What's new

Early'06 Fox Cinema Classics Collection & Marquee Musicals (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The newly announced Five weeks in a Balloon, David and Bathsheba and story of Ruth are at the lower price of $14.95, making me wonder if they are in the studio classics series.
My dreamreleases for fox musicals - Best things in life Are Free
April Love.
I would love to see a box set of six or seven of the earliest Alice Faye black and white films from the early thirties.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
What about a PAT BOONE SET
"ALL HANDS ON DECK"
"APRIL LOVE"
"BERNARDINE"
"STATE FAIR" ???

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
At least FOX could have produced 3 more STUDIO CLASSIC EDITIONS so it would round out to 40.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
NEW FACES is a title that seems to have disappeared.
While, story wise it might not be much of a Movie, it has a fabulous and memorable score and great performances.
Eartha Kitt, Robert Clary, Alice Ghostly, Paul Lynde and others plus the zany writings of Mel Brooks.
It was actually the very first Cinemascope film shown at one of my local Cinemas.

There is a horrible, totally unwatchable 4:3 Letterbox/Mono DVD version released by Critics Choice.( yuck! )

I believe it was released on VHS in 4:3 Letterbox some years ago by Key Video, which I think was a Fox subsiduary.

I'm not sure if Fox still own the rights to it, but as it was an early CINEMASCOPE release then a Stereo/Anamorphic DVD would be sensational.

Who could ever forget Lizzie Borden.

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator

Well, as it stands right now, there are a total of 38 Studio Classics, counting the silent unnumbered Sunrise - A Song Of Two Humans. To be fair, I don't believe that this title was ever sold separately. I believe that it may have been available once as a mail-in subscription bonus or something. However, I got my copy as part of a 4-pack that included 3 other Studio Classics titles. The package design and style is the same as the rest of the series, so I would count it.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Has anyone seen any artwork for the rumored Charlie Chan Collection #1 set (supposedly going to be released 3/21)?

Also, has there been any word on future releases of the Lloyd Nolan Michael Shayne series? The "Dressed to Kill" DVD was released almost unnoticed, but was generally praised by those who saw it.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Has anyone received their STORMY WEATHER, ISLAND IN THE SUN, or PINKY DVDs? I look forward to picking them up next week.

If so, any thoughts on their presentation?

Also, was there an insert advertising future releases (a la the Noir and Studio Classics line)?

Steve

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I'm very curious to find out which titles will make the next wave in this collection.
By the way, dvd beaver has reviewed Stormy Weather, Island in the Sun and Pinky.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

The only advertizement is for films starring black actors: Antwone Fisher, Men of Honor, Never Die Alone, Man on Fire.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks to Sean and the others for your responses. Adding the repro lobby cards is a very classy touch. :emoji_thumbsup:

These added touches would help explain the increase in MSRP of these films over the old Studio Classics line.

The lack of a flyer with upcoming titles makes me wonder if Fox is still sorting out their release schedule. I would have thought the marquee musicals would have gotten a mention. It's too bad FOX doesn't do chats anymore. They could get some free (and needed) publicity for these new lines of theirs. I hope it works out for them.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks