What's new

Early'06 Fox Cinema Classics Collection & Marquee Musicals (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I really don't mind the higher prices if it means we will get more Fox collections. That's really amazing news that we will finally have a Fox musical collection. This is the time for Tin Pan Alley, Moon Over Miami, Gang's all here, Hello Frisco Hello, That Night in Rio...and maybe have Margie, Centenniall Summer and Three Little Girls in Blue in dvd!
So, I think that 2006 will see 3 Fox collections, in waves from 3 to 3 months: Cinema Classics, Marquee Musicals and Film Noir.
By the way, wonderful cover art.
Come on people, let's support those news collections! That's the only way for us to get more titles from Fox vaults.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm glad they're switching to neat poster art (like Criterion and Warner) instead of the awful Photoshop Elements Demo covers that everyone else use.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
The prices do seem kind of steep considering there are no supplements on some of the titles. I realize the Warner Classic titles over the past year or so are each $19.98 individully, but they also have been included in Box sets that made the cheaper in the long run.

I'll pass on the Musicals but will Collect the Cinema Classics Series. I have ALL of the Studio Classics and Nor films.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Do we really know they have dropped the studio classics line? Has Fox told us officially anything about these new lines? Great that they finally have a musical series.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I am a huge Astaire fan, and I like Caron well enough, but DLL is a dud. I'll buy it, though, if it will help usher in the release of more Fox musicals.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Fox has to get a little more smart about these musicals.
NONE of them have the original mono - not good.
Fox also has filmed outtake numbers from Weekend in Havana and Pinup Girl - but they have failed to included them here = also not good.

ted:r

Second Unit
I am also curious about the possible dropping of the Fox Classics line. Especially since it seems to put "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" back into limbo land (thought I read it was going to be part of the Fox Classic Releases for February)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I will most certainly be buying all 3 Musicals, although neither Weekend in Havana nor Pin Up Girl represent the best in Fox's Musical Catalogue.
Bad news about the sound.

Titles that I would purchase without a second thought are,
The Best Things In Life Are Free
New Faces
Three Little Girls In Blue
Moon Over Miami
That Night In Rio
My Gal Sal
Hello Frisco Hello
Down Argentine Way
Tin Pan Alley
Centennial Summer
Coney Island
Where Do We Go From Here
Mother Wore Tights
The Shocking Miss Pilgrim
George White's 1935 Scandals.

It looks like it'll probably be a big wait for most of these, so I should have plenty of time to accumalate funds.
Still, who knows?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I'd love seeing all those Fox musicals released on DVD.

I'd buy most of them. Probably almost all of them,

Realistically, they'd be lucky if they could sell 3000 units of most of those titles, and end up with lots of red ink, which won't be looked on too favorably by the bean counters.

Let's get real.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm cuckoo for musicals (even mediocre ones) but honestly, until the 1950s, when it came to musicals Fox was last in line behind MGM, Paramount, RKO, Warners etc. If they are duller or blander actresses than their musical darlings Alice Faye, Betty Grable or June Haver, I've yet to encounter them. MGM had Garland and Kelly, RKO had Astaire and Rogers, Paramount had Crosby and Betty Hutton, Columbia had Rita Hayworth, Warners had Doris Day and even Universal had Deanna Durbin but Fox musicals were a sorry lot.

Daddy Long Legs with all its imperfections still has Astaire and that lovely Johnny Mercer score with songs like "Dream" and "Somethings Gotta Give" and Astaire and Caron doing the "sluefoot" is a delight!

Still, I'll be buying the lot to support the musicals but hopefully Fox will release Can-Can, Best Things In Life Are Free and With A Song In My Heart as part of this collection in the future.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would love With a song in My Heart, but have heard it is held up in endless music rights problems.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
FOX is still producing the NOIR COLLECTION: According to DVD EMPIRE "No Way Out", "Fallen Angel" and "House On Telegraph Hill" will be released March 7th.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
SO, IS THIS THE END OF THE STUDIO CLASSICS LINE ??
AND IT IS SWITCHED TO CINEMA CLASSICS ???
BIZARRE ??

Charles H

Screenwriter
In addition to posting the next wave of Film Noirs for March (NO WAY OUT, FALLEN ANGEL, THE HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL), DVD Planet posted other Fox films for Easter (THE STORY OF RUTH, DAVID AND BATHSHEBA) and family (FIVE WEEKS IN A BALLOON, more Shirley Temple volumes).

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I am shocked, shocked that no one has mentioned the ultimate classic Fox 'backstage' musical The Gang's All Here!!! This title should be at the forefront of forthcoming Fox DVD releases! Busby Berkeley's first Technicolor film was also the last major musical Alice Faye starred in before leaving Fox. And of course, Carmen Miranda and her tutti frutti hat!!! Any musical that ends with a salute to the polka dot is a must-see and a must-own ;)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps if the logo was the only thing they changed, but they have changed the series title, which Fox has been using for many, many years when this series was released on VHS, and completely abandoned the series cover art, which made them easily identifiable as being part of the series. In addition, it appears the new releases wont continue where the Studio Classic numbering system left off, and perhaps wont be numbered at all. It also appears they have increased the MSRP, and they may change the release pattern which previously always averaged out to one title per month. I'd say that's quite a bit more significant than a simple logo change. Of course, all of that is just window dressing, cost, and supply.

The key question remains on how well produced this new series will be, or will we see less attention to detail in regards to both the transfer and features.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor

Charles,I did mentioned it before, and I if you had noticed, the Gang's All here Trailer is one of the extras on the Pin-up Girl dvd. So you can only assume it will be on the second wave of the new Marquee Musicals collection.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The Laserdisc of THE GANG'S ALL HERE looks pretty good so I would probably pass on the DVD of that one.
Of course if the DVD came with a swag of extras, then that's another story. ;)

An Anamorphic/Stereo THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE would really be DVD Heaven to me.
I remember sitting in a balcony seat at the local (near empty) Suburban Cinema and with a large and heavy professional Reel to Reel Tape Recorder sitting on the seat next to me and with the recorder plugged into the hearing aid socket, I recorded the whole movie.(thanks to the approval of the Cinema's Manager)
I later transferred it onto Acetate Discs.
Lots of happy memories and years of enjoyment.

Fingers crossed it will appear amongst the Fox Marquee Musical Collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks