What's new

DVD Video Problem Resource? (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Hi all.

If it is deemed that this topic should appear in another forum, please move it to the appropriate place. Also, I apologize if this topic has been addressed before, but a cursory search of a few of the forums did not turn up much.

I am wondering if there is a place here on the Home Theater Forum or an outside Web site that details video problems with a particular focus on DVD?

In my mind's eye, I see a site that tells you, for example, what is meant when someone uses the term "mosquito noise", what it results from, and, most importantly, a picture example of it. Ditto for other video phenomena, like edge enhancement, etc.?

Does anyone know of such a resource?

Many thanks in advance.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
mosquito noise is a motion artifact, so it's almost impossible to put a picture of. Basically you see dots dancing along hard edges like a swarm of gnats

Edge enhancement is trickey, because there are several forms, and the most common accusations of it aren't EE at all, but a compression artifact.

EE is done in the telecine process and can result in edge halos. Some compression techniques can result in a similar effect, but in many cases is NOT EE (which is why you hear people like Van Ling confused). Whether the compression based halos are a result of equipment, bad compression or simply people blowing a 720x480 source up way past its intended size has not yet been determined.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

Thanks for the information concerning mosquito noise and edge enhancement.

Considerable digging through Goggle did turn up this Web page, which appears to be Australian in origin:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Article...Artefacts.html

I'm afraid I do not know enough to know whether the information presented there is sufficiently accurate, however, most of the pictures associated with the artifacts described seem consistent.

Can anyone comment on the accuracy and completeness of the information presented there, as well as whether they believe any major types of video problems/artifacts were omitted?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks