What's new

Dynasty (1 Viewer)

Just picked up my copy too! Who else picked up a copy? God, I hope this thing sells, and suprises the hell out of the Paramount execs. We may have to get Alexis to go over there and slap some sense into these folks.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

CBS/Paramount TV owns the Love Boat, another Spelling property. GH is Disney/ABC.

They're really getting lazy. Bad enough Paramount's theatrical movie DVDs are determined by Dreamworks personnel with a clear disdain for anything more than 30 years old, but for TV shows (and I know they're a different company now, but aren't they still pretty much vassals of Sumner Redstone's National Amusements?) this cutting of everything and anything is really getting tiresome.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Good heavens, I think I remember the GH scene in question- weren't Heather Webber and Joe Kelly in it? This is nothing new: a GH scene from the mid '70s appears in the movie The Sunshine Boys, and a vintage '63 scene with John Beradino and Emily McLaughlin in their landmark roles of Dr. Steve and Nurse Jessie in in The Onion Field, which takes place in 1963. Last year's Running with Scissors has Jill Clayburgh watching Dark Shadows reruns, and the classic Taxi Driver has a TV showing The Young and the Restless!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I picked up a copy yesterday at Best Buy. It was the next to last one in stock.

I watched the first five episodes last night and agree with the other posters that these shows look and sound great! I didn't notice anything missing, but I have not seen any of these shows since their original network run, so my recall is hazy at best. About the only thing I did pick up on is some very wonky dialog looping. Even my wife who is usually oblivious to such things, asked me what was up with the sound. Check out that first Heather Locklear episode to see what I'm talking about. What I don't know is if this is new or was done for the original programs. In any event, it is great to see Alexis and company again! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Charles--you are remembering the GH scene correctly; it was with Heather & Joe...two very popular characters of the early 80s that today's fans probably have never heard of! I still haven't found the scene, but I'll keep looking.

Gary--the bad looping has always been there; not a dvd defect.

But GOOD news--I DID find the Love Boat scene on the dvd! It's about 1/2 way thru "The Fragment" episode. It's completely intact along with the "Love Boat" theme song playing on Alexis' tv set.

Rollerderby

Auditioning
Real Name
Cody
I never got around to buying Season 1, so I just picked up the Dynasty 2-Pack (Seasons 1 and 2) at Amazon for only $36.99. Cheap!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I have now finished the set. I can pretty much guarantee that there are no cuts!!! As I went thru the episodes on dvd, I double-checked any trouble spots alongside my original vhs tapes from the 80s. Couldn't find anything wrong. That's the first time that's ever happened to me! Is there any music substitution? I wasn't really looking for that, but there may be some for all I know. But there are no cut scenes!

As for the General Hospital clip on dvd? There it is--on episode 9: "The Psychiatrist."

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
My best friend is defiantely going to want to pick this up. He WORSHIPS Dynasty (I'm a Knots guy myself) glad to hear theyr'e uncut and of good quality! I enjoy watching Dynasty on a certain level as long as Emma Samms isn't there. I agree with the poster who said that she was the worst recast is soap history. (Jack Coleman might be the second worst) I don't know what the casting people were thinking casting Samms in that part... to me, the perfect replacement was obvious... ANNE LOCKHART.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yes, the casting of Emma Samms was a bit of a head-scratcher but she was hand-picked by Aaron Spelling from the cast of General Hospital where she was wildly popular. I didn't care for her as Fallon but it would have been hard for anyone to follow Pamela Sue.

With regard to the straight/gay/bi-sexual Steven, while I found Jack Coleman to be great-looking but boring he was a vast improvement over Al Corley who was a truly horrid actor.

Also, let's not forget that the "other" Carrington child, Amanda, was also recast - and badly. First the beautiful but empty Catherine Oxenberg then the awkward Karen Cellini who was soon shown the door.

By the time that both Fallon & Amanda had been recast the show had basically jumped the chaise lounge. I've never understood the affection that so many have for The Colbys as it was a rather pale imitation of Dynasty and it's creation is what basically killed Dynasty. Most of the creative force behind Dynasty went into The Colbys thereby putting the nail into Dynasty's coffin.

I'd be shocked to see The Colbys on DVD, much less combined with Dynasty in some sort of gold-spangled, diamond-encrusted box set. I don't even expect all of the Dynasty seasons to make it out. It's taken this long for just TWO seasons.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, it took so long because the rights were changing hands, and also sales for season one weren't very good. (Durr--Joan Collins wasn't in it). I'd expect the dvds to get thru at least season 5 and maybe 6. The Colbys at least had huge star power, if nothing else. It has its fans among the hardcore Dynasty people. If it came out as a reasonably-priced Complete Series set, I'd definitely get it, and I know a lot of other fans who would as well.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Knot's is once again on sale at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Only $15.99. I wish they'd get over themselves and get on with season two, though--sheesh! Anne Lockhart would have been a terrific choice for Fallon 2. She's similar enough to PSM that the switch wouldn't have been too shocking, yet different enough that she could have made the role her own and not have upset 20 million fans...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm finally watching Season 1, and will move onto season 2 afterwards. The remastering work is exquisite, near HD quality; to think that Dallas and Knots could have looked this good, too. If season 2 looks half as good as season 1 I'll be blown away.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Prepare to be blown away!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yes the quality is on par with S1 perhaps even a little better. I am almost finished with the set. Loving it... Heather Locklear dancing in the white gown with slit up the side is almost as good as her tj hooker dance. Oh and the first big cat fight and Linda Evans comment afterwards is still priceless today.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just bought it online, I'm hoping that the volume of sales will help increase the chance of another primetime soap being released on DVD, namely the one that started it all: PEYTON PLACE!!! Unfortunately, Fox owns it, and we all know how they feel about any show made prior to 1980!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well I think season three had even more Big Moments than season two. Three had the big lily pond fight scene, the burning cabin, the Roaring 20s party and more--a very memorable season, and very worthy of dvd! I think it would help CBS this time a little better if they include a few extras. They already have that "Catfights & Caviar" reunion special from last year; they should put that on the dvd so 'extra content' fans will be still--

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator

Wrong. The ratings had already started to go into freefall post-Moldavian Massacre cliffhanger before The Colbys had even premiered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks