What's new

Effect of receiver on TV (1 Viewer)

Karl_C

Grip
My TV is connected to my receiver via composite output from TV to TV input on receiver. I noticed that when I turn on the receiver the picture becomes brighter and a bit clearer. Not that I'm complaining. Can someone please explain to me how this happens? Thanks.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
your picture becomes brighter and clearer when you *on* the receiver? that's trippy.

how is your tv getting it's signal? over-the-air antenna? cable? dish?

the only thing i can think of is that your receiver is somehow emitting some sort of rfi (magnetic?) interference. maybe it's acting as some sort of antenna boost? but that should only work if you're using an antenna.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A question for you Karl: ‘why are you running a video output from your TV to an input on your receiver?”

It is possible that there are alternate methods of connecting your video gear.

MikeTrotter

Agent
Karl,unless you don't have many inputs for your tv to support all your gear.I would hook all my dvd players sat box etc. directly to the tv.This way you will know you will be getting the best picture possible.Only if I didn't have enough inputs on your tv would I start connecting gear through my video on the receiver.If you have enough inputs on your tv do this for the best pic possible from your dvd player laser disc etc.

Karl_C

Grip
I actually just tried connecting the video output from the TV to the input on the receiver.The TV was formerly connected using the audio out. I'm using cable by the way. The picture was better so I stuck with it. In fact, the color improved. If the receiver is turned off, red bleeds a little. When the reciver is turned on red is balanced. The way it should be. DVD is conncted directly to TV via S-vid cable. Thanks for the inputs guys.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Connecting the video OUTPUT to the receiver should make absolutely no difference whatsoever, since nothing is being fed back to the TV. If you had it the other way around, there *might* be a difference.

It sounds like what you have is some kind of ground loop or poor grounding issue, that inadvertently makes your picture look better to you. Have you calibrated your TV using Video Essentials or Avia?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Because of this same confusion I elected not to try to answer this question late last night. Your video outputs to the receiver's video inputs basically do nothing, lead nowhere.

Karl_C

Grip
Yeah that's why I'm a bit confused. I used the THX optimizer to calibrate. Thanks anyway guys.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks