What's new

Dynasty S3 - two families to two volumes.. Bah Humbug Paramount! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not hired by anyone. People seem to wonder why Dynasty is being split and I'm trying to give them an answer as to why it's happening. Obviously, some don't like the answer that I'm giving but that's life. And unlike you, I'm not mad about it.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Well it works both ways, your reasoning is fair and you say people don't like it but at the same time you do not like people not being happy about volumes. So your being two-faced when you make off the wall remarks you just made like you did above saying "some don't like the answer that I'm giving but that's life. And unlike you, I'm not mad about it" your not mad about it because you don't mind volumes, but your mad about people being mad about it. I will just toss my hands in the air with those types of arguments.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I assure you that I'm not mad at anyone in the thread but at the same time, I guess I just don't understand why, in my mind, people are looking a a gift horse in the mouth. I've said earlier that I understand that people don't like the volume releases but complaining about a show being released just doesn't make sense to me. If Sony would give The Larry Sanders Show a second chance in the form of volumes instead of season sets, I'd be happy that the show was coming out at all. I'm sure many fans of Taxi, Cheers, Leave It To Beaver, etc. feel the same way.

And since Brett specifically mentioned me in his post (and in other threads where I didn't agree with him), he must be mad at me.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

Fair Enough, as much as i am against volume sets like i have been saying aslong as they release them in a timely manner i will probably buy them. But they can't expect many of even the most loyal Dynasty fans to wait a year between half season releases or even 6 months for that matter. Like it has been said before the loyal Dynasty fans will just turn their attention to other show they are collecting even if they would prefer not to.

What a Studio with any sense at all would look to move forward with and bring to fruition in the future is something like this. For shows that do not sell well or one's you choose not to release because you feel they will not sell. The studio's via their websites sets up a section where die-hard fan's of particular shows would be allowed to place an order for a complete set. Then the studio takes that money and produces only what was sold. You make it a limited time once the deadline date is reached and all orders are in. You will never be able to buy that particular set again. That will generate lots of sales right there. You may even put up a number of pre-sales that need to be reached so it would allow them to make these sets and still profit. Then fanbases can see fit to give them free advertising and promote sales to reach that desired number aswell. There is so much more a good studio exec could and should do instead of toss a show aside or not release it at all. There is profit to be made in most every show in your vaults, you just have to go about it the right way! I would find a way to make a profit with most show's in their library if given the opportunity to do so. I have plenty of solid sound economic Ideas. Any studio willing to listen? You know where to find me!

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino
Travis, I'm not mad at you. I don't even know you.

That said, I see you only when you post, which is quite often (look at your post count, your over 7600 postings), most of the time, in threads about a dvd release you aren't even interested in, just to tell people

a) a series didn't sell well enough to warrant a future release
b) We should be happy with whatever a studio puts out and at any price and
c) to explain why someone else's favorite show might not be released at all or why it doesn't deserve to be released (as you did in the Knots thread, a show you didn't like, had no intentions of buying, yet posted in anyway)

That said 2, I'm not mad at the studio either. They can and will do what they want. As a consumer, so will I.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Then don't buy it. But others may.
I wouldn't own DYNASTY even if it was given to me FREE..... but if I had to pay double the price to get, say, the rest of THE ODD COUPLE (a series I love and want to own every episode of), I'd pay what it took because I love the show and want it.

andyEckles

Agent
Maybe releases will be sped up for this series. Paramount is planning on releasing Love, American Style Season 1 Vol. 2 less than four months after volume 1 was released. Love Boat seems to be getting the same treatment, so maybe this is just a new trend with Paramount and older shows. I can live with that. But again, I'm a die-hard Dynasty fan, and every release that gets closer to the appearance of Diahann Carroll is welcome!!

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino

Excellent suggestion Aryn.

Time Life has done it for Get Smart and one other show I believe. If they released that way, I'd be more inclined to buy.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I'm being quite rational by explaining and understanding the reasoning behind the split season volume approach. It's not a matter of whether or not I am interested in the show in any particular thread (DYNASTY in this case); it's the general topic of split season sets in general that I am responding to. It could have been any series thread that caught my eye regarding "volumes"... it just happened to be a DYNASTY one this time out.

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino

Hi Joe,

And I mean this in the kindest way, no anger... but if you couldn't care less about Dynasty and wouldn't own it even if it was given for free, why are you posting here?

This is a thread about Dynasty and the fans of that show who may be a bit peeved because now they may have to pay 2x as much for a full season.

If you're posting here to defend the volume set scenario, there's another thread just for you. It's called the reason for Volume sets, or something like that.

But for you to come here and defend a studios decision about a show you aren't even interested in or wouldn't own even for free, proves my point exactly.

You wouldn't own it for free... so stop telling everyone else that if they like the show, they should pay 2x as much for it and be glad they're getting it at all... especially when, as you said, You Couldn't Care Less About Dynasty At All.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I have no inside knowledge of pricing for Dynasty.

My point is that I can't see any way that Paramount could sell a half season for the same price as a full season when the full seasons are not selling well. The only thing I can see is that they weren't happy with the numbers on S2, but believe enough in the show to try reducing the price to spur sales. And the only way to reduce the price is to remove content.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

If I liked it, I would pay 2 or even 3X if it was the only way to get it. As I've said, if it was a show I did like -- say, THE ODD COUPLE -- I would put my money where my mouth was there, too.

And I think you are angry about this.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Is there any reason for anyone NOT to be angry over this?

I saw no ads for Dynasty: S2 (or S1 for that matter) anywhere at all. They need to promote these freakin' things if they want people to buy it. Commercials on channels like SoapNet, TV Land, RTN, or even ABC Daytime would be a step in the right direction.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

Unfortunately, on-air advertising with commercials is prohibitively expensive for shows that are not expected to sell in high-volume such as Dynasty. It just isn't cost efficient when you are using marketing dollars at a company that could just as easily be used to promote something that WILL sell in high-volume (i.e. Seinfeld, Lost, Heroes, etc.). Great idea on paper, not practical in the corporate world.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes, and besides, the thread heading itself is rather provocative when it says "Bah, Humbug, Paramount!" , and it's a general rant against Paramount TV as a whole.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They don't expect them to sell in high-volume because they don't do any advertising. And with no advertising they don't even meet their low sales expectations. It is a vicious circle that needs to be broken.

BTW, the MSRP of Dynasty: S2 was $40. It can be had online for as low as $27.95. Not that bad if you ask me.

And in contrast, the MSRP of Gunsmoke: S1 is $42.99 with the cheapest online price $26.89. Season 2, volume 1 has an MSRP of $36.99 with the cheapest online price being $25.89. I assume that Season 2, volume 2 will also be priced as such. Does anyone believe that is not a ripoff?

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino

No Joe, don'tdeflect off the issue. This is a thread about DYNASTY - SPLIT SEASONS - BAH HUMBUG.

Read it again: BAH HUMBUG. Again: BAH HUMBUG. Again: DYNASTY.

Your posting in a thread about a dvd you don't even have any interest in
and wouldn't own even if it was for free.

You keep trying to justify your continued presence in a thread that really, has nothing to do with you or your wants.

So Joe, the problem is you and everyone else who comes to a thread about a dvd they have no interest in, only to slam the people who do, who are unhappy with the way it is being released or the price.

All of you who have nothing else better to do than to come to post on threads about product you aren't even interested in, there's a word for people like you and what you argumentative guys are doing: It's called TROLLING.

For the rest of us, we ARE interested in DYNASTY and we have every right to post our point of view in a thread about the way it is released.

It's as simple as that.

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino

Then Travis, go to the other thread that's about SPLIT SEASON RELEASING and stop telling people they're turning a gift horse away. It's not a gift if it costs twice the price.

And besides, you're not even interested in DYNASTY so all of you who aren't, stop justifying your trolling behavior.

brett tolino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
brett tolino

And like the company spokesmen these people keep trying to be, Joe has come here to defend Paramount's practices (when they don't even do it themselves! Ha!), about a dvd he has no interest in.

Spoken like a true message board troll!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks