What's new

DVDPlanet, DigitalEyes, DDDVD, etc... (1 Viewer)

mark-edk

Second Unit
I know that Deep Discount DVD is affiliated with Critic's Choice Video. Now I check on Digital Eyes, which used to be headquarted in TN, and they have a mailing address in Itasca IL, just like DDDVD and CCV (and the registration ownership for digitaleyes.net is to an email address at ccvideo.com). So has Digital Eyes been taken over by CCV?

Also, DVDPlanet, which I believe was started by Ken Crane's of laserdisc fame in CA, now also has an Itasca mailing address--in fact, it's the same PO Box as Digital Eyes! Have all 4 of these companies been merged into one?

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
dag, yo. DDD and DVD Planet have really gone downhill recently. I hope the same doesn't happen to Digital Eyes.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DDD used to be diggity dank, but lately it has been schwag.
I still haven't received Secondhand Lions from them, and that was released almost a month ago! I used to get the releases from them around the Tuesday of release, and many times the weekend before.

I appreciate their prices, but I hate the fact that their service has deteriorated.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I guess it's just like in any other industry these days. Mergers and buyouts and bankruptcies, until there are just 2 or 3 major players and that's it. This can create certain efficiencies that keep costs lower, but in the end the lack of competition will probably hurt consumers.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I thought they were all different companies but shipped from the same distributor. I know there is a big difference in customer service between Digital Eyes and DDD. Digital Eyes seems to be quicker and more responsive to problems, and is much better with exchanges then DDD. Also Digital Eyes offers monthly coupons and a frequent buyers club to earn extra cash credit on future purchases. In fact in the month of February they gave double reward points for all purchases shipped this month. DDD doesn't have the rewards program and coupons are very rare.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
I think there is more integration than just distributing. When I logged a complaint with the BBB concering Digital Eyes, the response back came from a "DVD Planet/Digital Eyes" customer service rep, so their CS resources seemed to have been pooled as well. Although, I didn't see any mention of DDD in the letter.

The response had to have been right up there with some of the worst "customer service" I've seen (they did nothing wrong, everything was my fault), but that's a whole 'nother story.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
According to this thread Digitaleyes claims to be a separate company. From my experience there does seem to be a difference in policies and pricing.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, my experience with DDD is that if you use the "Free Shipping" offer, you will get the DVDs you ordered in about 10 WORKING days even though they say the pre-orders they receive for unreleased titles will arrive on or just before their release date. Both my brother and sister work for the USPS as delivery supervisors and since DDD send their "Free Shipping" via USPS media mail it is in the hands of the USPS as to why these free shipped orders take so long. According to both my sister and brother, USPS media mail is low, low priority and only gets shipped right away if there is room on the trucks for those packages. Otherwise, 10 WORKING days, not counting Saturdays is the norm. As an example, I pre-ordered my copy of the Anchor Bay Divimax "Dawn of the Dead" DVD on January 16th. The movie was slated to be released on March 6th I believe. The movie shipped on the 4th of March and I did not get it until the 16th. Sometimes it is worth paying the extra few bucks for your order to go first class. Unfortunately, I paid $13.80 for my copy from DDD and it was being sold at Best Buy for $11.99 and at Wal-Mart for just under 15 bucks. Hence, I may not use DDD again. Basically I paid about a buck to wait 10 days for it.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
Digital Eyes, DDD, and DVD Planet are all owned by the same company. I've got a letter right here written on behalf of Digital Eyes with DVD Planet letterhead on it.

There is an obvious difference in pricing structure/policies between the three sites. I have no doubt the three are ran as separate entities, although it seems like they may share stock (that's just a guess) and, at least to some degree given this letter I have, customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks