What's new

early user review of Batman Begins (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This HD DVD has been long waited for, and it will be a joy to watch this excellent film again in such pristine quality.

For someone who was expecting to have this HD DVD in May, it almost doesn't seem real yet that it is finally coming. Looking forward to it!

NolanJ

Second Unit
Check that link out! I stumbled upon the post yesterday and after reading it I had Batman Begins in my hands for afternoon viewing :)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

Ditto. The second place I tried had it in stock and held it for me til I showed up to buy it.

As for the HD-DVD, it stuttered a few times during the movie, including at the very beginning when young Bruce is getting swarmed by the bats in the cave. I'm not sure if this is due to the Dolby TrueHD track since it's the first disc I own with that type of audio. Also, the gunshots seemed a lot quieter than in every other presentation of the film I've seen.

Ok, with the minor nitpicks out of the way, now I can comment on the positives. The transfer put the SD-DVD to shame. Wait til you see Batman in his suit for the first time. The blacks on this disc blew me away. And the early scenes in Iceland were also impressive.

I thought T3's crane chase would be my new demo piece, but that lasted all of 6 days.:) The Batmobile chase in Dolby TrueHD raised the bar another notch or two. I'm almost afraid to play it again out of fear of pissing off the neighbors.

The only real disappointment(aside from the skipping which could become a non-issue with the next firmware upgrade) is the IME feature. I sampled a few minutes of it, but there are a lot of gaps. And most of the footage shown looked like it was taken from the featurettes on the 2-disc SD-DVD(and which are included on this version). Oh well, maybe with the inevitable double-dip, Chris Nolan will finally have more to say.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Like others, I read/post over at AVS, had also seen interesting info on BB, found not only that title but also Cinderella Man (passed) and The Fast And The Furious (purchased along w/ BB). MNF will have my attention tonight, hoping for a shootout because it's fun and also for fantasy football reasons, so BB will have to wait a night.... Exciting to have it, though!

Britton

Screenwriter
My copy also stuttered on 2 occasions. The first time occurred when Flass got into the squad car in Chapter 16. The second time was when Gordon used the Tumbler to blow up the support beams for the monorail.

I think my neighbors all hate me because of the chase scene in the Tumbler.

Bring on Superman Returns!

H

Hank

Picked up my copy of BB today at Target. Just got done watching it, this is my new reference HD DVD. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack blew my living room walls out! No freeze up/stutters or sound drop-outs.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Just finished watching it. PURE REFERENCE! This is my new demo hd dvd ;) I had no stuttering on the True Hd track and the PQ is excellent. This is just an absolute HD showcase and should be played whenever you have someone over you want to impress!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
all i ca say right now about this hd dvd is

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I thought the HD-DVD of BB was not due out until 10-10. Did it get pushed up?

Thomas Eisenmann

MarekM

Supporting Actor

there is a big story over on avsforums :)
they had cod number of BB, and they run to TARGET shops ;) and most of them get BB before official release ;)

marek

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I called my local Target and gave them the DCPI# from the AVS thread, they have BB in stock and I almost got them to hold it for me to pick up later today but they soon realized that it doesn't street until next week and shut me down.

That's ok, I'm going in there tomorrow and try again.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this hd dvd is truly superb, but the crane truck chase on T3 is still my sound ddemo choice,just for one scene.
overall the true hd track on batman begins is IT !

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The 2 Targets in my area dont even sell HDDVDs yet.

Both will start next week.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I know, but when I was in there just 2 hours earlier I was told by the same guy that answered the phone they won't even be selling HD-DVDs, only Blu-ray.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
How much you wanna bet that the guy doesn't even know the difference between the two formats?

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
My local store didn't have any HD-DVDs or BDs tonight either. It would have been nice to check out Batman Begins a little early, but it'll have to wait until next week.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i do.
first i watch because i want to see the movie then i see and hear specific scenes that are show off material.

i dont understand your question.
or maybe the point of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks