1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ed - 3/28/03

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Maybe it was just me, but, DAMN! Carol looked great after she took off her knight's helmet! Whoa!

Frankie and Ed are now starting to annoy me.

Chris Isaak's appearance wasn't all that special.

Mike's foray into sexual self-help (err, should I rephrase that) was funny.

Helping Eli get back on his feet (at least metaphorically) was a good subplot.

It's actually kinda amazing how much they packed into one episode of Ed.

2. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Well-Known Member

I was totally expecting Frankie after the "I can be romantic too" notes. Sorry Carol, you're too late.

3. Don Black

Don Black Well-Known Member

The Carol revelation was a complete shocker. I'm predicting that Ed dumps Frankie and the Season 4 is all about Ed/Carol.

4. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Well-Known Member

5. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Well-Known Member

I agree - an extraordinarily strong episode for Ed. Great writing, acting, delivery, everything.

Eli's subplot was especially touching, knowing the Daryl is a paraplegic in real life. I thought showing him getting dressed was a brave move for the show and the network - a difficult reality most of us with working limbs take for granted. I also really liked the scene with Ed and Eli at night in the bowling alley.

Julie Bowen's performance in the episode was fantastic. It was the first time in a long while I was basically rooting for Carol. She was able to convey longing, regret and desire without being cartoonish. The conversation with Molly was so well done.

Ed and Frankie - hard to know what to say. They are such a good couple together. Incredible chemistry, similar without being clones of each other. Except - to paraphrase Ross from "Friends" Season Two - Frankie's not Carol.

I thought Mike and Nancy's subplot was very funny, but it felt cut off. I suspect there was more that ended up being cut to fit into the time alloted. The Josh Randall does so much with a little - his delivery, expressions and body language are great comedy weapons.

I also thought Carol looked stunning after taking off the helm. But I've thought she's been looking very tasty ever since she's been letting her hair grow long.

6. KerryK

KerryK Well-Known Member

I agree about Chris Isaak, but if it did anything for the ratings, then go Ed! [​IMG]

7. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Well-Known Member

I thought it was a fitting plot twist for Carol to finally be interested in Ed.....

Ed had always liked Carol, but he didn't despair until she hooked up with Dennis. When Ed broke them up, Carol was angry and resentful.

Carol has reached that state of despair now that Ed is happy with someone else. Now it is Ed's turn to be angry and resentful (for about 1 episode, if you ask me).

Usually series take a nose-dive after the two leads have hooked up, but I for one think that Ed could work brilliantly with Ed and Carol as a couple. It has the characters and writing to flourish without the constant Ed/Carol tease. All I can say is that I hope there is a season 4!!

What do you think?

8. Lee-M

Lee-M Well-Known Member

This show is the only one I take the time to watch and enjoy consistently; if it tanks, I'm going to have to start watching West Wing or something; in other words, I REALLY hope there is a Season 4.

9. Roberto Carlo

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

[​IMG]

:b

11. Jack_Geo

Jack_Geo Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused about the notes that were strategically placed in the bowling alley.

My thinking is that they were, in fact, left by Frankie...based upon the scenes from next week where Ed comes home to find her amid candles and such.

Carol being in the armor had nothing to do with the notes...except perhaps to confuse Ed even more.

Am I way off here?

12. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Well-Known Member

13. Michael Martin

Patrick, thank you, thank you, thank you. [​IMG]

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

That's how audience expectation was built up and to have Carol show up in the Knight's suit out of the blue was the twist to set up more romantic tension within this love triangle.

15. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Well-Known Member

Finally got to see the episode.

Great episde. Interesting to see what they do with 2 shows left. I'm also really hoping for a S4.

A friend of mine saw Julie Bowen's interview on Carson's Last Call:
    Carson asked if they were ever gonna hook up.
    She says yes

16. Roberto Carlo

Thank you, Michael. :b

I'm not big on TV shows on DVD, mostly because I'm not big on re-runs. But "Ed" works on so many levels that it stands up to repeated viewing. (That and it's filmed in Ridgewood, NJ, a town I know very well.)

Now it's Carol's turn to "come home." While, unlike her sister, she never left Stuckeyville, she's been looking to outsiders like that idiotic writer Nick in the first season -- at least I think he wasn't from there, certainly not culturally -- and Dennis to give her what a guy she's known most of her life has offered. While it was unnecessary to cast Chris Issak as the new teacher, he did fit the type that Carol would normally go for -- only this time she didn't.

I spend way too much time thinking about this, don't I.
    [​IMG]

17. Michael Martin

18. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Well-Known Member

Rob
    "Please drop your pants and open your workbook to page 13." [​IMG][​IMG]

Great episode (and I hope we see more of Kathleen Miccio as Dorene -- wow!!).

Rob

19. Hunter P

Hunter P Well-Known Member

I'm crying. I keep missing some important episodes. I missed the wedding episode and now this. I did catch the last five minutes though. Damn I can't wait for summer reruns or the DVD's. But I'm sure that NBC will preempt the reruns for special showings of Jurassic Park or Titanic or something.

Oh, woe is me.[​IMG]

20. Thi Them

Thi Them Well-Known Member