What's new

early user review of Batman Begins (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter

The point is that I just don't get this fascination (obsession?) with looking for that next great "demo disc" or "demo scene" to show off to your mates. It's the "my house is bigger than your house" mentality and it's very silly.

Do you also provide free coffee and cakes while showing off your new toys?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I get what John is saying but I think this is a case where the demo disc is a movie that people actually like so there's even more anticipation. I was completely bored by Batman Begins but I can imagine that the movie's fans are very happy to see that it's getting very favorable reviews in the AV department which is why everyone seems really excited for this disc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just dont understand you john.
how about simply because it's fun to pick select scenes of movies and music just to demonstrate the ability of your system.

you seem to question people's motives and put down their enjoyment.

you think it's silly, maybe we just arent as wise and mature as you.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
I will put it very simply :)

TO BE PART OF HIGH DEFINITION is FASCINATION of PERFECT PICTURE AND AMAZING SOUND ......... and if movie is great, than I AM EXTREMLY HAPPY :)

Marek

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
is Robert Harris silly

"I cannot recommend a piece of home video software more highly. This should be everyone's demo disc.

RAH"

John H Ross

Screenwriter

No, of course Robert Harris isn't silly. But that kind of comment is. Except, of course, that 90% of the reason that early adopters are early adopters is because they're bloody great show-offs. I know, I used to be an early adopter myself, but then I realised that watching a great film on crappy old DVD was a hundred times more satisfying than watching a crappy film on shiny new HD. Sometimes a film comes along that's great both artistically AND technically (such as Batman Begins) but surely such a film is worth more than being simply branded "demo material". Perhaps it IS called growing up, I don't know, I wouldn't want to presume, but it's certainly my view now.

As for posting what I like, well I do - when I feel it's necessary. But my views are far more relevant to the MOVIES and, hence, I tend to post on movie forums. And movie music forums. As far as HT is concerned, I expect studios to put this stuff out properly. It's their jobs. So when they do it's no biggie. But when they don't I tend to get cross. Perhaps I'm just a typical cynical Brit! :) Anyway, I hope that clears things up!

John

John H Ross

Screenwriter

There's no such thing as "perfect". But it's nice to know the quality of the movie is at least reasonably important...

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Of course, first I am amazed by PICTURE and SOUND (well I know it's not perfect ;) but very close ;) and I am working in 3D field (rendering, materials, and compositions) I know how hard is to get as good final result as I can ;))

But to be completly blown away there have to be some spirit, story,......, but from time to time, I need just pure mindless action or advanture...... to be taken to another world :)

I have yet to see Batman Begins in HD, and I am sure, it will have all attributes for me to have AMAZING evening ;)

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Well, I happen to read those short reviews quite differently.

People enjoy the HD DVD very much. They like the excellent (in their OWN eyes) presentation of a film they liked on HD medium. They experience great enjoyment "for their OWN" sake.

And then, to explain to us how good they think it is, they use that well-known (if you like: worn-out) phrase: "demo material".

Perhaps they never demo it in reality. Perhaps they do. What do they care? They just wanted to tell here how much they liked their new purchase.

To act condescending to their joy is uncalled for and misrepresents the message in those posts (IMO).

Cees

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

Of course we do. Isn't that really the whole point of building a HT system? I cannot see any motivation to try and recreate the movie theater experience in the home if one doesn't enjoy movies in the first place. They'd concentrate on 2 channel systems instead, or nothing at all.

Saying a disc is "reference" is to say, "This is the standard that all studios should strive to achieve or exceed when transferring their films to whatever medium is being talked about. This is the reason we built our theaters. This is the reason we bought into (insert format here)."

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I love high quality picture and sound. But the film is the most important thing. For instance, last week I rented the BD of CRASH, a film I had not yet seen. At first, I was a bit disturbed by the substandard picture(this was one of the first BD's released), but after awhile, I became so absorbed in the movie that the not quite outstanding picture didn't matter so much anymore(the picture was fine, just not up to the best HD out there).

So, yeah, I want great quality from the software and equipment, but the enjoyment of a good film is first and foremost for me(and I'm sure for 99.9% of most of the people on these forums).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks