What's new

Effective receiver for running a 2.1 HT set-up? (1 Viewer)

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently looking for the best combination for a 2.1 HT set-up. No clue on the speakers yet, but they will for sure be bookshelves (furniture restriction).

I know this is not asked very often, but what receiver will be best for powering just 2 speakers? It will be ran in the phantom mode to simulate a center.

Any suggestions toward receivers or speakers would be helpful. I am restricted to a budget around $750 for the whole combo.

Thanks, in advance

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For stereo, the common suggestions are Onkyo and Harman Kardon. For those with a higher budget, the Outlaw 2150 looks good. It has a subwoofer output with real bass management but costs $649. I'm currently drooling over their 1070 avr.

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
FeisalK, you just pretty much picked my receiver for me :) I was looking for a receiver that I may want to use later on when I upgrade, and as of now, all my components are silver. A smaller receiver is perfect, as well (as space is limited).

So that Dual Amp Drive diagram you attached above isn't a specific way I have to wire it myself, it's just the way the XR55 and XR57's run the speakers, right?

I want to understand this fully: a- you suggested this receiver because it'll drive a 2.1 set-up better than other receivers because of the way it runs in 2-channel mode, and b- since HDMI is video and audio, i need 2 HDMI cables, right? one from the source to the receiver, then from the receiver to the TV? im guessing the HDMI-capable receiver acts as a switcher for a few sources.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Dual amp drive works without having to rewire anything - in fact it'll work even if you hook up a 5.1 but choose stereo playback (with the XR57 dual amp even works in 5.1 mode)

but if you are running purely in 2.1 you can TRIPLE amp, but this needs bi-wiring - if your speakers support it - how-to is in the receiver manual

Note that the XR57 isn't a switcher it has only one HDMI input and output, and cannot convert video from other inputs.

I'm suggesting it because it sounds great - how do you feel about B&W 802Ds :laugh:

calvin_b

Stunt Coordinator
but if i were to want to run HDMI from my blu-ray player, i have to buy 2 HDMI cables, correct? source -- receiver -- tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks