What's new

Dynaudio's updated old-skool loudspeaker concept: the 2-way with a TEN inch woofer (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Was cruising through Dynaudio's site and stumbled onto this:

Dynaudio DM 2/10

Wow, while I've whined several times on this forum lamenting the passing of this particular driver configuration, which was very popular from the late 60s to the early 90s, I never thought it would come back & especially from a hi-end manufacturer like Dynaudio. These were announced at this year's CES here in the States (as per a press release on Dynaudio's site) and based on prices in the U.K. these look to be around $1600 per pair over here.*

KLH and Advent pretty much started that trend back then, with the Large Advent eventually being one of the most successful speakers *ever*.

IMO a great choice for someone wanting to build a clean-n-classic 2.0 stereo system - say, a CD player (or dvd player for music and HT use), a turntable + a receiver or integrated amp - and who listens to a lot of rock, pop and hip-hop.

2-ways have only one crossover point which helps with accuracy, and keeps the price down, but unlike currently-fashionable standmount types with 4, 5 or 6 inch drivers, with its ten inch woofer this model can actually reproduce the music above with true authority.

htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Also, along with its smaller brother the DM 2/8 with its 8" driver, these unreasonably large :emoji_thumbsup: :D loudspeakers can obviously be used with a subwoofer crossed over around 80Hz like most other speakers, but because of their much larger low frequency drivers, can actually reproduce things like kick drums and other instruments that inhabit the area around and above that frequency...........with realism! This is something diminutive 5" woofers just cannot physically handle well which IMO is why so many sat/sub systems sound so thin and unrealistic, including with movie soundtracks.

Here's a review from a British online gear site:

excerpt:
Maybe along with the recent resurgence of 2.0 channel upper mid-fi electronic gear, like that from Onkyo, Pioneer and now Yamaha, maybe more speaker companies will follow Dynaudio's lead and introduce loudspeakers that don't require a degree in computer programming and acoustical engineering to set up for a carefree but a still (near) fullrange and pleasurable listening experience.

* I think to help keep the price down, this is why they used vinyl instead of real wood veneer; it isn't bi-ampable; and especially, the use of a 2-way design saved a chunk of change not just because of the absence of a midrange driver but also since the crossover is usually one of - if not the most expensive - single electronic component of a loudspeaker (a midrange driver's crossover usually has 2X as many parts as the woofer or tweeter).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, it doesn't seem to give specs...just because it is a 10" driver doesn't mean it will go down to the mid 20s; it could be geared more towards midbass and tuned higher - 30's to 40's with more SPL than a comparable 8". Yes the crossover is simpler, but that doesn't mean integrating a 10" directly to a tweeter is going to be made easier as such without the 10" being capable into a higher range or the tweeter lower. I am a fan of Dynaudio, so I expect it will be a solid performer. I still consider the typical 10" driver to be a midrange/midbass :)

mackie

Supporting Actor
Some people consider this the best approach to sound. Big speakers = big coherent sound that can't be duplicated by other approaches. Of course a good three-way, floorstander or bookshelf/sub combo can sound excellent too.

To me the most important aspect of a speaker is the way it sounds to me.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Er, I never mentioned anything about it hitting below 30Hz or using it in place of a subwoofer so not sure of the source of this comment. As far as music is concerned, like all the hundreds of similar "large" speakers that came before this one, if it reaches flat to "only" 40Hz then that's really all (most) rock/pop music fans need. FYI: the Large Advent which used a 10" woofer in a sealed cabinet, and was tested by many reviewers over its 15 year lifespan, IIRC generated useful output down to 35Hz (useful = not exactly flat response, but the bass could still be easily heard and felt).

I really wanted to post this for people who might be interested in putting together a simple 2.0 music and/or HT system that was easy to assemble but still sounded very good, not to win an accuracy contest.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't say that you or Dynaudio claimed below 30Hz performance, merely stating that a 10" driver doesn't necessarily get you more than an 8" would in terms of extension, though output is generally higher - all obviously affected by overall design as well. A 2-way 10 inch can be more of a trade off than others in that, if you try for extension and good midrange, it often doesn't do well with either. Focusing on one or the other also means the other suffers some.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Bigger is always, always, better. ;) It's a spiritual thing ya know something the mind can't contemplate but your inner gut can - I think the Discovery Channel even had a show about it. :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Backstory on the following paragraph: back in the 70s a company called Dynaco (famous for their highly respected Stereo 70 tube amp, still being sold 40+ years later) who also sold a respected - and highly successful - 2-way 10" speaker called the A-25 ---> excellent/highly detailed site about this loudspeaker made in Denmark & sold here.

The A-25 looks like it could easily have been the inspiration for the Dynaudio DM 2/10. :chin scratch:

skip back to present day..........

On another site discussing the Dynaudio 2-way, a member posted a link to a British DIY company selling what basically seems to be a modernised version of the A-25, right down to that special aperiodic vent:

World Designs WD25A

They also sell an assembled version. There is also a larger floorstanding version available with a slightly different vent configuration.

FYI: after doing a search, I'm starting to see some reviews of the Dynaudio DM model (8" and 10" versions) all positive so far, but no professional ones yet but those usually take awhile and these speakers were only recently released.

BTW: in case anyone has any qualms about such reltaively large woofers being used for the midrange frequencies, as someone on another forum pointed out, many of the most popular *studio monitors* use the 8" 2-way configuration, including a Dynaudio monitor I heard at Guitar Center, to make sure master recordings are done correctly. So a 10" woofer version can't be all that bad either. So I wouldn't worry about gross sonic inaccuracies concerning this Dynaudio, that A-25 semi-replica loudspeaker (or the many real A-25s sitting in thrift shops, an uncle's attic, etc...........).

EDIT: Dynaudio now sells a 10" 2-way monitor with a built-in DAC.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Found another review of these (May '08) and they mostly tested them in an HT environment. Though they did listen to several music dvds, David Gilmour among them, and one 5.1 sacd of Russian ballet suites and an acoustic guitar quartet.

Home Theater Magazine review of the DM 2/10

I wish they had also done some stereo-only testing with CD, vinyl, etc.

IMO these would make great rock & pop loudspeakers, since their bass response makes it to around 40Hz before slipping downwards (their port can be plugged w/a supplied foam plug however, possibly extending their response). For a system that uses a 10" woofer in such a small enclosure & "only" hits 40Hz, to me that means they very probably have nice-n-punchy bass, something my Beastie Boys and Thievery Corporation albums would appreciate. :) And also means they should be easy to drive with any good receiver, say, $500 and up.

FYI: the article states no sub was used in their testing - instead, they used five of the DM 2/10s.*

These Dynaudios only weigh 28lbs apiece, so are easy to place where needed. And though plainly styled, personally I like their no-nonsense look.

There is also an 8" version of this speaker.

* for those new to the HT scene, if you go sub-less, make sure to program the receiver accordingly i.e. in the set up menu choose "subwoofer - no". Otherwise ALL the low bass from movies - and CDs, vinyl, etc - will go unheard. That's because when "no" is chosen, the bass management system redirects the sub channel's bass to the left & right front mains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks