What's new

DVD/VCR combo: What do you think? (1 Viewer)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
What do you think of a DVD/VCR combo. I got a phillips DVD/VCR combo for christmas I don't think it has progressive scan other than that is there anything wrong with having one in a mid level HT. Thanks

Ronn.W

Second Unit
If your happy with it, what does it matter what anyone thinks? I don't think I'd buy one for myself, mainly because I don't like the idea of combined electronics. I did buy one for my Mother last Christmas because she had limited space and needed a new VCR and had no DVD player. She's happy with it and the unit seems to work fine.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
the only problem with it is if one breaks both may go. integrated unit are usually cheaper and take up less space and are more convenient, however separates are suually of higher quality allow for cheaper upgrading and replacement.

in my experience the combo dvd-vcr players are usually only a few dollars less than comparable quality dvd and vcr separates. personally id rather spend the extra 20 so that in a few years if one breaks i only ahve a 200 dollar replacement not a 400 dollar one.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
A freind of ours REALLY wanted to give us one of those for Christmas. I hated the idea of having a VCR in a DVD player, that I went out and bought a real DVD player myself so he would be forced to buy us something else. I am happy with my decision. It's a great player, even though it was under $100.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You know, I ask that same darn question over a week ago and got not one response, here you will get 4. I got a Sylvania DVD/VCR Combo player from Sears as an open box special (118) and I'm happy with it. However it was for the bedroom and my wife really wanted one. It has SQPB (SVHS Quasi Playback), and that was the factor that made me get the machine. Other models with SQPB can start anywhere from 139 to over 200.00. I'm happy with it, S-Video out for DVD player, but I had to compromise with satellite receiver and used composite video for the satellite output. All in all not bad. But I personally would not use this one for my main HT connection. But I've seen some with progressive scan, 2:3 pulldown capabilities and SQPB. I don't think I would get one for the HT, just not comfortable with a dual player, there's got to be some compromise in quality based on the fact that both units are housed together.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
As Jerome said I would'nt use one for my main system but in a bedroom, family room, kids room or guest bedroom I think they would be ok. The big thing I would look for is one that could also dub non Macrovision encoded DVD's to tape. I know some will & some won't. I was looking for one a few months ago myself for a guest bedroom but I managed to pick up a new DVD player for $29.99 & a new VCR for $39.99 so I went with seperates at that price & I already know one or the other is going to break first :angry: But I supose I could always get rid of the guests & have them last a long time :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks