What's new

ecost.com any good? (1 Viewer)

Rob E

Grip
I wish i would have seen this feedback section yesterday, i just bought a HK avr-125 from ecost and found out they are not a authorized dealer. Anyboby have opinions on this internet retailer?

Salyers

Auditioning
The same thing happened to me, I purchased a Harman Kardan AVR-225 from them and despite the fact that their web-site clearly says they are an authorized HK dealer. Harman Kardan says they are not! Sadly I found this out after contacting HK themselves because my right surround channel is not working. I'm going to try and get it repaired because ecost will not allow returns on HK merchandise. I knew this before I purchased but I thought it wouldn't be a problem because I would have the 2 year HK warranty... Not so. The HK rep suggested I take it to an authorized repair center and perhaps they would repair it under warranty anyway...

Crossing my fingers...

Stay away from ecost, they are deliberately deceptive.

James-

Salyers

Auditioning
Here's an update on my experience with ecost. I called an authorized Harman Kardon repair center today and told them I had purchased my receiver from ecost who advertised themselves as an HK authorized dealer. They suggested I mail them my receiver with a bill of sale and description of the problem. Once they received it they would check Harman Kardon's web-site to see if ecost was listed as an authorized distributor (they are not) if they weren't I'd be liable for the complete cost of the repairs. I knew that wouldn't work and I was preparing to accept the expense as a lesson well learned when I decided to call ecost and gripe.

I realize this would normally be the first step in handling a defective receiver but ecost's web-site specifically says that HK receivers are not returnable and that they must be repaired through the HK warranty. I spoke with their customer service and to my surprise they offered to replace the AVR-225 and ship it the same day if I allowed them to debit my credit card again... I thought about it for a minute and went ahead. So I now have a second AVR-225 in the mail and am waiting on the RMA# for the first. So far so good, except for the fact that HK won't honor my warranty...

So while I had the service rep on the phone I quizzed her about the HK authorized logo on their web-site. Twice she insisted that they were authorized, however each time she would insist on this I repeated that HK's customer service says they are NOT. Finally after talking with her manager for a third time she admitted that they are not an authorized seller but that their distributor is and that any warranty claims for the next year would need to be handled through ecost. She then proceeded to detail the terms in general English (meaning without offering me a link to a legal document on their web-site). She was convincing enough to make me think maybe this will all work out for the best. Only time will tell...

If you've read this far, here is my advice for you. Buy your HK products from an authorized dealer for your own sense of security. I might still buy from ecost, depending on how this works out, but I will research everything they claim.

Caveat Emptor

James-

Salyers

Auditioning
I returned my HK 225 to ecost and got a full refund. I still have to go through them for future repairs but... I wanted to save as much as possible. I can recommend them if you're brave enoough to deal with them for your repairs. If not then you need to buy elsewhere.

James-

Andre D

Stunt Coordinator
I personally will never buy from them again. I bought a Game Boy Advance SP in November as a Christmas present for my neice. The unit works fine and everything and she loves it, but upon close examination by myself, I noticed it had a scratch on the cover that's about half an inch. I don't know if it was used or refurbished, but I do know that it can't be returned because I purchased it over a month ago (I do my Christmas shopping early).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks