What's new

Elementary (CBS) - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The modern day Sherlock Holmes crime drama "Elementary", starring Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu, starts tonight on CBS at 10p.m EDT. This is one of the few new shows I'm interested in this season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thoroughly enjoyed the pilot episode, but since we had seen extensive clips from it all summer, I'm looking forward to a completely fresh case next week.

I'm a big fan of Jonny Lee Miller, and I thought he was splendid. Liked Lucy Liu, too, even if she seemed to segue into being an expert interrogator maybe a bit too quickly and easily.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I thought it was a solid episode.
Introduced both characters nicely.
Did anyone else think the pilot was bass heavy?
Especially when Johnny Lee MIller was speaking.
I'll be seeing this show til the end.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I didn't quite notice that, but...
I have noticed in other shows that the bass tracks have been overdone(no I don't have specific examples)...
My solution has been, lately, to go into set-up and set the subwoofer "no" and let the fronts do it all. But I have large(as in really large towers) front speakers. I'll be watching Last Resort tonight to see if they employ anything to make "height" work like the movie U571 does...
But being "overly bassy", not just this show.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Nice opening. Not a show I think I'll feel the need to catch EVERY week. But, one I'll gladly catch when I can.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A great ratings start for the show (built audience in 18-49 from Person of Interest lead-in though POI triumphed in total viewers and against tougher competition).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A pretty good start as it looks like CBS has my Thursday TV viewing locked up from 9-11 p.m.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if Lucy is really a baseball fan, if so, she's probably a Mets fan being from Queens?

Crawdaddy

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed the pilot episode. I'll be following along this season. I'm glad they are going in a different direction than Sherlock did. (I did not see Eli Stone in the Jonny Lee Miller's performance.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
NeilO said:
I enjoyed the pilot episode. I'll be following along this season. I'm glad they are going in a different direction than Sherlock did. (I did not see Eli Stone in the Jonny Lee Miller's performance.)
Oh, not at all; two completely different characters. Really looking forward to next week's episode.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
Oh, not at all; two completely different characters. Really looking forward to next week's episode.
Exactly. There are some actors who seem quite the same whenever you see them. Reed Diamond seems to practically play the same character from one appearance to the next. (It was only at the end of Dollhouse that he seemed a bit different than his other roles.)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed the show and hope it's a success. My only problem was that through much of the episode I thought I was watching "Psych", just subtract the comedy and fun banter between characters.
Glad to Lucy Liu back, but she seems terribly under utilized. I guess I miss her "Ally McBeal" days, she needs more attitude.
Overall a good show, looking forward to the season and hope it makes it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Stan /t/324059/elementary-series-premiere-9-27-2012#post_3981447
Enjoyed the show and hope it's a success. My only problem was that through much of the episode I thought I was watching "Psych", just subtract the comedy and fun banter between characters.
Glad to Lucy Liu back, but she seems terribly under utilized. I guess I miss her "Ally McBeal" days, she needs more attitude.
Overall a good show, looking forward to the season and hope it makes it.

Lucy was so good on this past season's Southland, and while I was sorry to see her go from that series, glad to have her around on Elementary. But I DO NOT want a romance ever to brew between Holmes and Watson. That would be a breaking point for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/324059/elementary-series-premiere-9-27-2012#post_3981500

Lucy was so good on this past season's Southland, and while I was sorry to see her go from that series, glad to have her around on Elementary. But I DO NOT want a romance ever to brew between Holmes and Watson. That would be a breaking point for me.
I agree they need to be crime busting partners.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
If anyone wants to watch it again or for the first time, the pilot is for free on Itunes in HD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not bad. I'll watch a few more episodes to see how it goes. Surprisingly, I rather like Lucy Liu and don't really care for Jonny Lee Miller in their roles. I'd expected it to be the opposite.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Elementary may not be full of earth shaking creativity, but it fills a gaping hole in my schedule now House is off the air and CSI:LV is bordering on unwatchable.

Like many procedurals starring non-cops, I don't see how they're allowed to interrogate suspects, but the plot had a very Conan-Doyle-ish twist to it, which breaks it away from the usual crime procedurals on the air..

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm a sucker for the Holmesian, and I found this well implemented. I like seeing Liu in a more nuanced, dare I say mature, role as well after being in Charlie's Angels and Ally McBeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks