What's new

DVD-RP91 sharpness and settings (1 Viewer)

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,
Just set up my my black RP91 (good price and service from etronics.com BTW) and it looks pretty good (on my Mits WT46807) but I notice I have to crank up the sharpness settings an awful lot to get the best picture.
I used to run my with the sharpness at about 15% on my Mits with my old Toshiba DVD player connected via S-video. With the RP91 via progressive component, I have the Mits sharpness at about 55% and the RP91 in the 'U' mode mode with the various sharpness parameters at +1 to +3. (I do have edge at -1.) (Also, I have all the noise filters turned off.)
Is this what others have found? Picture looks good to excellent with these settings, but I want to make sure there is not a fault somewhere (probably in the AE35 unit...) that I am compensating for with all this sharpness tweaking. The weakest link (good-bye!) in my system is the component cable Mits provided with the WT46, so I will swap that around next. (Anyone ever try the AR cables, now at BB for about $30?)
Thanks for any observations.

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
My recommendations as well as many others is to have all U settings at "0". Your mitsubishi should be a 0 as well (along w/disabling your SVM in the service menu). Have you used avia or VE to adjust your set yet? If so, how about your convergance, geometry, overscan in the service menu? Those adjsutments will make a huge difference. Also w/Mitsubishis it is essential to add a red push attenuator to correct color.

MikeEn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jason,
Thanks for the inputs. I have indeed converged, mechanically focused, and electrically focused my Mits carefully. My HD pics (eg, CSI last night) look very, very sharp, which validates the focuses, and I rechecked the convergence on 480p/i. SVM is 1 at the moment on 480p. So the monitor is OK and capable of very good resolution.
Oh, and I do have an RPA built by Mr. Yeringto with his own twisted and arthritic fingers.
Should have said all that at first, maybe.
Was trying to cut to the chase -- the component signal from the RP91 requires the various sharpnesses to be set quite high, compared to my old Tosh. This just surprised me. The AVia test patterns also look better (more uniform brighness across resolution grids, right?) with the sharpnesses cranked a bit (except vertical, which causes artifacts).
When I do all this, the picture is sharp. Is this what others have found?
Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks