What's new

eBay tells me Ultraviolet = Copyright Infringement (1 Viewer)

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
So I just tried to list an Ultraviolet code for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL on eBay. I have no use for it, so instead of it just expiring I figured I'd let someone else have it.
eBay removed the listing, telling me it was copyright infringement. Now, let's ignore the fact that not only have I sold Ultraviolet codes there before, but there are a million (not literally) other listings for Ultraviolet codes up there right now.
I even called their customer support line, only to have a lady read and reread the email to me over the phone.
Is there some eBay policy I'm not aware of that specifically states this? Or, more likely, did someone just make a decision without knowing what they were actually talking about? If there is a policy, why is it being selectively enforced?
Anyone else have any problems like this?

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Haha, I know, right?
What year does eBay think it is? As the purchasing of digital goods gets more and more widespread, I can see this becoming a bigger issue. But evidently Tuesday is just "annoy Steve" day.
What really annoyed me was the lady's insistence that eBay can't be wrong. I tried to trip her up, too, but circular logic only works on people who follow logic to begin with. I kept asking "Is it copyright infringement if I sell a blu-ray disc?" and she said "No", so I said "Then how is this different, exactly?" and she said "It's copyright infringement."

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
If only one person uses the digital copy, how is it copyright infringement? I'd be willing to buy it if you still want to sell it.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
That's my thought, too. It's clearly a case of whoever made the initial decision not understanding what it was, and the woman on the phone being equally clueless. Only one person CAN use the code - it's not possible for anyone else to.
As far as buying it goes, I'm afraid you're a bit too late :) I was defiant and I relisted it mainly to see what would happen and to throw an even bigger fit when my account got suspended, but someone "Bought it Now" before eBay could catch me. If something falls through with that person, though, I'll let you know.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by MattAlbie60 /t/320097/ebay-tells-me-ultraviolet-copyright-infringement#post_3917401
So I just tried to list an Ultraviolet code for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL on eBay. I have no use for it, so instead of it just expiring I figured I'd let someone else have it.
eBay removed the listing, telling me it was copyright infringement. Now, let's ignore the fact that not only have I sold Ultraviolet codes there before, but there are a million (not literally) other listings for Ultraviolet codes up there right now.
I even called their customer support line, only to have a lady read and reread the email to me over the phone.
Is there some eBay policy I'm not aware of that specifically states this? Or, more likely, did someone just make a decision without knowing what they were actually talking about? If there is a policy, why is it being selectively enforced?
Anyone else have any problems like this?
Try Craigslist.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Oh I will from now on, but that's not the point. The point is that eBay is making judgements based on a gross misunderstanding of both technology and law. And Ultraviolet is now even more worthless to me than it was before if the biggest online auction house on the planet thinks it's illegal, even when it's not :)

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I agree about UV being "even more worthless".
I haven't tried this service called ReDegi, but it allows you to buy and sell used digital copies.
Maybe you can try there.
This Yahoo article from February details ReDigi's court victory after EMI tried suing them.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/redigi-wins-major-victory-court-230300838.html
The reselling of digital copies warrants more discussion here. What do you all think? Anyone tried this service?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's a brave new world, the consumer's loss of the right of first sale has not been compensated in the digital realm so anything that swings it back into our favor is a plus in my book. I don't have faith that it will happen but we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks