What's new

DVDs that contain lengthy docs. about stars or directors? (1 Viewer)

Jay*W

Second Unit
Thought that this thread was worthy of a bump. A few that spring immediately to mind are (1) the new Scorsese documentary on Val Lewton from the reissued Lewton box, (2) the inclusion of Gene Kelly: Anatomy of a Dancer on the new 2-disc edition of An American In Paris, (3) the Jack Warner documentary that will be included on the upcoming UCE of Casablanca, and (4) the inclusion of Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows in the Dirty Harry box.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Samuel Goldwyn: The Man and His Movies was actually available in Region 1 for some period of time. I obtained a copy from oldies.com in one of their $5 for $25 sales a year or so ago. Well worth owning.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Thanks for bumping this thread Jay. I'll update the first post with your suggestions and any others that I can think of. I can't believe that it's been two years.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I didn't see this on the list: The Gentleman Tramp, a doc on Chaplin, is included in the latest box set of The Chaplin Mutual films.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've updated the list with the above suggestion as well as about a dozen that I remembered. I'm sure that I'm missing some though.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Kevin Brownlow's D.W. GRIFFITH: FATHER OF FILM (1993) is coming from Kino next week as part of their Griffith Masterworks Vol. 2 set.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Eric,

"Louise Brooks: Looking For Lulu" appears on the Criterion release of Pandora's Box.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Another worthy addition would be the recent reissue/revision of Peter Bogdanovich's Directed By John Ford.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Janson Media released 21 documentaries from late 1980's - early 1990's about different actor and actresses as part of The Hollywood Collection:
Anthony Quinn: An Original
Audrey Hepburn Remembered
Burt Lancaster: Daring to Reach
Cary Grant: The Leading Man
Charlton Heston: For All Seasons
Gary Cooper: The Face of a Hero
Grace Kelly: The American Princess
Gregory Peck: His Own Man
Ingrid Bergman Remembered
Jack Lemmon: America's Everyman
Joan Crawford: Always the Star
Marilyn Monroe: Beyond the Legend
Michael Caine: Breaking the Mold
Robert Mitchum: The Reluctant Star
Roger Moore: A Matter of Class
Shirley MacLaine: Kicking Up Her Heels
Shirley Temple: America's Little Darling
Steve McQueen: Man on the Edge
Walter Matthau: Diamond in the Rough

William Holden: The Golden Boy (was supposed to come out April 20, but appears to be delayed or cancelled)
Yul Brynner: The Man Who Was King

They also released Sonja Henie: Queen of the Ice.

Warner released:
Val Lewton: The Man in Shadows (2007)
William A. Wellman: The Men Who Made Movies Forbidden Hollywood Collection, Volume 3
Brothers Warner, The (2008)
Clint Eastwood: The Eastwood Factor (2010) (Coming June 1)

Criterion released:
Carlos Saura: Portrait of Carlos Saura Cría cuervos
Lindsay Anderson: Lucky Man? This Sporting Life
Juan Antonio Bardem: Calle Bardem Death of a Cyclist
Carl Th. Dreyer Vampyr
Claude Jutra: An Unfinished Story Mon oncle Antoine
Jacques Tati: In the Footsteps of Monsieur Hulot Trafic
Douglas Sirk: From UFA to Hollywood: Douglas Sirk Remembers Magnificent Obsession
Luis Bunuel: A Mexican Buñuel Simon of the Desert
Charles Laughton: The Hollywood Greats Hobson's Choice
Roberto Rossellini Roberto Rossellini’s War Trilogy
Max Ophuls: Max by Marcel Lola Montes

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Thanks guys. I can't believe that it's been 1-1/2 years since the last update. Almost exactly the length of the dryspell for classics on DVD.

I'll update the first post in the next few days. Hopefully sooner.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Great list, Gregory -- wow! I was coming back to mention three or four that I remembered in the meantime, and you picked up all but one:

William Castle: Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story from Sony's The William Castle Film Collection

Have been enjoying catching up on some of these while I've been up late with the new baby, and this list has been a trememdous resource.

Thanks!

Jay

P.S. The Jack Warner bio from the Casblanca UCE is called Jack Warner: The Last Mogul -- but beware that it is a truncated approximately one hour long version of the full 104-minute documentary that is available on DVD-R from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-L-Warner-Last-Mogul/dp/B000COF1QW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1272306455&sr=1-1-spell

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I think that I'm all caught up. I also added a few that I remembered including the Jack Lemmon documentary.

Let me know if you think of any more.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Also added: Ernst Lubitsch in Berlin

I would love to pick up a number of those documentaries from Janson Media, but they're $25 each on Amazon. What gives? These are 20 year old documentaries that I believe were made for TV. Does anybody have a source where these are cheaper?

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Re Janson Media releases, with list price of 24.95 for each, it's better to rent them if anyone is carrying them or wait for price drops. Each documentary is just 1 hour so I think price is too high.

2 more Kino documentaries to add:
Victor Sjöström on The Outlaw and His Wife
Leni Riefenstahl: The Immoderation in Me on White Hell of Pitz Palu

FrankieH

Auditioning
Real Name
Frankie Hoskyn
Well done Eric for starting this thread. I have one title that I would like to add : This Happy Breed (2-Disc Special Edition, Released By Network DVD on Region 2 in 2008), the second disc contains two documentaries on Sir David Lean.

The First Documentary :

The South Bank Show : David Lean - A Life In Film (1985) (Running Time : 132 minutes approx)
This documentary traces the making of A Passage To India and examines Lean's life and work, with contributions from Lean himself, David Puttnam, John Box, Freddie Young, Omar Sharif, Sir Alec Guinness, Steven Spielberg and more.

The Second Documentary :

David Lean and Robert Bolt
(1990) (Running Time : 41 minutes approx)
This documentary examines one the great screen writing partnerships of all time and includes footage of them both discussing the unfilmed adaptation of Joseph Conrad's - Nostromo (which Lean was planning to direct).

(Please note that both documentaries have had minor edits made to them for contractual reasons, it does state this on the DVD).

Jay*W

Second Unit
Eric,

Sorry for another post -- I just realized that we're missing a couple of big ones on the master list that have been around for awhile:

Bette Davis: Stardust: The Bette Davis Story Bette Davis Collection Vol. 2 (this is on a separate disc in the box, so it belongs in the third of your categories) [PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED BY GREGORY MESH IN POST #40 ABOVE]

Will Rogers: An American Original Doubting Thomas (available only in Will Rogers Collection, Vol. 1)

Also thought it worth noting that the Capra documentary is also included in the Premiere Frank Capra Collection.

Jay

P.S. It's probably worth quoting the Gregory Mesh post that listed some more (with some hard returns added for ease of reference and some bracketed comments added by me):

Quote: Originally Posted by GregoryMesh

Stardust: The Bette Davis Story is exclusive to the second boxset of Bette Davis [SEE ABOVE]

There's also All About Bette and A Film Profile: Joan Crawford documentaries on What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? disc. [THESE ARE ON THE TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION -- NOT SURE WHAT THE CUT-OFF IS FOR "LENGTHY", BUT THIS CRAWFORD DOC. IS JUST UNDER 30 MINUTES]

Stagecoach disc includes American Masters profile: John Ford/John Wayne: The Filmmaker & the Legend documentary [ALREADY INCLUDED ON YOUR LIST]

Clark Gable: Tall, Dark and Handsome doc will be included on San Francisco disc.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks