What's new

Dynasty Season Four Announced (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
WaveCrest said:
Hopefully the Fallon UFO flashback scenes are intact (when UK Gold showed the eighth season many years ago, the UFO scenes were cut).
So far, neither the UK or US dvds have featured any episodes that were cut for syndication. Nor has there been any music replacement, as far as anyone's noticed. Those UFO scenes may have been cut because they were too referential to the Colbys series and may have been misunderstood if you were just watching Dynasty alone. I think the dvd producers are wise enough to leave them in, especially since some of us have been pining away for a Colbys dvd release as well :D

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced/90#post_3922622
So far, neither the UK or US dvds have featured any episodes that were cut for syndication. Nor has there been any music replacement, as far as anyone's noticed. Those UFO scenes may have been cut because they were too referential to the Colbys series and may have been misunderstood if you were just watching Dynasty alone. I think the dvd producers are wise enough to leave them in, especially since some of us have been pining away for a Colbys dvd release as well

I have only watched the show since the first Season was released when was it 50 years ago lol Feels like it with how slow it takes... however when I read a while back about the Fallon UFO storyline I was thinking Really WTF? It almost sounded made up! the whole Fallon character got lost on me when she was replaced. No one can replace the original Fallon IMO, however I will say after many season Fallon lost her fire, not just in character but in her fashion sense and what the hell were they doing to her hair! I mean come on her character was so awesome from the start! I still loved her once she became closer to Krystal. I think the powers that be made her look frumpy etc and they ran her character off the show so to speak.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Powell&Pressburger said:
I have only watched the show since the first Season was released when was it 50 years ago lol Feels like it with how slow it takes... however when I read a while back about the Fallon UFO storyline I was thinking Really WTF? It almost sounded made up! the whole Fallon character got lost on me when she was replaced. No one can replace the original Fallon IMO, however I will say after many season Fallon lost her fire, not just in character but in her fashion sense and what the hell were they doing to her hair! I mean come on her character was so awesome from the start! I still loved her once she became closer to Krystal. I think the powers that be made her look frumpy etc and they ran her character off the show so to speak. 
The casting of Emma Samms in that role was just one of those ideas that sounded good at the time, but really wasn't. Reportedly, the then 12 year old Tori Spelling had enjoyed Emma on General Hospital and suggested her to her father as a possible replacement for the exiting Pamela Sue Martin (or so the legend goes). And Emma was riding a very hot wave of popularity due to her role on General Hospital. However, no one seemed concerned that she was flat-out wrong for the role of Fallon. By the time anyone noticed, they were pretty much stuck with her, and she was supposed to be a major draw for the "Colbys" series. I think the producers and writers felt that Emma was talented and popular enough that she'd someday make the role into her own, but she really never did. Maybe by the 9th season she'd grown into the role (she seemed to be having more fun with it), but by then the damage was long done.
Did Emma Samms ruin Dynasty for me? A little. But there were so many other characters on the two shows in 1985-1987 that I would simply tend to ignore Fallon. Emma wasn't working out for me in that role, and so I'd overlook Fallon and pay more attention to other characters. Too bad, because Fall was one of my favorite characters in the first three seasons.
I always thought it was unfortunate that the character of Fallon was allowed to mature too quickly during the Pamela Sue Martin era. She'd gone from being a wild party girl before the series began, to toning it down a bit while under her father's roof, to a responsible mother (if irresponsible wife) to a divorcee and business manager, then to a jet-setting tabloid romance character, and back to being a responsible mom (at least) and potentially a responsible wife once again. I always wished they'd left her as the swinging slut she was supposed to have been, as mentioned in the pilot (we never actually saw her do the entire football team...!) But she did mature, and Sammy Jo was sort of brought along to be the wild girl in the house. (And then Sammy Jo matured so much that by the end of the series she wasn't any fun anymore, either).
Of course, all four Carrington children were recast at some point in the series, and it never really worked out. Does anyone prefer, for example Jack Coleman as Steven? He had little spark to him either. He was actually a better actor than Al Corley, but he still seemed wooden, and he played the character much longer. We won't even get into Karen Cellini and Robin Sachs...gah!!!!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced/90#post_3922622
So far, neither the UK or US dvds have featured any episodes that were cut for syndication. Nor has there been any music replacement, as far as anyone's noticed. Those UFO scenes may have been cut because they were too referential to the Colbys series and may have been misunderstood if you were just watching Dynasty alone. I think the dvd producers are wise enough to leave them in, especially since some of us have been pining away for a Colbys dvd release as well

Liked how you worded that.

The recap shown at the beginning of the eighth season premiere showed a clip from the end scene of The Colbys' series finale, with what was shown across the first few episodes of Dynasty's eighth season being brand new footage. At the moment, unless The Colbys does get a DVD release, these UFO flashbacks are all we're going to get of The Colbys at the moment, in terms of a taster of that cliffhanger ending. Having re-watched The Colbys recently, they really should have brought the show back for a third season. Even if it was going to be explained as a figment of Fallon's imagination (read it here or on another TV forum, along with Bliss and Zach being dropped and Dominque becoming a regular cast member), The Colbys got better as it went on and should have been brought back. The Carrington-Colby pipeline was still being mentioned from time, but the focus had shifted to the IMOS Project and a mysterious character called Hoyt Parker.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced/90#post_3922666
Of course, all four Carrington children were recast at some point in the series, and it never really worked out. Does anyone prefer, for example Jack Coleman as Steven? He had little spark to him either. He was actually a better actor than Al Corley, but he still seemed wooden, and he played the character much longer. We won't even get into Karen Cellini and Robin Sachs...gah!!!!

It just wasn't the same with Robin Sachs as Adam in Dynasty: The Reunion (hopefully this will be included with the ninth season set and not released separately), compared to Gordon Thomson's portrayal. Used to love his scenes with Jeff (John James) on both Dynasty and The Colbys. And remember when they brought back Al Corley for the reunion mini-series? Did Steven have plastic surgery again?

Ben's daughter Leslie started off having a good storyline in the seventh season, but then she disappeared with no explanation come the ninth season. Would have liked to have seen Christopher Cazenove stay on for the eighth season, or appear on The Colbys as a recurring character, had it been renewed for a third season.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger /t/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced/90#post_3922634

Having watched the cliffhanger of The Colbys again, even though I'd seen it before, I still couldn't believe my eyes. Mulder and Scully were only six years away after this episode premiered on CBS. That would have been a neat homage to the UFO storyline, if they'd mentioned on The X Files about a woman who was abducted by a UFO with her car found by a crossroads, followed by her family telling her it was all in her head.

That would have made an interesting comparison, seeing Pamela Sue Martin as Fallon on The Colbys.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I would love to see THE COLBY's released on DVD also. They should just honestly release a Two Season Set and get it released. I love Stephanie Beecham and have never seen any of the Colby's except the crossover DYNASTY eps. I recall Stephanie from my childhood staple film Troop Beverly Hill$

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The TV series Stephanie Beacham made before The Colbys, Connie, will hopefully will get released in July by Network. Unless it's release gets pushed back again. Vaguely remember it from it's original transmission when shown on ITV.

Also, regarding the beginning of the eighth season of Dynasty....how much time passed between Jeff's last scene in The Colbys' series finale to when he's searching for Fallon with the police in the Mojave desert?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Stephanie Beacham was one of my first crushes. She was the only reason I ever felt any reason for watching first the Colbys and then Dynasty!
I have seen announcements regarding her series "Connie" for more than a year getting pushed back again and again. I hope they finally do release it, because that is the only TV other than McCloud S1 I have ever felt a need to buy a non-R1 release of!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jack, did you start watching Dynasty with it's ninth season? From what I remember, the last season (as with the seventh and eighth seasons) had a lot of scenes shot on the studio set. The murder storyline was quite good and the show seemed better.

With regards to the complete series set of Connie, have no idea if it's music replacement issues or something else which is holding up the release. Network have substituted music tracks on their releases of Heartbeat (the most obvious substitutions being of tracks by The Beatles). What you don't see now on the front covers round the circle picture (inside of which it says how many discs are in a boxset), is "all episodes complete and uncut". Along the top of each Network TV show release is "The Complete _____ Series", but (and this was said on here a long while ago) this just means all the episodes in a season of a show are in the boxset.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'd watched a few episodes of Dynasty scattered about in the earlier seasons, but only when Beacham was on-board as a regular again did I watch it every week.
Fortunately, not having seen "Connie" before, I'll be in the category of what I don't know won't hurt me in regards to music replacement!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Front cover artwork for the Region 2 UK release of Dynasty: The Eighth Season (source: Play.com):

96f261f9_31619323_500x500_1.jpeg

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The BBFC added listings to their website today for all 22 episodes of Dynasty's eighth season. The run times are around 45 minutes, including the first few episodes of the season, so hopefully the UFO flashback scenes will be intact.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Jack P /t/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced/90#post_3923054
I'd watched a few episodes of Dynasty scattered about in the earlier seasons, but only when Beacham was on-board as a regular again did I watch it every week.
Fortunately, not having seen "Connie" before, I'll be in the category of what I don't know won't hurt me in regards to music replacement!

Fingers crossed the early August release of Connie happens. The release date was pushed back again, this time to Monday 6th August.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The ninth and final season of Dynasty, along with a complete series set, have a release date of Monday 5th November (source: Play.com). No release date up yet on Amazon UK and HMV.com.

Hopefully the two-part Dynasty: The Reunion is included in both releases.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Very cool for the final season release. My amazon UK order for Season 8 got a shipment confirmation early this morning for US delivery. ( I purchased the Season 6 US Volumes when they were released. Just wish the US releases weren't so far behind. at any rate my UK order shipped from my pre-order early price total w/ shipping came to about 28.00)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
WaveCrest said:
The ninth and final season of Dynasty, along with a complete series set, have a release date of Monday 5th November (source: Play.com). No release date up yet on Amazon UK and HMV.com.
Hopefully the two-part Dynasty: The Reunion is included in both releases.
Can't believe how speeded up the UK releases have become. Hopefully that means the Region 1 releases will be completed by next year. I've always wondered if they'd put the Reunion on the Season 9 dvds; I don't know if it's a different license from the series proper.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley /t/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced/90#post_3955178
Can't believe how speeded up the UK releases have become. Hopefully that means the Region 1 releases will be completed by next year. I've always wondered if they'd put the Reunion on the Season 9 dvds; I don't know if it's a different license from the series proper.

Not sure about this either, if CBS/P have the rights to release Dynasty: The Reunion on DVD. Can remember it being released on VHS in the early 90's, but not who had the rights to it at the time (and if they still hold the rights to it now). If it was possible to include it in the ninth season set, they could make it a 7-disc set.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The ninth and final season, and complete series sets of Dynasty are now available for DVD pre-order on Amazon UK.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by WaveCrest /t/281872/dynasty-season-four-announced/90#post_3957186
The ninth and final season, and complete series sets of Dynasty are now available for DVD pre-order on Amazon UK.

Thanks for the heads up pre-ordered so I won't miss a price drop on the final season set. I am hoping I get Season 8 delivered before the weekend. Did you order S 8 from UK also?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks