What's new

Ed: Might Be Hope Just Yet (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
According to a report on AICN Coaxial, Ed might be coming back for a 4th season after all.

IF the show comes back, I'd like to see the writers planning the season out. Not in detail, but to have a basic idea of where the plots are going and what they want to do with the characters. I'd also like to see the show end after season 4, or at the latest, season 5.

For once, I want a show that is strong go out completely at the top of its game. I DO think there is humor and drama to be wrung from Carol and Ed finally being together, but it's going to change the show. One or two seasons is good enough without having to resort to a lot of Sam-and-Diane antics.

Just my own opinion, of course...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So, will we soon see retractions from the folks who claimed NBC was trying to kill Ed by putting it on Friday night?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I loved Ed, but it should not come back.

Ed was a romance. In a romance, the guy gets the girl. When the guy gets the girl it is time for the credits to roll and the house lights to come up and the audience to file out.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I would take another year of Ed and the quality writing of that show, over Fear Factor 2 anyday, which is what NBC may put in its place. Quality TV is hard to find and hopefully the life of Ed will continue.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I hope that Ed will return for a fourth season. I, also hope that this past season's final episode was not their "Shark-jumping" moment. Remember what happened to Moonighting after the two main characters went to bed together.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
What can you do after Ed and Carol get together. The whole story of the show is Ed chasing Carol. Trust me I would love to see another season of Ed this is one of my favorite shows on TV. I just dont know what they could possibly do with the characters besides mess with there situation and do make up brake up the year which would piss me off. With all that aside, How could this show be going away!

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
What about the many shows where the couples are already together and did it kill Friends with Monica and Chandler?, What about the Bob Newhart Shows, Dick Van Dyke Show, etc? Especially both Newharts where it closely resembles Ed's style in quirkiness and comedy. These comedic shows succeeded on a couple format. Why does everyone think this well written, smartly thought out show would nosedive now that they satisified the public's appetite with the ending of this chase. I think the opposite has happened, and many viewers were turned off last year when they did not get them together earlier. Now they may have another chance to create a 2nd life for this series.

I know the couple demise has happened before in Cheers and Moonlighting but you could argue those shows were running out of gas anyway. In fact, it probably helped Cheers achieve new life as they ditched SLong for the better and gave the show new focus for 5 more years.

I would expect the writers of Ed to continue with more of the same wit, and continue to build up some of the supporting storylines even more. Warren Cheswick in College, Molly and her new Beau, Carol starts a new career, Ed's law practice continues, and now we get to see Carol and Ed in action finally. Screw the romanace of ending the show on that high romantic note, lets see them in action in forging there new relationship and continue this quality show. There are so few of them to let them bow out. This show has not jumped the shark.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
What about the many shows where the couples are already together and did it kill Friends with Monica and Chandler?
Freinds is not soley based on Chandler chasing after his long lost love. The only potential nosedive is that the producers have built a show on the guy getting the girl and now he has her and that angle is gone. Thats a big part of the show to lose. I agree with you, they have lots to go on. Personally I liked the shows that didnt consist of the Ed and Carol saga and just dealt with everyday life and Ed in court. Ed has not even come close to jumping the shark.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I, also hope that this past season's final episode was not their "Shark-jumping" moment.
If "Ed" is not renewed, then the season finale was the perfect ending. If "Ed" is renewed, then that moment represents a challenge to the writers - to reinvent the show around the new Carol/Ed relationship (and no, breaking them up in the 1st new episode is NOT the way to do it).

One thing is for sure - in its first two seasons, "Ed" was a good show. This past year, "Ed" became a great show. The finale was the capper to a stellar season. No matter what happens, it is NOT a "shark-jumping" moment.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
What about the many shows where the couples are already together and did it kill Friends with Monica and Chandler?,
For me, that is a baaaaad example. Friends' writers were able to wring some humor out of the "Mondler" relationship when it was secret, but the characters have lost a LOT of their likability since then, IMNSHO. Chandler seems to be a defanged, spineless schlub and Monica has become a shrieking harridan. A better example from Friends would be the second half of Season 2 and the early part of Season 3 - Ross and Rachel were together, and the writers rose to the challenge and were able to use humor and conflict (before breaking them up) to forward the show.

I think the writers of Ed are up to this challenge. As others have noted, they've carefully built a world with characters that deserve stories of their own. And I think there is a lot of humor, conflict and growth to be derived from Ed and Carol finally being together WITHOUT having to break them up. I would like to see the show go only a year or two longer, with the writers doing a high-level mapping out of plots and character destinies. 4-5 seasons of high quality writing, acting and comedy is no mean feat, and if Ed could go out on that high note, that would be awesome.

However, as others have noted, if the show is indeed over, it has already gone out on top. NBC at least gave the show three years to grow and find itself, which is a lot more than other shows have received.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
AICN has a piece up saying that today's "Hollywood Reporter" reports that "Ed" has indeed been renewed!! :D The official announcement of NBC's fall schedule is this afternoon.

In addition, NBC has also renewed its outstanding freshman series "Boomtown", and is moving it to Friday at 10/9. Assuming they leave "Ed" in the 9/8 slot it moved to for the final 3 episodes of this season, NBC has a one/two punch that could make Friday a "must-see TV" night for the first time since "The X-Files" hit the airwaves a decade ago. :emoji_thumbsup:

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Today's Washington Post is reporting that Ed has been indeed renewed.

NBC will today unveil a fall schedule that includes one last stab at producing the next "Friends," the return of on-the-bubble series "Ed," and only one reality series -- and there's speculation the network may even add at least one new sitcom that's set in New York City and stars an actual black person.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Here's to hoping they don't get jittery and break Ed and Carol up right off the bat (or ever, even). I'd like to see the writers challenge themselves by exploring the relationship now that it's explicitly romantic, and see where it goes.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Here's to hoping they don't get jittery and break Ed and Carol up right off the bat (or ever, even). I'd like to see the writers challenge themselves by exploring the relationship now that it's explicitly romantic, and see where it goes.
Amen. What makes "Ed" special is its combination of quirkiness and good-naturedness. I don't see why having Ed and Carol together has to change any of that. Aside from the Ed lucid dreaming episode, the most memorable moments in the show had little, if anything, to do with Ed and Carol's relationship. On the contrary, it was the episodes that attempted to deal with it -- by finding another contrivance to keep them apart -- that annoyed me and other people.

Ed and Carol are pretty damaged people who, hopefully, can find a certain healing in each other. I think there's potential there, for both drama and comedy.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
What's sort of interesting is that Ed will be back on Wednesday nights in the 8 p.m. timeslot (followed up The West Wing and Law & Order).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks