What's new

DVD review of Open Range? (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Watched most of the extras last night. Very well done. I particularly enjoyed the tribute to America's open range. It was very touching and thought provoking. I was a little surprised at the music video because it's (the song) not even in the film. I was also saddened to learn of the death of Michael Kamen, which I hadn't heard. Pardon me if it was mentioned above, but I missed it. I had heard of Michael Jeter's passing and thought he gave a very strong performance in this film.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Shocking death - he was too young and too talented to leave us so soon. His scores for Prince of Thieves and From the Earth to the Moon are personal favorites.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Now that the oscar nominations are all in, It appears that our Boss Spearman character played by Robert DuVall didn't get that nod we were all hoping for. Another Great performance that'll be just a "Should've been picked" for an oscar passed over just like Val's performance of Doc.

Whose disappointed?

Any comments welcomed.

Later,
Troy

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I agree. The film could also have done with a nomination for Cinematography and perhaps even film editing or even in the sound or sound editing category. I'm sure the shoot out at the end, as well as other scenes in the film demonstrate that the sound design was well done.

Unforgiven was the last western to win or be nominated if I'm correct, and it won for Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, and Film Editing. I believe it was also nominated for Actor, Art Direction, Cinematography, and I believe sound or sound editing. (you may want to check to be sure but I'm pretty certain). Sure this movie is no Unforgiven, and the two are very differetn movies, and maybe it just me, but some recognition for the film from the Academy would have been nice.

It seems most of the technical categories were taken up by action films or more popular films (I was not suprised to see both Matrix films did not get any nominations). But most of us here still think it was a great movie. I think watching the film and enjoyign the story, acting, and excitement in the film is an award itself. Films like this will often be remembered more than some films that were Oscar nominees or winners.

I could not help but watching the deleted scenes to think that some of them could have been left in. There were a few scenes that could have stayed intact, such as

Boss Spearman telling Charlie the names of his Wife and Daughter. It did sort of slow the pace of the scene before the shoot out, but it was well acted and something the audience would enjoy learning more about his character.

It woudl also have been nice to have kept extended or deleted scenes of Michaek Jeter's character in the film, since he provided, I think, the film's best supporting role next to Costner.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I am very disappointed that Duvall did not get nominated. I for sure thought it would be nominated for Duvall and Sound.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've actually almost finished my review for this title...but it seems that most of you here (especially Ron--just like old times!) have already done a fair job reviewing both picture/sound quality as well as the film itself:

Agreed.

Do you guys want me to go ahead and post my review or is this now "old news" on the forum? If I do post my review...Ron...what do you think about merging this thread into my review thread to keep the discussion localized?

-dave :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If you've taken the trouble to write it up, I see no reason why you shouldn't post it. Not everyone bought it on the release date. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Write it up David. Your opinion is just as valid and worth looking at as the rest. I'm also curious as to your opinion of the PQ. I'm pretty 50/50 because the set I viewed it on has a white issue going on with it so what I might be perceiving as alot of EE and no detail might not be the case.

Hometheaterhifi gave it a fairly good video review..

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe the film wasn't nominated for Sound or Sound F/X Editing. One of the most notable, intelligent uses of sound in a movie in a long time.

I guess Disney didn't promote the film hard enough.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave

With so many deleted scenes in the extras, it's too bad that they didn't just release a Director's Cut. They could have released the theatrical with it and add the Director's Cut in seamless branching. I think real fans of the film would rather watch it that way. it seemed most of the deleted scenes were pretty much finished with music and everything. It would have been nice.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Post a review in a new thread. That's how
the HTF REVIEWS are done here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks