What's new

effects of sub on concert DVD's (1 Viewer)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a pair of infinity speakers that each have (4) 6 1/2" bass drivers powered by a seperate 300 watt amp. I use my system mostly for watching concert DVD's. I feel I am missing the kick that is felt when being at an actual concert.

Does a good sub, (Let's say and SVS pb-ultra), add the punch to all the drums? I'm not sure what frequency drum beats are at.

I have no sub now, other then what is built in my speakers. I have the speaker settings set to large and the sub channel turned off on my reciever's settings.

Can someone please put some light on this for me?

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
huge difference. yes get a sub. some say a sealed sub is better for music. some say if its made right, it shouldnt matterif its ported or sealed or whatever. but then their are the IB cult guys who say IB subs are the best. Ive heard many a box xubs but I cant say which was best. the M&L Descent was really loud though.

Matt G.

Agent

Uh, yeah. I watch alot of concert DVD's. I wouldn't bother without having a sub. Not only will your sub make the low end great, it will also free up your other speakers to do what they do best. You might be able to cross your Infinities a bit lower because they are powered, but with a sub like an Ultra, it will probably sound great regardless.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I had towers (def tech) with built in 10" subs that had their own power. I have since got rid of them and have purchased an SVS PB2+ for my only sub. My rig prior to the def techs were NHT towers with 2 seperate subs. Anyway the SVS blows them all away. I am a firm believer and have paid a big price buying all this other stuff first over the years to finally find something that makes you think your at the concert. I also now have Rockets all the way around for speakers. Wish they had them 5 years + ago when I first started buying good sized speakers.. between them and SVS they cost half of either of the above set ups I had.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I am more a music listener than home theater person, so music accuracy was the main interest in my setup. Separating the bass into a dedicated and well positioned subwoofer made all the difference in the world. I can't say enough great things about the ease in which my Hsu VTF-3 Mk2 enhanced my system musically. Well worth the money.;)

PC

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input guys.

I decided to see for myself. I ordered an SVS PCB12/Plus2 today. It was tough to decide between that and the PCB12/Ultra2...I even lost sleep over it last night.

But I figured if I've gone all these years with my tiny 6 1/2" drivers, why do I need to spend the extra $800 for the Ultra?

I'm assuming the PCB12/Plus2 will be a huge improvement anyway!

Thanks again.

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
Adding a sub, especially for smaller main speakers is a huge benefit. That is what I did with my Samson's, and it made a huge difference!

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
See my post about having a bass epiphony.

Since this weekend I have purchased 3 concert DVD ONLY because I have found the missing link to concert music.

James Taylor
Roger Waters
Simon & Garfunkle

this coming week I'm branching out to harder/louder concert (I'm a head banger by trade) because my SVS 20-39PCi gives me missing element in concerts.

hmmmm
Heart
The Who
Dave Mathews this week I think

Then NIN
Linkon Park
Led Zepplin
Metallica: With the San Francisco Symphony

SO MANY choices - it's a brand new world!!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Sub is a must for HT concerts. I have alot of them and watch them all the time or put them on as my office is right off the family room where my HT is. Being a drummer many moons ago, I love to feel that bass beat. The SVS does not dissapoint at all. You can feel it through out the house if you really want to crank it. I'd love to be able to haul all my stuff outside to my deck and let er rip sometime. I did that once many years ago at a friends house that had no neighbors for miles. We sat outside quit a bit away and it was very cool. I think I had like a 200 watt per amp at the time much different gear than now but boy was it fun for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks