What's new

DVD's You Own Just Because They're RARE (1 Viewer)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
DVD has existed for how long? About eight years now? Not much in the big picture of things. I don't think a DVD is very interesting in itself if the contents aren't worthy. If I want rarities I'll look for something else - and older.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
You know, I pass by the 2-disc edition of Fight Club that's supposed to be OOP every week at Best Buy. every week I'm tempted to buy it, and then my shoulder angle pops up and says, "Why? You don't even like this movie very much." And then I thank my shoulder angel and move on. Let someone who really likes Fight Club get that prized 2-disc SE.

I buy stuff BEFORE it becomes rare, because I know it will become hard to find later. The Walt Disney Treasures, the Platinum Titles, the Pixar films, the Lucas movies and James Bond titles -- It's a form of buyer's insurance, protecting myself from being gouged later. I've bought stuff that has since become rare, and didn't know I was buying a collector's piece, but just knowing something is rare is not enough. I don't buy stuff to stay in a wrapper, like Stinky Pete the Prospector -- I buy toys who were born to be played with.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've got the 2-disc Patton, never opened, bought a few years ago, never got around to watching it. Didn't know it was OOP, so I'll keep it a while.

Bought a region 2 version of Salo to see what all the hype was about. For those of you who are interested, trust me, you don't want to see it. I barely made it through one viewing, and I'll never watch it again.

Purposely bought the original "Devil's Advocate", thinking it may become collectable, but there are loads of them out there now. Have one still factory sealed and one opened that I've watched a few times.

Bought the "special" version of "Little Shop of Horrors" a year or two ago after a truckload of them suddenly appeared and the prices on eBay dropped considerably.

Accidentally bought "This Island Earth" for about $20 and found out later it is somewhat rare and can occasionally get a pretty good price on eBay. Was looking for "The Day the Earth Stood Still" but had a temporary brain fart and got my titles confused.

No flaming for the next section, I own about 20 widescreen vhs movies and these were the last VHS tapes I ever bought....

About 5 years ago bought three copies of the silver widescreen VHS version of the Star Wars Trilogy from a local Hastings, think it came out in 1997, and it was going for $200 or more on eBay. My copies cost me $50 each, brand new, factory sealed, etc.... Just as I was about to list them on eBay, another seller showed up and apparently had found a warehouse full of the same set. Started dumping them for $30-$40. I never listed mine, eventually Lucas came out with yet another VHS version, so I've still got them, gathering dust in a closet.

Buyer and Seller beware if you think you may have something OOP or possibly rare. Somebody may be sitting on a pile of them and unleash them just as you want to sell.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I am not sure how rare they are, but if it is Criterion and if I can afford it, I will buy it.

ry/

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to get a P-Touch and slap transparent Criterion labels on the worst DVDs in my stable: Merlin and Caligula. And then, for good measure, just to make sure some poseur buys both, I'll list them as "Criterion Collection: L'Merlin" and "Criterion Collection: L'Caligula". I'm sure, after receiving "L'Caligula", someone will write a breathless essay about what an astonishing piece of art it was.

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Ernest, I bought the Fight Club disc three years ago because I heard it was being deleted... and yet it's still EVERYWHERE! But I really love the movie, so that's okay.

And on a similar note, I bought "Bambi" on release date as basically a blind buy -- I hadn't seen it since the '88 reissue, when I was... um... four years old -- because I knew I'd want it eventually and didn't want to keep paying for OOP Disney discs, which seems to be my current hobby. But man, I was glad I got it. Wonderful wonderful movie.

I ordered "Mallrats" when it was going OOP simply because I like "Clerks" and "Dogma" and thought I'd like to own it. Eek. "Mallrats" is almost unwatchable IMO, although some of the extras are funny.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a website that tells you when dvd's are going out of print or are already oop?

I have bought a few just because they were oop. If a movie comes out in 2 versions I always get the more expensive limited version for some reason. I wonder what all these disc will be worth when they come out with high def versions. I have pretty much stopped buying until hd-dvd's come out. I have sold almost my entire collection except for the ones I really, really like or the oop titles like Robocop, Silence of the Lambs, etc. My wife paid $175 for an oop title of the Beatles A Hard Days Night. I almost killed her.

Scott

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Are you ready for this?:
http://hometheaterinfo.com/disconti.htm
It's a huge list and lots of titles are worthless (face it, many are discontinued for a reason. Up-grades released later mostly kill the value of their predecessors).

Of course, it's easier to find worthwhile titles here... if you're into Disney (again, be warned, some older titles are not of the quality of in-print versions):
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/OOP.htm

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
i didnt know that half my discs were rare untill i read this thread !

i have big trouble 2disc indy. day 5* to name but 2.
robocop i knew about but bought it for the transfer not the status of the disc

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
My wife paid $175 for an oop title of the Beatles A Hard Days Night. I almost killed her.
Well if it is any consolation, the original release from MPI at one point were selling for around $1,000 before Miramax released the current 2-Disc Collector's Series. Even so, I understand that the MPI edition still sells for more on eBay than the new edition.

I have several OOP discs (titles in the 2000 and 4000 category in my DVD Profiler list - and a few in the 5000 range as well), some that are quite rare, others that are quite common, and some that have been replaced by newer editions, but even if they weren't rare I'd keep them as they remind me of my history with DVD.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Fight Club 2 disc- I thought this was re-released sometime
last year?

I have to like a film or really like the extras to
buy a DVD. I won't buy something just becasue it's
rare, a limited edition or OOP. I do have a few
limited editions in my library, and some OOP titles.
Also, I would not consider selling my rare stuff to
make a buck. I have the Silence Of The Lambs Criterion
AND MGM DVDs, but will keep the Criterion because of
the group Commentary track- it's outstanding. I have
the MGM disc because of the 16x9 transfer and documentary
that wasn't on the Criterion disc. I think having some
rare or OOP titles in a library makes it seem a little
more valuable and special.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks