
Watson: I'm not feeding them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
So the Lestrade story arc concludes this week very satisfyingly, and there was a nice, twisty mystery to boot.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This is still one of my favorite shows. I look forward to it each week.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Me, too. The plotting continues to not play down to the viewer, and the performances all still resonate wonderfully. In fact, I rewatch each episode a few days after the first viewing and catch all sorts of things I missed the first time around when I was concentrating on trying to figure out the solution before Sherlock arrives at it.

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
I find the show does well when it is exploring a lengthy arc. While I enjoyed these couple Lestrade episodes, there are bigger questions they need to get back to exploring......

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Michael Fennessy said:
I find the show does well when it is exploring a lengthy arc. While I enjoyed these couple Lestrade episodes, there are bigger questions they need to get back to exploring......
Which they will with a 22-23 episode season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
So glad to see that the thaw is now complete between Sherlock and Detective Bell (I had worried the actor playing Marcus was going to leave the show). A wonderful final scene between the two of them this week. Nifty mystery, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks