What's new

DVD Thinpak and other Slim Cases (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'll make the same argument I made way back when everyone had all sorts of different kind of cases, and we argued about whether WB's snappers vs. clamshell vs. clip, etc.. here's my thought:

CD Case. The current DVD case is the equivelent of a CD Long Box, majority trash.

After being a laserdisc purist for years (and keeping all my box sets in order) I now routinely pitch all the DVD packaging and insert discs either straight into one of the 200 disc/500 disc sleeved kits I have to lock them away while taking up little space.

Bill A

Grip
I too like the thin cases for multi-disc sets, and I agree with Sony's assessment that people would buy more DVDs if they didn't take up so much space (I sure would.)

Am I alone in blaming Warner Brothers for this mess? When I saw the picture of the prototype DVD box (Batman Forever) I couldn't believe that they weren't going to use a jewel case. I seem to remember that the Warner's decision for this was based on "wanting to make DVDs stand out" from CDs and VHS tapes. Sony tried to fix this by releasing their DVDs in both jewel cases and the longbox - leaving it to the marketplace to decide. Of course, the longbox won out; I assume that people wanted uniformity in their collections.

I almost hope that all the companies get together and decide to release DVDs in jewel cases - it would double shelf space.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't even mind the square jewel cases they use for DVD-A, at least it would be slightly different than the CD jewel case and it seems to be a bit more sturdy.

As long as they never digress and give us something similar to that damn Disney Clamshell VHS case :angry: Those things fit NO WHERE!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well there was some digression in box sets. HBO's Six Feet Under, that box doesn't fit on most standard DVD shelves either. The Sopranos style packaging was much better.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Man I hope htey never go jewel cases, those things are the work of Satan himself. Drop them and they instantly shatter, the hubs are for crap, and I've had the damned hinges break off literally as they just sat their in my CD rack. I rip all my CDs to MP3 so I don't have to risk scratching them, so they spend most of their time in my storage unit, and I have had them break as they were just sitting there, no joke.

FredK

Second Unit
These are great for boxsets, especially for something like the Godfather where the individual paper cases don't fold flush to eachother.

What will really suck is if a long term amaray release (I Love Lucy, etc.) went to these cases mid series.

This will introduce more variety to our shelves, at least we can say goodbye to the double thick plastic cases in favor of 2 disc amarays... at least I'm assuming they'll be gone if the studios are this keen on shelf space. It is interesting though because I would expect studios to want new releases to have larger and more attractive packaging to help sales.

I'd have no problem converting all of my cases to the smallest format, but the majority of existing spine imagry is not meant to fit the smaller case. I've been tempted to toss my dvd's into bulk binders, but I happen to enjoy some of the case presentation and don't want to toss it.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I've been tempted to toss my dvd's into bulk binders, but I happen to enjoy some of the case presentation and don't want to toss it.
You don't have to toss the art if you do this:

I use UniKeep "view case binders" for some - UniKeep binders are like entirely plastic 3-ring binders with no metal parts whatsoever (they feel like DVD cases, but they're for 8 1/2 x 11) and they are sealed on all sides (so no dust) and are incredibly modern and cool looking - perfectly flat, you can even stack them on their sides if you wanted to. I usually get the transparent ones so I can see the first film cover without opening it.

Filled with Avery page protectors for the cover art, and 3-ring-binder-style CD holders for the DVDs themselves.

All the ingrediants are available at Staples.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also agains jewelcase on every level- not only the most fragile storage format around, but it's also difficult to get liner notes out of a jewel case. I like amray, because it's durable and easy to use, but I like Digipak because of overall presentation quality. The slipcase and quality finish give the disc set an extra level of "cool".
Whatever format they go with in the future, I hope we never lose inserts. I really like the way the DS9 set looks.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Personally, having gotten Futurama last night, I still prefer gatefold packaging for multiple disc sets and regular sized cases for single disc sets. That said, I do have to admit that the Futurama packaging is pretty classy.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I now have Futurama, and I must say that I LIKE these cases for boxed sets. I would not, however, like to see them become the standard, as I still find the bindings hard to read unless you are right up upon them.

Wade K

Second Unit
I'm thinking of doing something similar to Nathan. I like the cases, and since I store my DVDs mainly in alphabetical order, I'm not that concerned if I can't read them from far away.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
These look like the ones the I Spy sets were re-released in.

Well, I look at those 21 ugly cardboard things with plastic snaps and the ink ripped off the cover when I took the store's security tape off and I think how beautiful 21 thin plastic cases would look.

But then again, my buying them at > $5.00 per episode in the early days is responsible for the TV Show on DVD explosion on DVD we see today.

That's how I keep my blook pressure low. ; )

Misha

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, you can't completely blame Warner for the non-use of jewel cases. Video stores didn't want to change their displays so they asked for a larger sized box than a jewel case.

I am working on a DVD pack right now that's going in thinpaks and they're great. They actually are pretty tough and they really do take up much less space. I haven't noticed a problem yet with keeping them closed. Our main problem is they can't be automatically assembled yet at most duplicators, so it's $$$$$.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Kerry, would you do a favor and try wedging a standard Amaray cover into the NexPak for me? Does it manage to fit even without trimming? I know the Amaray cover is larger by a few millimeters, but does it manage to squeeze in there anyhow, just by chance?

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
1) the jewel cases for the DVD-A's are too fragile. The hard plastic cracks with the slightest pressure.

2) I've got the Futurama set also. I love the thin paks. They are translucent, soft, plastic so the insert shows on the inside with information/graphics.

3) from my measurement, they are even a little thinner than 1/2 the normal size.

4) I'm running up against storage limits also and plan on going to these. Scan my originals, and photoshop a thinner spine, shouldn't be a problem after a few tries. Given the spine is thinner, I concede that it is harder to read them, but I can still see them with my 47 y.o eyes well enough.

Took me years to go over to the dark side:) . I still miss the great big beautiful graphics of Vinyl LP's, but the movies are taking up too much room.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have to tell you I like the Black Thinpack packaging. I toyed with the idea of going to Jewel thincases but abandoned it. The Plastic thinpak seems durable but it gives you a bit more room on the spine than the jewelcase. Can these be purchased anywhere if I wanted to do a Case Swapover and what's the expense?

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Will, you can get it in, but the wrap sheet wrinkles. You can close the case but it's obvious that the sheet's too big. (I hope that makes sense).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks