What's new

EB: Trade 2 DVD's for Lord of the Rings (1 Viewer)

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
I went in yesterday to trade in some DVDs. I brought Beastmaster, Basic Instinct, and Whispers: An Elephant's Tale to trade.

They wouldn't take Beastmaster because it wasn't in their system. However, they took the other two.

It's a great deal and I, too, am curious as to what EB is going to do with all of those cheesy DVDs.

Robert--I checked with the salesperson in the Ontario Mills, California EB and he said that EB was only ordering the widescreen version of the DVD. Hope that puts your mind at ease.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I wanted to do this deal at my local EB, but the only FOTR in their system was the Fullscreen version. :angry:
So I purchased it like countless others have. :)
-Dean-

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
EvanB,
I asked about that, they said that I can pick it up anytime after it releases. I'll be making a trip on the 6th though. :)
JKS

EvanB

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the info jeremy. anyone know if eb has stores in colorado? denver or boulder?

EvanB

Stunt Coordinator
it looks like i answered my own question guys. they have a store in broomfield, co. can i take my receipt that i got from the ebx at mall of america and get my lord of the rings in broomfield? thanks guys and gals!

MarcD

Auditioning
Just wanted to let Canadians know that this deal is also happening at Electronics Boutiques stores in Canada. I traded in Speed (I now have the SE) and ST:IV I got for free (there'll be an SE next year). They both scanned in at $5 which is the price they would normally pay (I think). Their values was then adjusted to add to the total LOTR price. They'll try to sell the used DVD's for $20 each. Here in Canada that's $5 more than EB's price for LOTR.
It would be great if EB will do this again....:D
Later,
MarcD
Oh I should mention that EB (my local one anyway) will carry only the widescreen version.

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Marc, I was wondering if EB in Canada had the same deal. I'm going to try this afternoon. Bad thing is the movies I want to get rid of have no UPC code and it sounds like they have to scan them into their system so I have to find some others to bring just in case.

Mike

MarcD

Auditioning
Mike,
Do bring other DVD's with bar codes just in case. I too have dvd's with no barcode. Let me know if they do take them tho.

Good luck,
MarcD

RafaelB

Second Unit
Their database is also keyboard-driven.
From when I turned mine in (old versions of Terminator & Boogie Nights), they had to type in to search for The Terminator (luckily they gave me the price on the Special Edition, since the other one was no longer in the database). ;)
Rafael

MikeH

Stunt Coordinator
Quick update: They wouldn't take the no UPC DVD's and the first two DVD's I gave them wouldn't scan but eventually found two that would.

Thanks for posting this deal!!!

Mike

Mark Richter

Stunt Coordinator
Geez I must be special
They took my kids 2 Pokemon dvds(of which if I heard Pikachu 1 MORE time........)
Got it reserved for tuesday

Thank you for the GREAT info ppl

Michael Fennessy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Fennessy
My local EB would not do the deal until the day it is released. they said that no one had taken advantage of it yet but I could reserve for $5 and trade my DVD's in on the 6th. So I gave my $5 and get to keep the DVD's until tuesday. He DID pull out Fellowship to scan it in though, so I know they have them. I even held it just to look at it closer. I shoulda just taken it and ran :)
Mike

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
My local EB would not do the deal until the day it is released. they said that no one had taken advantage of it yet but I could reserve for $5 and trade my DVD's in on the 6th.
One of the EB's in my area said the same thing! So I called another one and they said that they'd do the voucher. Needless to say, I traded in Hollow Man (promo)and Swordfish.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
My closest EB affilitate (actually called Stop-N-Save) said that they are not accepting DVDs early for vouchers but will do the trades on Tuesday. They confirmed that they only ordered the widescreen version. I am planning on trading my Goodfellas flipper and Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm in!
There was absolutely NO signage in two of my local EBs telling about this deal. I asked one of the clerks if many people were taking advantage of the deal. He said, just a few.
I traded in my non-SE of Groundhog Day and my non-SE of Disney's Peter Pan. They would NOT take my copy of "The Wild - The Ultimate Safari" (Madacy). :frowning:
And, he assured me they would only be getting in Widescreen versions of LOTR! :D
Thanks everybody (especially Travis) for sharing this info!
P.S. Picked up a previously viewed copy of Saving Private Ryan (dts) for just $14.99 while I was there, too! :D Bet the amount of their previously-viewed DVDs is about to shoot through the roof! IF...enough people hear about the LOTR deal!

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
you guys are lucky. the idiot at my local EB said that they are no longer doing the promotion since the movie came out last week. I told him to check his dates again b/c the movie doesn't hit the stores til the 6th of August. He checked and came back and told me that it did come out last week. What an idiot. I felt like cussing him out on the phone. :angry:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Chris Matson, do NOT trade your Meaning of Life to EB!
It's OOP and highly desired, hock it on Ebay and you'll have enough for the 5 disc in November :)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Thanks to Jeff for pointing that out. I already received one request to purchase the DVD from a fellow HTF member. But now I am thinking about keeping it. I had no idea it was so rare! I just did some internet searching and can't find it anywhere. I was thinking about trading it in because I assume that there will be a special edition coming out sometime soon. Maybe just ignorance, but the DVD quality isn't that great. I found it at a local Target about a year ago for either $9.99 or $14.99. Yeah, I think I’ll be keeping this one for now!
Here is one on Ebay:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...tem=1552614727

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
Traded in my copies of Pi and Rising Sun. I think that this is about the only way I can justify getting both copies of LOTR to my wife :D

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Even though I wasn't so hot about this title and wasn't planning on getting it to begin with, there were two other titles in my collection that I felt will not see the inside of my DVD player. So, I went ahead and took advantage of this deal. :)
~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks