What's new

Edmonton Oilers going to the Stanley Cup! (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Wow... Congratulations Carolina, you deserved it.

Edmonton put up such a tremendous challenge... I hope they can resign all their mid level talent that are becoming UFA and FA this year so they can make another run at it.

Repeat with me now:

The HARTFORD WHALERS won the Stanley Cup.

Lets all let that sink in now...

The Hartford Whalers.

Congratulations.

Back at em next year!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I guess the Whale is no longer a Whale. Amazing the team from Hartford that sold more playoff tickets to it's rivals to the north can sell out a place in NC and have them screaming to the rafters. Great atmosphere and most of them even knew the game enough to know when and what to cheer. Who would think that the Carolina's first major championship would be in hockey? It's come a long way since I lived in NC.

And I must say, this was one of the more exciting playoffs and Finals in a long, long time. The new rules are great and the officials finally figured out how to call it right without injecting themselves in the game too much (they let a lot more go, but they called the ones they had to). Up and down, speed, speed, speed and great defense. I wish I could say hockey is back, but I'm a Bruins fan, so I can't. But I will say hockey looks better than it has in years.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I was rooting for Carolina all the way -- because I hate the Oilers and remember very fondly the Whalers -- but the whole series had some great hockey, and Edmonton played very hard and very well all the way through. This was a series where the "loser" really doesn't deserve to feel like that at all.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Congrats to the Whalers... I mean Hurricanes. This was a very well played Finals. I was glad to see Cam Ward win the Conn Smythe. He played amazing in net after replacing Gerber in the opening series.

I like the new rules changes, too, for the most part. The game has been opened up more now that they are trying to reduce the clutching and grabbing, and the elimination of the two-line offside is great. I think they need to change the new delay of game penalty when a team shoots the puck over the glass from their own defensive zone, though. It's too harsh a penalty, IMO, and also unfair, since the glass height is not the same in every rink. A more fair punishment would be to treat it the same as the new icing infraction -- you cannot change lines after the icing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks