What's new

Easter Parade Not a Two-Disc Set (1 Viewer)

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently received my review copy of Easter Parade and contrary to the press announcement, it is a single disc only. Missing from the originally announced supplements are the Judy Garland documentary and the Garland trailer gallery. All other items appear to be intact. Was there a correction announcement on this release that I missed?

Barrie

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Of the various retail sites I have only seen the 2-disc edition listed:

Some times with multiple disc editions, studios release only the disc with the film for pre-release reviews. Also it may depend on who is receiving the DVD for review.

Did your copy come with the official DVD packaging, and if so what does it say on the front and back cover?

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Just watched my crummy VHS copy of this again last night. Can't wait to get this DVD, and I really, REALLY hope it's the promised two-disc-er, with the doc and trailers intact!!!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Barrie... hope all is well...?

I'm not sure what they sent you but the screener I received was indeed the Two Disc SE. The Trailer Gallery is on disc one, while the Garland documentary, "American Masters: Judy Garland - By Myself" is on disc two and runs 1:56:05.

BTW, I just finished watching The Band Wagon this afternoon and it is amazing. Fans are going to be quite pleased - hope to have the review up by tomorrow. Sorry for the delay on these but they were only delivered here on Thursday.

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if this is a Canada/US issue. I know you get your discs from the US, Herb. Mine came from Warner Canada and is a final product with all appropriate packaging etc. It's simply one disc as I described in my first post. Perhaps there is a rights problem with the Garland documentary for Canada. I've asked Warner Canada about this and will let you know what I hear.

Barrie

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Barrie... that might be it. Amazon.CA lists two versions with the Two Disc SE being an "import"....

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
DVD Soon also lists Easter Paeade as a one disc set, which sucks as I have the box set on pre-order at $35 cdn, and the Judy Garland documentary was one of the bonuses I was really looking forward to.

how do we confirm that Canada is getting screwed due to rights? I'm currently missing out on the Classic Comedy collection, and my heart well break if I have to miss out on the upcoming Controversial set. I know I can import them , but they are twice as much as they would otherwise be, and the value of the set's (in Canada, they boxests are typically the price of 2 2 disc SE's) is key to buying films that are pretty much blind buys.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Have you tried ordering from amazon.com? With the U.S. dollar the way it is, stuff from the U.S. doesn't cost much more than it would in Canada (sometimes less, actually).

Then again, I ordered the Classic Comedies Collection and I still haven't got it. But, unbearable though the waiting is, I guess I'll be ordering the Musicals collection from the U.S. too.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've just cancelled my order with dvdsoon until this is cleared up one way or the other, though I rather think I know what the answer will be.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Anyone hear anything concrete about the Canada situation? I emailed Warners, but have not heard anything. I'm going to have to follow John pretty soon and cancel my DVDsoon pre-order, but I want to hold off, as I had an extra discount on this set that I can't get if I can re-order it from them.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I got an email back from WArners, but it was jsut a form letter saying they couldn't tell me anything about this.:angry:

DVD Soon still has the boxset up for preorder, but with no description of the contents. DVDSOOn also has Easter Parade listed seperatly as a one disc set. Amazon.CA lists Easter Parade as a 2 disc set in import only, and the one disc set as the standard for Canada. they List the Box set as import only, with no Canadian version. This leads me to beleive that the Broadway to Hollywood set well be unavailable in Canada, similar to the Classic comedies Collection. I suspect that DVDsoon well probably not ship it at all. I'm going to keep my pre-order up in hopes that they do in fact get it and it ships complete like the US version. If it comes with a single disc Easter Paade, I well return it for credit.

No one has heard anything different than my speculation, have they?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

This is the Canadian version at Amazon.ca; unfortunately there are no product details, though the ASIN no. is different to their 'import' version.

As for returning your set to dvdsoon, among their T&Cs they do state that will not accept even an incorrect description on their site as a reason for return, and the 'Musicals. set doesn't even have a full description! I'd be quite wary...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
crap! I missed that! Well, if I hear nothing official today than I'm cancelling it.

I was got n in at a B&M that I could return this too for credit, so I wasn't too conserned about returning it. DVDsoon, well priced great, has a rediculous customer service policy. I notified them in Dec about a description error on a product I recieved, and they refused any compensation and have yet to update their site on the product.

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit
The problem is that Amazon.ca will often send the Canadian edition instead of the pre-ordered U.S. import just before it's ready to ship. The import versions usually disappear from their site, and merged with the Canadian ASIN #.:angry:

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
I was in C&L today and they had all the box set films in, but no box set. Easter Parade was a one disc affair. So, this is the second box set as canadians we get screwed on.

Guess I have little choice but to try amazon and hope for the best. There's not going to be a canadianized version of these box sets, so either we'll get the US box set or we won't.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
This sucks. I'm in Australia, yet I buy (a lot) from DVDSoon. I just don't understand why Warner perceive the Canadian market as being so different that they haven't released either the Classic Comedies or (it looks like) the musicals boxes.

I only really pre-ordered the box because I wanted The Band Wagon and Finnians Rainbow, the other titles were blind buys. But it worked out better to just get the box that the individual titles. Yet if it works out that DVDSoon don't have the box, then I doubt I will buy those two titles individually at their current prices. Band wagon and Finians Rainbow are now about AUD$23.50 each, I pre-ordered the box for about AUD$39, I was more that willing to pay that much for the box because it would provide me with a couple of other films. Even if I only watched them once, it adds value.

So based on this stupid policy Warner have potentially lost a sale, when I thought the whole idea of the boxes was to provide excellent value in order to promote big sales.

I wish DVDSoon would start importing Warner boxes from the U.S. :-(

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Over the past year, my favorite purchases have been these Warner classic set's that I have been blind buying at incredible value. It is heart breaking to find that in order to get them, I would now have to import them at a cost that negates all value. Classic comedies is completly unavailable in Canada, Broadway To Hollywood is going to be missing a documentary, and seeing as Amazon.CA is listing it as an import, and DVDsoon isn't offering it at all, I can only guess that the same fate is going to affect the Controversial Classics set as well, with that set being my most anticipated title yet annunced this year.

I still have the pre-orderof Broadway going at DVDSOON, at $35 CDN, it's too much of a deal to pass up,even if it is missing the documentary. If it actually ships, hopefully it well be a 2 disc affair, and if not, I can import the 2 disc version and sell the 1 disc at a better value than importing the whole set.

It's such a giant kick in the nuts to us Canadians who have been supporting and loving Warners classic output last year.
I used to love hearing about these sets, but now I dread their announcments, suspecting yet another issue with the Canadian release. I understand that rights are the reason for this, but we are all Region 1 buyers, I would hope that there would be region 1 clearance for these releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks