What's new

Earthsea on SciFi (1 Viewer)

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really excited for this miniseries, Earthsea, that is going to be on Sci Fi. It's based on Ursula Le Guin's trilogy of novels. It has a strong cast with Danny Glover and Isabella Rossellini. I guess I just want to see who all is into this sort of thing. I hope some of you are as excited as I am.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I'll probably end up watching it, due to the strong cast and the fantasy setting. But my expectations will be very low thanks to the words "Sci Fi Pictures Original".

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm definitely interested in this and, while I know it may not be quite to to a major theatrical standard, it still could be pretty good. I read the books a long time ago... 25+ years now, so I don't remember them that well but they are classics of fantasy and LeGuin is one of the titans of the genre. I wouldn't miss Earthsea for anything.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
I've started rereading the books which I haven't read since I was younger. I am hoping that the series will be faithful to the books, which I think it probably will be. Also, I'm thinking the cast will entice some people. Ckeck out the official site: http://www.scifi.com/earthsea/ What do you all think about it?

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I'm looking foward to it since this is one of my favorite trilogies from my childhood. I don't have high expectations, but the cast looks great so who knows. Hopefully they'll pull it off.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Looks interesting. But I'll watch just to see Kristin Kreuk. :emoji_thumbsup:

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone reread the books at all recently? It's cool how they stand the test of time. Anyways, I agree that the cast is trong, and I doubt the actors would have taken the roles had the script not been any good. And, ah yes, Kristen Kreuk, I would probably watch this just for her as well.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Is this mini-series going to cover all three books or just the first two? It was not clear from the web page.

I reread the books about two years ago and while I enjoyed them, I also found them lacking. Maybe it is just too much Harry Potter but I wanted alot more about the adventures of Ged. He only shows up at the end of "The Tombs of Atuan" and is basically Dumbledorf in the "The Farthest Shore". The books never really give a good sense of him becoming the most powerful wizard in EarthSea since the books do not really cover those adventures. He is much more like Gandalf the Grey guiding others and using little bits of magic to get out of difficult situations.

The trilogy really should have been a collection like the Narnia series, except stick to Ged as the main character.

Chuck Anstey

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure it's based on the trilogy. I think I have something you will like, Chuck. Here's a fansite that seems right up your alley: http://www.gedswizardry.com/. Join the forums in there and see what people have to say about Ged. Anyways, I adore the books and am really looking forward to seeing how they come alive on screen. Do people have high expectations? What are they?

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about the double post here. I just thought I would share the new trailer that I came across. It looks lik the show is gonna be pretty cool. Tell me what you all think: trailer link

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
New trailer is very cool -- thanks for posting that info.

Also -- that fan page is very informative.

I'm looking forward to this -- hope it will be as good as Dune was.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
So far, scifi originals have been fine by me ;) Dune & Children of Dune were good (IMHO) better then a good deal; and Taken was interesting.

I'll see how it plays out, I'll definitely watch.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
If the series is half as good as they are making it look, I am going to be very pleased. It seems like they know what the Earthsea fans are looking for when making these trailers and commercials.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I agree -- it doesn't look like money was an issue with this.

The Dragon footage in the third trailer was amazing...

Can't wait.

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator
Scifi always makes pretty good trailers.

Never read the books. Will prolly check this mini out though.

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, they do always have good trailers. I hadn't really thought about that. I really am looking forward to seeing the words come to life. I think it could be a very cool adaptation of an already classic series.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
I really enjoyed the books and am presently on the second book to get geared up to see this.

So far, so good. I think Kristin Kruek is the perfect choice for Tenar

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks