What's new

Edge of Tomorrow (2014) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well to be fair it's not often that a chick flick out grosses a star studded sci fi epic so of course the media is going to jump,all over that. In the end Edge may make it to about $75 million domestic while Fault In Our Stars, which is massively front loaded, I predict will drop drastically next weekend and end up with about $100 million. I can't wait to watch this over and over on 3D blu too. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
schan1269 said:
I wonder who gets the blame...Tom or Emily...
While neither should, of course Tom will get most of it since he is the star of the film. Or maybe the film just came out at the wrong time, or the public just didn't want to see this type of film. Who knows?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
Well to be fair it's not often that a chick flick out grosses a star studded sci fi epic so of course the media is going to jump,all over that.
I like to consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about movies but I didn't even know what The Fault In Our Stars was until about two weeks ago. I kept seeing news stories for a movie called The Fault In Our Stars (which is a cool sounding title) but I had no clue that that was the tween melodrama that had an ugly chick with an oxygen tank and the weirdly fem looking guy that I had seen trailers for a few months ago.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wouldn't call shailene woodley ugly. Kinda hot actually.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I went to see this last night. I thought the film was pretty decent right up until about the last fifteen minutes or so. The ending really pulled it down. I almost felt as annoyed at the ending of this film as I did at the ending of "Aliens". Not quite, but pretty close.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
In Dallas for 2 days & took in a 3D IMAX viewing. Wow. I LOVED it. Was so much more immersive seeing on a big big screen even though the amc northpark has fake IMAX [emoji41]Audio was fantastic & I enjoyed the score too. Not a big fan of 3D but this was well done. Edge of Tomorrow is my favorite film of the year so far. Cap America 2 is close..,I caught more nuances & felt the connection Cage & Rita had. I was pulled in more. This one I will most definitely own on Blu-ray. [emoji41]

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
TravisR said:
I like to consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about movies but I didn't even know what The Fault In Our Stars was until about two weeks ago. I kept seeing news stories for a movie called The Fault In Our Stars (which is a cool sounding title) but I had no clue that that was the tween melodrama that had an ugly chick with an oxygen tank and the weirdly fem looking guy that I had seen trailers for a few months ago.
I hadn't really heard of it either, but about three months ago, I happened to be guest-speaking at a middle school (a 7th grade teacher there is a good friend of mine), and it seemed like literally every other female student there was clutching a copy of Fault, either in hardcover or paperback, I noticed (well, that, or Mockingjay).

I'm not shocked that the movie version of Fault was so damn out-of-nowhere-huge, with that tweenybopper "must-see" factor in play. That said, Edge of Tomorrow was incredible, and deserved a far bigger opening than it got, on a different weekend.

Those middle-schoolers will crush you every time.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Another solid film from Tom. Action, humor, a bit of drama, sci-fi, aliens... Too bad that Paxton (welcome back!) and his "gang" were eventually underused in the film, especially in the final leg of the film. 20 additional minutes with the "gang" and I would've been happier.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't have much interest in this movie but I'm glad I listened to the word of mouth here and the reviews because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Maybe it's a little convenient at the end that
just as he's on the verge of figuring it all out, he gets blood and can't keep coming back
but I can let it slide for the sake of upping the stakes.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I loved it. Big and dumb in all the right places, the script was smart in the important ones and I think the plot holes actually get you thinking deeper. I wasn't familioar with Emily Blunt before this but she kicked ass!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Bobby Henderson said:
I was more impressed by this movie on the technical end. The visuals were great. The sound mix was great. We watched it on the Cine Capri screen at Harkins Theaters Bricktown 16 in downtown Oklahoma City. The movie was shown in 2D, but with Dolby Atmos. This is the best mix I've heard in Dolby Atmos since Gravity. The sound designers worked their butts off on this one. There's a lot of stuff in the Atmos mix you simply will not hear in terms of sound panning, sound positioning and overall audio environmental layering like you would in Dolby Atmos. Conventional 5.1/7.1 stinks compared to this. And Auro 11.1 hasn't got anything on Atmos either. IMAX really needs to step up their game in terms of sound; their 2 speaker cabinet surround sound approach is downright laughable compared to Atmos and it doesn't even measure up to Auro 11.1, which is merely an elaboration on conventional 5.1 audio.I too will be disappointed if this movie doesn't do well at the box office. Despite some nit picks in the story line it's still a good, entertaining movie. It's not the slightest bit boring at all. I liked this movie a lot more than Godzilla or Spiderman 2.
When did the Cine-Capri get Dolby Atmos? Some how, I missed this and didn't know until your post. I've always wanted to check out Atmos, but didn't think we had it available anywhere nearby. Fortunately, I saw your post before it was bumped for How to Train Your Dragon 2 so I was able to see it last Thursday. The Atmos mix wasn't as showy as I was expecting, but it is very immersive. I'll definitely check it out again. This was my second time seeing the movie and I thought it held up well. I had friends rave about the 3D experience of this movie, but having seen it in both IMAX 3D and now a large 2D presentation, I enjoyed it more in 2D. Some of that may be due to the fact I was having some eye irritation for the 3D showing. I'd just say if you like 3D, you'll probably enjoy it it 3D and if you prefer 2D, it's good there as well. Fortunately, I saw your post

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Very cool movie - probably my favorite movie of the year so far.

The ending didn't bother me, I was more bothered by the fact that
nobody seemed to recognize Cage.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Mark Booth said:
Addressing your concern in your first spoiler:

My take is that by the time Cruise gets attacked on the bridge by the Mimics, it is much later in the day. At that point, the attack on the beach in France has already failed and the Mimics have crossed the channel to attack Britain. So, yes, by then the United forces would have figured out it was all a trap, but by the time they figured it out it was too late. The ships you see taking off isn't the force that is going to invade France, it's additional forces kept behind to defend Britain.
Regarding that scene:

That is definitely the case. Cage even makes a comment that he's "usually dead by now" just prior to the attack on London, which would place that attack well after the beach landing.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I just saw this and thought it was really good. It's a shame it hasn't had a great take at the box office. Marvel Studios should do whatever it takes to bring Emily Blunt into the fold. She's definitely leading woman material.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Sean, it actually did really well in it's 2nd week due to strong word of mouth. But it still won't be a big hit :( It's a shame.

Emily Blunt would be awesome~ ;)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It is doing very well in the international box office which is probably what they intended it to do in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks