What's new

Directors dvd's displayed or hidden? (1 Viewer)

matt*ms

Grip
Should dvd's be displayed? I've heard both sides about displaying all our dvd's or hiding them. My opinion should be to hide them, who needs another piece of furniture in the room. People are just trying to impress others by showing off their 300 dvd's. I'd like to hear from everyone.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Why should their being in the open and thus conveniently accessed be considered "showing off"?

MarcVH

Second Unit
Um, "hiding them" can also mean another piece of furniture in the room, such as a closed cabinet. Where else would you hide them, stacked up in a closet or something?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Hidden?? Are you serious? Hiding DVDs is for the type of person who "pretends" they never watch TV.

When we moved into our new apartment, my husband built mostly floor to ceiling shelves in our dining room. Practically every inch of wall space is a shelving unit. One is devoted specifically to cassette tapes (over 1000). Two are devoted specifically to CDs (about 1500). Three are devoted to video tapes (don't know, hundreds), and two are devoted to DVDs (about 1100). Oh, and under a bank of windows sits shelves devoted to over 1000 LPs).

Could we have hidden them? Yeah, we have a spare bedroom that's mainly used for magazines and junk, but why? It's OUR place, used by US, and not intended to "impress" anybody (how rude of you). If people come over and think we're weird (in a bad way) then they don't need to be coming over to our place. Our real friends think we're weird, but in a good way, and they're welcome. Then too, our living room is our home theater, with a ceiling-mounted front projector and big screen hanging from the ceiling at the other end. If they're weirded out by our DVDs in the dining room, they definitely don't want to be coming in to our living room.

Architectural Digest isn't going to be doing a piece on our apartment anytime soon (neither will Widescreen Review), but we're happy and we're cozy and we have no intentions of changing our place to fit some sort of cookie-cutter yuppie house mold.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Color me yuppie. Our main living room is British Colonial themed, and the DVD's are in an armoire, shelved by theme. None of the discs are actually in their cases--the 300-DVD changer is one of the best purchases I've ever made, and essential with a 2-year-old who wants 10 minutes of Lilo and Stitch, 20 minutes of Toy Story 2 and a couple of minutes of Elmopalooza.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks