What's new

DVD's That are Better than The Blue Ray Versions (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
While most Blue Rays are better (even if its just a little Bit)than Standard DVD
There are some that aren't ,The Only ones that I can Think of are

"Deliverance" Not great but I thought it was clearly better than the Blue Ray

"The Last Emperor" While not yet,so no one seen it,Unless they are doing
a New Transfer.which chances are million ro 1,the french and English Pal
versions which are 2.35:1 16x9 are easily better

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Why did you think Deliverance was better on SD than "blu" (I have the HD DVD, which I presume is identical, and it looks better than any other release of it I've seen)?

Can't speak to the other one as I've never seen it in any format.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
You're mad if you think DELIVERANCE looks better on SD than BD (and I assume the look is your issue since the bonus features are identical between the two on the Deluxe Edition and better on the BD vs. the first SD release); I can only assume you prefer the duller, darker look of the original snapper case DVD to the warmer, more colorful transfer of the Deluxe Edition. If that's your case, I respectfully disagree, but I know you're not alone. If, however, you are making the case that the SD of the Deluxe Edition is superior to the Blu-ray then, yeah, you're flat out mad.

Loregnum

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Hmm, i don't get why you'd say the last emperor bluray would look worse unless it has a new transfer. Seems to me that if it uses the same jig but has the extra resolution then logically it'd be better, even if ever so slight.

The only way I think a dvd would be superior to the blu-ray (assuming you are just talking about the A/V quality) would be if the blu-ray had worse sound and the transfer was full of artifacts that the dvd somehow doesn't have. I personally have yet to see an HD disc (hd dvd/blu-ray) with my own eyes that was worse than the dvd version. Some have appeared to be close to the dvd but still were slightly better.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
The only one that springs to mind immediately is the THX Evil Dead II DVD vs. its DNR'ed to hell and back BD counterpart. Some could make the argument that the THX Halloween DVD is better than the BD counterpart because of the color timing, but at least the BD has more detail than the DVD. With Evil Dead II, any detail that could've been there was lost as a result of filtering the crap out of the master. :angry:

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
This is not going to end well
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing Peter is stretching the intent of his subject with his example of The Last Emperor. I think he's arguing that the non-US SD releases are preferable over the upcoming US Blu-ray release because they are in OAR versus the Director and DP approved cropping of TLE from 2.35:1 to 2:1. But, that's a debate for another (already existing) thread.

Outside of the aspect ratio issue (which is not insignificant), I would expect Criterion's BD release of The Last Emperor has the potential to be one of the most beautiful images ever.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, I am most definitely *not* looking forward to seeing the Criterion announcement for TLE on BD unless they fix the MAR issue. :angry:

BTW, while there is another thread on the topic of the MAR-ed Criterion TLE in the SD subforum, there is *not* one here in the HD subforum, IIRC.

_Man_

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Not against this thread.
However...
being pro-SD DVD & anti-HD Disc, it should be in the SD Forum.

DVD Beaver has a comparison of "Deliverance".
Check it out!

Because they are "different" (don't fight over this), "BS Dracula" is one where some may prefer the SD over the HD. Same w/"Payback".

Sound on "T2" may be another SD 'win'.

Where's the BD's that are better than DVD's thread?!?!?! ;-)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I don't know if this is the proper place for this, but here goes:

Just an aside: the quality of the TCM broadcast of The Paradine Case proved to me that older movies shot 1.37:1 will rarely if ever need to be seen in high-def. Perhaps the newer televisions and Blu Rays will give more color depth to Technicolor movies like Gone with the Wind, but for black and white movies (many shades of gray), standard DVDs are fine, and look quite amazing.

High-def on Blu Ray will really help very widescreen movies such as the early Cinemascope movies like The Robe and How To Marry A Millionaire, because they are thin and wide, and the faces/closeups are generally smaller on a television monitor, lacking detail.

We watched Hello, Dolly! a few weeks ago, the standard DVD on my new 1080p plasma television, and it's pretty blurry. Needs the full definition Blu Ray.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Until, that is, you actually see some of those older movies in HD. There's a pretty good argument that old movies benefit more from HD than newer ones, because their picture quality was never limited by digital intermediates or CGI effects.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Sorry, I was just expressing my opinion.

I do own Casablanca on HD DVD. It looks great, really great, and I'm happy to have it, but the DVD from Warners is terrific too.

I've watched some high-def broadcasts of old films (like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington) on HDNet, and the extra definition brings out the details on the print (like scratches and dirt) that are better left hidden.

If they can restore every film like Casablanca, then I'll be happy buying the BDs. Otherwise, my DVDs for most older films are fine.

But I'll certainly replace all my widescreen movies with BDs, as soon as they are available.

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

If you have seen some of the unrestored, (but made from good prints), of the Bob Hope films you might change your mind here. My Favorite Brunette for instance shows an amazing level of detail.

I think you might also be disappointed with early CinemaScope films like The Robe. They were shot with the original Henri Chrétien lenses that Fox bought from him, and are very soft compared to the later films shot with lenses made by Bausch and Lomb.

Doug

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I don't care for the BD extended version of Stargate. The theatrical version is the best. In addition, I don't think the transfer to Blu was well done. There are several scenes where the film grain turns into a screenful of sparkles. The CGI for the short-distance-transporter-rings is pretty bad in BD, the DVD mushed it out so it at least looked believable.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"I would expect Criterion's BD release of The Last Emperor has the potential to be one of the most beautiful images ever"

Your right I was mostly thinking of the poor cropping,which will ruin any BR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks