What's new

Eddie Murphy's career over with? (1 Viewer)

DanHaya

Second Unit
Jake, I'd go see a Beverly Hills Cop 4 on the opening day if I thought it would be a good movie...and I don't think that I am alone in that opinion. I agree with you that BHC3 sucked, but I happen to like the second one more than the first one.

I suspect that Murphy hasn't been able to come up with a good enough story and that it's probably a dead project now, but it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Well. He is already making his next movie which is coming out in November. Called "I SPY" with the guy from "Behind Enemy Lines". The one with the wierd nose.
I spy an empty theater when that rolls around. Dunno what Owen Wilson was thinking to get in that.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The trailer for I Spy has not played well in the audiences I've been in.
It's hard to believe how quickly Owen Wilson has gotten big money film lead status. I mean it's not that long ago he and Wes Anderson were doing Bottle Rocket. Now Owen is huge, Luke is getting there and Wes is filling his films with major talent (RT's cast I mean).
What made Delirious and Raw funny was not the raunch, which is exactly what Eddie pointed out in Raw. But I fear that in his effort to run from raunch he instead running away from some of his comedic instincts. I always thought he was very insightful which made his comedy so strong. He could see people's weaknesses and flaws and have fun with them, yet not in a mean spirited way. That made him very likeable as a comedy star.
In some ways he did seem a bit meaner in Nutty Prof (2 mainly) and yet at other times he was his old self in making fun of the Clumps in that likeable way.
Shrek was really close to classic Murphy I think.

Eric F

Screenwriter
What is ironic about Eddie getting the lead in I SPY is that Cosby went off about comedians being "foul mouthed" and how much harder it is to be "clean" and Eddie Murphy was one of the folks he mentioned.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Yeah, I've heard that Cosby will not even work with comedians who use profanity in their acts. He's actually cancelled appearances at charity events because of this! And he's gotten worse about it since his son was killed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Several years ago, I remember listening to a concert tape with Murphy telling a story how Cosby gave him some advice about not using profanity in his act and his imitation of Cosby was dead on. It was quite funny!

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks